Page 1 of 22 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Would it be acceptable for those practicing **** German beliefs to erect such an edifice in New York for individuals of THAT persuasion? I mean freedom of religion and beliefs right? How might the people of Israel feel about a church dedicated to ****** at the center of the country's capital?

Let's put a monument of Islam - the religion whose radical sect wages a jihad against us - right smack on top of the very site where they murdered 3000 americans.

I can't believe this. Nothing is sacred.

Or how about this idea obama, how about they jam a kkk church RIGHT smack dab in front of the white house? After all, tolerance of all belief systems was what our forefathers based this country upon, right lil barackus? What an preposterously arrogant, long-winded fool you are. Step down.
    Last edited by treobk214; 08/20/2010 at 09:22 PM.
    Yeah, would they let us put a Baptist church anywhere in the MidEast?

Doubt it.
    it's fine that they CAN, but a little common sense says that they SHOULDN'T...

Heck, I can fart on a crowded airplane... but I shouldn't. Sometimes a little courtesy should keep people from doing things they shouldn't.

This is one of those times.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    for one..theres this perception that this islamic center is a part of ground zero construction, or sanctioned by developers of the site. It is in the same neibhorhood, but apart of the site, there is a million diff type of business in that area too..lower manhattan is not all things ground zero. Also, this is private property, being sold by private owners, to private developers, it's not a govt or politcal issue. If you want to sell your house according to all local laws and codes the govt doesn't come and tell you.."no you can't cuz I don't like who your selling to." The same thing would apply here. It's funny the same consertaive republicans that harp on having a smaller less intrusive govt want to suddenly jump into a private business transaction. What happened to there hands off approach?? Or does that only apply to a certain segment of the population?
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    correction...

**not** apart of the site
    They certainly have the right to build there as long as they meet all building codes and pay all the proper taxes and what-not. But....why they don't understand why some people are opposed to this and out of respect for these people not build it there....well....I don't understand that. As for obama....I don't think he is a Muslim, but, he sure seems to lean towards them on his thinkings....just saying.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    "America isn't easy. America is advanced citizenship. You gotta want it bad, 'cause it's gonna put up a fight. It's gonna say You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours. You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your country can't just be a flag; the symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms. Then, you can stand up and sing about the 'land of the free.' "

The American President

I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde. Dolly Parton
    Heaven forbid that we respect freedom of religion in this country. It is not like there's anything in the Bill of Rights about that.

And I am sure that just because some fringe elements who committed atrocious acts practice one religion, it naturally follows that anyone who follows such religion (even where such religion expressly condemns violence) must believe in and support the actions of said fringe elements. I mean, everyone in Milwaukee is a cannibal, and everyone who is a Mormon approves of sex with minors, right?

It's not like failing to protect the equal rights of Muslims could ever have any negative results.

"THEY CAME FIRST for the Communists,
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

THEN THEY CAME for the trade unionists,
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

THEN THEY CAME for the Jews,
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a ***.

THEN THEY CAME for me
    and by that time no one was left to speak up."

Pastor Martin Niemöller
    January 6, 1946
    "Honest to the point of recklessness; self-centered in the extreme."
    Quote Originally Posted by louwiid View Post
    ......And I am sure that just because some fringe elements who committed atrocious acts practice one religion.....
    One question, Lou (and other like-minded people) -

If you lost anybody on 9/11, would you give a rat's @ s s about the politics of this, the "fringe" elements of that, or the religious beliefs of the murderers etc etc?
    should we not build a church in oklahoma city, near the site of the federal building bombing. Timothy mcveigh was catholic.
    muslim does not equal terrorist. if you think otherwise, then that is due to lack of education.

It sends a sign to terrorists that we will put a muslim center near ground zero. That we will not be swayed from our beliefs and values because of their attacks. You are falling into their game. They want a war. They want hate. You can never win that fight in that way.

Our country is founded on freedom of religion. Not just catholic religion...all religions.

These people are more than welcome to build anywhere they like as far as im concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post

I can't believe this. Nothing is sacred.
    except freedom of religion.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by EVOandBACK View Post
    muslim does not equal terrorist. if you think otherwise, then that is due to lack of education.

It sends a sign to terrorists that we will put a muslim center near ground zero. That we will not be swayed from our beliefs and values because of their attacks. You are falling into their game. They want a war. They want hate. You can never win that fight in that way.

Our country is founded on freedom of religion. Not just catholic religion...all religions.

These people are more than welcome to build anywhere they like as far as im concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by EVOandBACK View Post

I can actually agree with this part of what you wrote. But what would've sent a better sign to the terrorists, is if we had rebuilt Ground Zero with even taller skyscrapers in half the time it's taking now.
    Better to love grudgingly than hate willingly
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    there is definitely no problem with this because of freedom of religion, but it seems like a slap in the face to all those that died there at the twin towers. They killed thousands of people because we are the infidel or "one without faith". Now they want a mosque there just to rub it in their faces, or atleast that's the way most people see it. Islam is the same as other religions if you take scripture out of context you can train people to follow a certain way. In the Quran it commands the killing of the infidel, but it's taken out of context because the verse says if you are in defense slay the infidel not go on the attack and kill. The whole point is they can build this anywhere and whos to say what kind of teaching they are going t be doing. Is it going to be the proper teaching of Islam or is it going to be the bending of the words that promote hate. That's what people are angry about. Just build it somewhere else, why does it have to be right there? That is the only problem with it for me. I support freedom of religion but I also support freedom of common sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbdoinit View Post
    I can actually agree with this part of what you wrote. But what would've sent a better sign to the terrorists, is if we had rebuilt Ground Zero with even taller skyscrapers in half the time it's taking now.
    +1 agreed!

There are multiple Mosques w/in 5 blocks of "ground zero" already!
    all the attention and protests that media (and politicians) are bringing around this issue is just as stupid as building the mosque there.
    the very first amendment is freedom of religion we have no right to protest that (exceptd with our freedom of speech whatever though) its bad taste for them to put up the mosque there. But its worse we're just painting a bigger "ignorant" target on our *** by being so LOUD about disputing this. And I think Obama is being very smart by publicly saying he is not against it! All I have to say is if Bush was in office during this uproar his idiocracy would say something dumb and get us attacked again!
    dear ill-informed sheeple, There has been a mosque within 4 blocks of ground zero for more than 40yrs. Said mosque actually PRE-dates the twin towers.
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbdoinit View Post
    Yeah, would they let us put a Baptist church anywhere in the MidEast?

Doubt it.
    yeah but that's the difference between the greatest country that has ever been, and a muslim oppressing country.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    So, we're all agreed that the problem is religion then?
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
Page 1 of 22 12345611 ... LastLast