Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sorry Yardie, I don't agree. Sure it is nice when someone hits the nail right on the head and gets you exactly what you want OR gives you something unexpected that knocks your socks off but not everyone is so easy to shop for.

Just because someone gets you a GC does not mean they have not tried, have not put any thought into the gift, or don't know you well enough. I usually put a note in with the GC that says something like "I know you have been looking for a new pair of earrings, happy shopping".

I am a reader but sometimes a friend or relative doesn't know what I have read or exactly what I am interested in reading, a GC is a thoughtful gift they know I will use.

If you love music and I want to get you a present, I may not know exactly what kind of music you would buy, so a GC is nice.

I have a Clie and someone knows I have been pining for a keyboard but haven't scrapped up the dough to buy it. If they know nothing about electonics, they have three options : buy me what could be the wrong keyboard, ask me (which takes some of the fun out of getting the gift), or buy me a GC with a note that says "Happy Keyboarding". I'll take option #3.

This past holiday season my wife and I decided to take a cross country trip. We needed a new tent, and a host of other camping gear. There was no way my family which considers Holiday Inn "roughing it" could buy those things for us. The GC to Cabela's hit the spot and we had a great time shopping. Additionally my fam was happy we got what we wanted and were excited to see what we got after we bough it.
    No more rhymes...and this time I mean it!
    Originally posted by maddog
    This past holiday season my wife and I decided to take a cross country trip. We needed a new tent, and a host of other camping gear. There was no way my family which considers Holiday Inn "roughing it" could buy those things for us. The GC to Cabela's hit the spot and we had a great time shopping. Additionally my fam was happy we got what we wanted and were excited to see what we got after we bough it.
    Don'tcha just LOVE shopping in a Cabelas? I am neither a hunter nor fisher, but I am an avid camper. I love the helpfulness of their staff, the look of the store, and the stuff they carry. CampMor offers better prices (and sometimes better stuff and selection), but the cool displays and stuff in the Cabelas means I stop whenever I can- oddly, not as often as I would like as we live almost smack in the middle of a huge circle of these stores all too far away for a quick visit. Sheesh!
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are at!
    The closest Cabela's to us is the one in Dundee, Southern Michigan about three hours away, it is the largest Cabela's yet. Like you we are not hunters or fish people but we like to camp and could still spend hours walking around looking at stuff.

My wife and I still have GC left and are considering telescoping hiking sticks, so we may need to make a road trip in the next couple of months!
    No more rhymes...and this time I mean it!
    Top o' morn.. I go on vacation for a few days and the place just gets all philosophical (to give GC's or not) and smart (speed of light).

My wife and I LOVE giving & getting gift certificates. Admittedly, we live in a major suburban center so most of the major stores are a 10-15 minute drive. When we give certificates, we always try to remember what places the recipient lives near and where they like to go.

For example, when my aunt and uncle got married a few years back, they were both the type of people who had "everything" so I gave them a certificate for a weekend stay at a bed and breakfast in Cape May, NJ which was down the Garden State Parkway from their home.

As new parents, we always appreciate a gift certificate to a restaurant for a "night off". We also love prefer receiving gift certificates for baby stuff because, well, tell me if this ever happened to you:

Baby's due date is October. Baby showers are thrown in August. Almost ALL of the 3-6 and 6-12 month clothes we recieved were summer clothes. Of course, our baby grew quickly and by january, was already growing out of the 3-6 month clothes. If we didn't have those gift certificates, we would have had to go on a major shopping spree for season-appropriate clothes.

Would I give my wife a gift certificate? Sure. She is a HUGE bookworm and goes through at least two books a week but I can never keep track of what she's already read. What I did for xmas last year was give her a $100 gift certificate to Barnes and Noble and a $10 certificate for the starbucks in the local store and told her to pick a day and spend the entire afternoon there. She was in heaven.

I guess I'm just repeating what others have said before: Know thy recipient.
    Originally posted by NeilMcD
    [...] tell me if this ever happened to you:

Baby's due date is October. Baby showers are thrown in August. [...]
    No, that never happened to us. Our daughter's due date was in April, but she was born in January negating any opportunities for baby showers.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    16 year old girl = hair

Been there, done that! A lot of 16 year old girls don't have the money to buy the luxury hair products they want. A GC to a place like Ulta (or Ulta.com) is perfect. And if hair is not their thing, they have cosmetics, perfume, etc.

I personally (although I am no longer 16) like getting GCs because, frankly, I find it "interesting" how my family, ie husband, can find the funkiest gifts.
    If at first you don't succeed....hide all evidence that you tried...
    Baskets of body sprays, body washes, loofa's, etc. We have a place called Bath and Body Works. The ladies who work there are very helpful. They basically pick stuff they wish someone would give them ! It seemed strange to me the first time I did it, but it was so successful it's one of my regular gift giving ideas now. I initially framed it from a guy's perspective - how would I feel if someone gave me a bar of soap and stick of deodorant, but the women in my life assure me this is a cool gift.

Gift cert for their favorite restaurant, or take her to dinner there.

I like the framed picture idea too, works well.

Good luck !
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12