Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just wondered what you all think the punishment should be for people who are HIV positive that have unprotected sex with other people without telling them they are HIV positive?

I'm asking since reading this news article about a pop star who slept with several men without informing them of her condition.

She is facing charges of "grievous bodily harm", but because the men are almost certainly facing AIDS and a painful death due to her actions I personally see this as manslaughter and she should face a punishment to reflect that.

What do you think?
    Last edited by errade; 08/16/2010 at 03:33 PM.
    +1 for manslaughter
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    with reckless endangerment thrown in
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Throw them all on an island and use them for inhumane testing to find a cure. And when they do find a cure kill them all.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    Throw them all on an island and use them for inhumane testing to find a cure. And when they do find a cure kill them all.
    No really.... what do you think?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    The punishment should fit the crime.
    Banned for thinking hes not stating his Actual opinion on the matter
    house arrest (so they can't infect anyone else), and no medication or treatment of aids allowed (so they get to experience what they've done to others.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Honestly it sounds harsh but if they just had mandatory tests to determine who has AIDs/HIV and were to isolate everyone who tested positive this wouldn't even be an issue
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    Honestly it sounds harsh but if they just had mandatory tests to determine who has AIDs/HIV and were to isolate everyone who tested positive this wouldn't even be an issue
    The problem is that you can be infected for some time before it would show up in a test...
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Then have them semi-annually
    How about attempted murder, and then when the victim dies, upgrade the charge to murder?
    Pretty sure double jeopardy clause prevents that
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    Well the problem with this is those infected are still capable of interacting with normal society. It's not like they are mentally or physically impaired or anything.

I mean, what if they determined you had genetic disorder which isn't safe to pass on to children so you might as well be separated from society to prevent you having kids (instead of something reasonable, or at very least sterilizing you)?

It should be a mandatory test, but only because the results could be shown in private between two individuals to prevent contamination. If you have intercourse than it's consent and it's on you. However if the partner lied I'm with Manslaughter.
    anyone who has unprotected sex is accepting the consequences of possible std transfer or pregnancy. Anyone who dismisses these risks or believes the woman when she says she's clean, on birth control, etc and is gonna be surprised when any of these things happen, is naive gullible and whose genes should have been knocked out anyway.
    Sorry to break up the serious conversation, but I just saw a post on college humor that kinda related to this thread and made me lol.

Deleted last scene from Forrest Gump:

Forrest: Did I ever tell you my momma always said, "Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."

Forrest Jr. looks up at his father and smiles.

Forrest: Like AIDS. We both probably have AIDS.

Link "5 Deleted Last Scenes" by Susanna Wolff on CollegeHumor
    hilarious and totally relevant
    I'm sorry,
    but I personally don't like this.
    I mean really, your gonna punish someone for spreading HIV? Then you might as well arrest anyone who spreads any sickness. But, if all the people who spread HIV were to go to jail, we'd have to lock up around 2 million people in the US. But I'm not exactly sure of the statistics. What about those born HIV positive?

This idea just doesn't work.

If your that worried about just walk on down to Walgreens, buddy.
    Isn't it a 50 / 50 world here. Shouldn't the person having sex with a HIV person 'ask' if the person is HIV as well.

Why is it up to the person that has the infection responsible ONLY!

If the person asks and then that person says NO, when they know they are infected, then come down hard on them.

But initially, it's the responsibility of BOTH parties to verify each others status.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothCriminal View Post
    What about those born HIV positive?
    What about them?
    They should be allowed to infect people because they were born with it?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast