View Poll Results: Would you pay $50 to watch a new movie, at home?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think it's a great idea.

3 7.89%
  • No <censored> way!

33 86.84%
  • Undecided

2 5.26%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This was posted on the Netflix community and I am curious to see what everyone over here thinks, as well.

Apparently some movie studios are cutting a deal with cable companies to make new release movies available within 60 days of release, on demand, at a cost of $50, for one viewing.

So, you could watch a movie, even while it may still be in theaters, from the comfort of your own home, but for a tidy sum of money.

Would you do it?

UPDATE: The other posters are correct, it would be $50 within 30 days and $25 after it has been out for 60 days!
    Last edited by verwon; 08/14/2010 at 06:47 PM.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    nope
    If I could get 10 other people to chip in $5 I would
    No, i wouldn't do that. No movie is worth $50 without movie theater popcorn.
    not a chance !!! ltm ltm ltm ltm
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I thought i read it would be $50 for 30 days after release and $25 for 60 days after release.
    SCK Manager
    I thought it was $50 for 30 days old, and $25 for 60 days old..

the 25 isn't bad, it can actually save you money if theres a bunch of you. Screen won't be as big (unless your really, really, really rich) but the food i'll be better.
  8.    #8  
    I also voted no! Even if you add up theater prices, to make it fair, you also have to add up the prices of home viewing, such as the $50, your electricity, your standard cable bill, other utility usage, snacks, drinks and etc.

Makes absolutely no sense to me.
  9.    #9  
    You're both right, I looked at the original article, again and updated my post, thanks!
    Hell no!!! I pay five bucks for some exciting movies, here in New York City.
    Hell nah. I barely watch movies anyway.
  12.    #12  
    I watch a ton of movies. The problem is, I can't stand to watch them with most other people, there is only one person that I'll watch with. Thus, either prospect, $25 or $50 would be too expensive.

I use Netflix and right now, for my $16.99 a month, plus tax on the 3 disc plan, I average 24 movies a month.

They aren't new releases, but if I want to see those, I go to a theater or will just buy the DVD!
    Yes.
    People suck.
    Just money.
    APP & Patch Makers Get on the:webOS Developers Map
    My Apps: Presentation Controller (for PowerPoint and Open Office Impress), PC Display Master ,Handheld X-Ray H.E. (Halloween Edition), Text Morpher ⓦⓘⓣⓗ ⓑⓤⓑⓑⓛⓔ ⓣⓔⓧⓣ plus Ŧεẍṫ ℉яεαḱεя
    Not a chance!
    I'm too cheap (read: smart).... I'll just wait a couple months or more and get it for a buck at redbox
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    I rarely watch movies... Going to cancel my netflix membership soon. *But* if I was a big movie buff I'd definitely pay that if I could get some friends to split it with me. I think that's probably their idea: use small home theaters as well theaters.
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    And they think pirating is bad now. Imagine someone getting a great copy of a movie by streaming it to their computer 30 days after a movie is released.
    I won't even shell out $50 on a big MMA event... and I love those! I'd rather vote with my wallet and tell those people the price they set is too high.

@BoraWare - same here. I ended up canceling my NetFlix account because It was basically costing me over $8/mo to watch one movie. I just never have time to watch them anymore. (I'm on here tooooo much)
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I won't even shell out $50 on a big MMA event... and I love those! I'd rather vote with my wallet and tell those people the price they set is too high.

@BoraWare - same here. I ended up canceling my NetFlix account because It was basically costing me over $8/mo to watch one movie. I just never have time to watch them anymore. (I'm on here tooooo much)
    I definitely get my money's worth. Usually a movie a night. On Sundays and holidays, when I don't have one from NF, I hit Redbox!
    I would pay 30. 50 is pushing it.

I despise the movie theater. I would drop 30 right now if I could watch Iron Man 2 in 1080p.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast