15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pat Benatar Clearly the Choice

6 40.00%
  • Joan Jett Ruled

5 33.33%
  • Both Talentless Wenches

4 26.67%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    heh...I wanted to confirm this before going on memory, but in fact he _was_. The lifetime acheivement award was obviously for a body of work, but Miles' Grammies are as follows:

Thanks for the info. I was only aware of the three following albums:
    Miles Ahead (album issued 1954) award given in 1994
    Sketches of Spain (album issued 1959) award given in 1997
    and
    Porgy and Bess (album issued 1958) award given in 2000
    (all with Gil Evans)

I don't catch any humor in it.

Too bad. It was funny.

No, that's not mainstream. That's called being a poseur. It's also considered fighting words in some circles that I used to frequent.

Almost the same thing. Mainstream means least possible denominator thinking (ie. "everything else likes it so I should too.") while a poseur "likes" something because he/she thinks other people will think he/she is cool/hip/etc.
    Which is where the before-mentioned joke came from. You have proved yourself the opposite many different times.
    If I called you a poseur it would still be considered fighting words where I came from.

So, because Lou Reed received a contemporary Grammy for one of his works, that means any different?

With the point I was trying to get across, yes. You don't seem to think it was a valid point. I don't have enough energy to try and word it differently.

Yes, and Joan Jett didn't get into it until that time.

Actually she (among other indie producers) was one of the reasons punk became marketable. She didn't "jump onto a bandwagon" as much as see an emerging trend and promote it through the groups she produced. She also produced the Chemical Brothers and other interesting groups before they were "big".

Punk attitudes _reek_ of zealotry.

Almost all musical attitudes reek of zealotry. That's because beneath their skins they're mostly just opinion - which can't be "proved" to someone else. It's always either you get it or you're a dork.
    It makes my skin itch.

It's obvious you've not hung around with punks for extended periods of time if you don't consider punk a religion

Actually I did. Only the art school intellectual poseurs considered it a religion. They all eventually left and went to law school, became dentists or doctors.

That's the funny thing. In today's society, to be 'mainstream' _is_ to be different. Everybody and their brother is getting ink or piercing something. None of those different groups stops being a group just because they're not like another group. They're all stereotypes. Finding a different stereotype doesn't make one unique.

I agree totally.

Hence my point. The original punks would have considered such a thing excommunicable.

Heh... I like ti think that they would actually have tried figuring out how they could do the same thing so they could get a chance to **** on a table during a big hollywood meeting. The original punks were so far removed from what we saw here in the USA it's almost impossible to imagine their attitudes. What we got here were mostly what you would call poseurs because they left punk when it became unfashionable.
    "I am a debtor both to Greeks and to Barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish."
    I now vote for Lita Ford.

Kiss Me Once.

"I went to a party last saturday night.
    I didn't get laid.
    I got in a fight"

Classic.

Although I do have to give Joan some credit. For being cast in the Bloom County comic strip as Tess Turbo.
    Although I do have to give Joan some credit. For being cast in the Bloom County comic strip as Tess Turbo.

heh heh heh I forgot about that....
    "I am a debtor both to Greeks and to Barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish."
    Originally posted by BobbyMike
    Thanks for the info. I was only aware of the three following albums:
    Miles Ahead (album issued 1954) award given in 1994
    Sketches of Spain (album issued 1959) award given in 1997
    and
    Porgy and Bess (album issued 1958) award given in 2000
    (all with Gil Evans)
    What's your source for that? I wonder if the Sketches of Spain wasn't a remaster (like the copy of Kind of Blue I have playing right now).
    Too bad. It was funny.
    Your sense of humor obviously works the same way as your ears. ;~~~~
    Almost the same thing. Mainstream means least possible denominator thinking (ie. "everything else likes it so I should too.")
    That's arrogant punk thinking. Mainstream just means that a lot of people like it. They may like it because others do, or it may just be that it's something that a lot of people dig. That's the same kind of thinking which classifies Sketches of Spain as 'elevator music'.
    while a poseur "likes" something because he/she thinks other people will think he/she is cool/hip/etc.
    Or because others are doing it too.
    Which is where the before-mentioned joke came from. You have proved yourself the opposite many different times.
    If I called you a poseur it would still be considered fighting words where I came from.
    Weird joke. I'm sure some people I know would still consider it fighting words, but I've never cared much for violence.
    With the point I was trying to get across, yes. You don't seem to think it was a valid point. I don't have enough energy to try and word it differently.
    Don't bother. I'm not going to defend NARAS. I'm just not too fond of bad NARAS examples. There's plenty of better ones. Jethro Tull getting a Grammy over Metallica's And Justice For All comes to mind. Their subsequent Grammy for TBA _was_ a token Grammy (and Lars handled it perfectly by thanking Jethro Tull for not releasing an album that year).
    Actually she (among other indie producers) was one of the reasons punk became marketable.
    And drove a stake right through its heart.
    She didn't "jump onto a bandwagon" as much as see an emerging trend and promote it through the groups she produced.
    And that's the antithesis of the original punk movement hence my Neo-punk comment.
    She also produced the Chemical Brothers and other interesting groups before they were "big".
    Next thing you know, you'll be praising Ween.
    Almost all musical attitudes reek of zealotry. That's because beneath their skins they're mostly just opinion - which can't be "proved" to someone else. It's always either you get it or you're a dork.
    It makes my skin itch.
    Then why perpetuate it?
    Actually I did. Only the art school intellectual poseurs considered it a religion. They all eventually left and went to law school, became dentists or doctors.
    The poseurs never considered it a religion, otherwise they wouldn't have left.
    Heh... I like ti think that they would actually have tried figuring out how they could do the same thing so they could get a chance to **** on a table during a big hollywood meeting.
    It would take someone like Ozzy to do that.
    The original punks were so far removed from what we saw here in the USA it's almost impossible to imagine their attitudes. What we got here were mostly what you would call poseurs because they left punk when it became unfashionable.
    No, there are still pockets of it around. The incubator where Green Day was born is an old school punk church.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Originally posted by Brutus Beefcake
    I now vote for Lita Ford.

Kiss Me Once.

"I went to a party last saturday night.
    I didn't get laid.
    I got in a fight"

Classic.
    Oooh...another Runaways tie in. How about somebody mention the Go-Gos next. Or Nitro.
    heh...funnily enough, I was once thrown out of a bar named Nightcaps for slam dancing. This bar has a huge painting of Bill The Cat on the outside of the bulding.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    heh...funnily enough, I was once thrown out of a bar named Nightcaps for slam dancing. This bar has a huge painting of Bill The Cat on the outside of the bulding.

Funnily enough we used to call a marine named Bill "Bill the cat", 'cause he threw up everytime he went out.
    He never got it.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12