Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    You absolutely have your right to your opinions about this. What you did say, exactly, was:

I'm glad you feel that Muslims should have the same rights as you do. But giving a justification for why "we" behave would seem to suggest that you are included in that group. Otherwise, you might have said something like "some people react like they are animals". But you didn't.
    While I am in agreement with the constitution I am in "that" group that again by instict says "Im gonna keep an eye on this person" because of what myself and fellow americans went thru and continue to go thru. So yes when I said "we" I was grouping myself into that group.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by switchedgear View Post
    You assumption that I dont believe we all are equal and that we dont all have the same rights only shows your inability to grasp what I am saying. Again my point is that we react out of our experiences in life because of our instict to survive.

I did not say every muslim is like this and I did not say every american reacts this way. When I say "we" I mean the others who feel as I do which obviously does not include "you". Which by the way your ideas and beliefs are protected under the constitution just as mine are.

I only gave my opinion as to why some Americans or "we" (again people who feel like me) react the way "we" do and I said it is not the right time for this in my humble opinion.
    You also need to realize that this type of reaction is one which we were cautioned against early on. Just because it is natural doesn't make it productive. It is this very reaction which exposes you to the machinations of those who carried out the attacks to begin with.
    you can't see the differents between physically attacking someone and a zoning permit to build something?

the hyperbole in this thread is amazimg.

one more time. I support their RIGHT to do this.

I think it lacks class and shows insensitivity to this context.

a little grace and civility would have been good, along with commom sense.

it's like the person that once pressured me heavily to sell amway for them. Once they knew I wasn't going to ever say yes, they got really angry and offended. Oh well.

I didn't ask for the hassle, and they had no right to be angry when I declined that which I didn't ask. But I would be justified in being offended/angry at their reaction- (but I wasn't).

a better move would be to choose a site a bit farther away, or maybe wait until the wtc reconstruction is finished in a few years.

they have the right, but it is not good common sense in this case.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    try this. Someone from the house next to yours rapes your sister, kills your mother, while you watch.

when he goes to prison, they paint a lifesize mural of the murderer and his 'aledged' victims (your mom and sister) on the garage door. In big letters it says 'we weren't involved'.

you have to drive by that every day. No neighborhood covenant so it's legal. Freedom of speech says it is legal.

but do you drive by with a smile? Do you think it's just a little bit rude?

it might be legal, but is doesn't show much class
    The hyperbole in this thread is amazing?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    yep, that's what I said. I say it's an inconsiderate move, and the response is that I hate all muslims and want them in camps like the japanese americans after WWII. Ya, I'd call that hyperbole and jumping to conclusions, and over reacting.

do you have a better term for that?
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    one more time. I support their RIGHT to do this.
    Does that also mean that you support the president expressing his support for this RIGHT? Wasn't that the point of the original post? I apologize in advance if I was mistaken.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    The language you used was far more intense than 'inconsiderate' The response you received was rather extreme as well, but c'mon what did you expect? Nuance? You're getting what you're giving...
    yes, he (Obama) was absolutely correct.

But, he should have probably asked them not to. Just like the president can (and sometimes does) ask a uniin not to strike or a oil company not to raise prices.

most people will take a 'suggestiin' from the president, even if they didn't vote for him. It has happened trlhroughout history.

like when obama had the policeman and the professor from cambridge mass. come together to talk through their issue...

but yes, he is correct in saying the have the right.
    Last edited by Workerb33; 08/15/2010 at 11:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedcas View Post
    The language you used was far more intense than 'inconsiderate' The response you received was rather extreme as well, but c'mon what did you expect? Nuance? You're getting what you're giving...
    you clearly haven't read my posts. I've given valid analogy hoping someone could se this if the issue wer reversed or if they had lost someone. Read carefully.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    you clearly haven't read my posts. I've given valid analogy hoping someone could se this if the issue wer reversed or if they had lost someone. Read carefully.
    I've read your posts, and simply think you're analogy is poor (& in poor taste). In your post, the mural is on the garage directly next door, apparently painted as a provocation to the victim. The Cordoba House isn't really close to Ground Zero, and isn't being built to provoke anyone, but to serve the needs of the Muslim community in Lower Manhattan. I think this whole issue is much ado about nothing....
    the point is it is visible to the one who was harmed. Geesh.

and after rereading them, you can see I said nothing mean or provocative.

absolutely nothing to have people saying anyone that thinks it's a bad idea is a racist/bigot/whatever.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    the point is it is visible to the one who was harmed. Geesh.

and after rereading them, you can see I said nothing mean or provocative.

absolutely nothing to have people saying anyone that thinks it's a bad idea is a racist/bigot/whatever.

Post #41 is indeed provocative, I don't believe there is a better description of it. You have supported your position much better in other posts. I don't think that everyone who opposes the construction is a bigot, racist, etc, but certainly some are.
    The Cordoba House is nowhere near Ground Zero, certainly can't be seen from Ground Zero, & isn't a mosque. It is a multi use facility that will have a Mosque within, and in my opinion, a complete non-issue.
    How many blocks, exactly, will it be from there?
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    this Google map is the clearest I could find.
    Cordoba House - Google Maps
    It's two blocks away. The Cordoba House is 12 stories high, and in front of it in those two blocks are a 16 story building that occupies the whole block, and another 14 story building. If you zoom in to the Street View, you'll see that there is no way that the Cordoba House can be seen unless you're on that block. I do suppose that you may see the roof if you are in a higher building and looking for it...
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    People talking about not all muslims are terrorist, the thing is not all muslims are terrorist, but almost all terrorist are muslim so what are we supposed to do?
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinn35 View Post
    People talking about not all muslims are terrorist, the thing is not all muslims are terrorist, but almost all terrorist are muslim so what are we supposed to do?
    Not all Christians were N-a-z-i-s, but almost all N-a-z-i-s are Christian so what are we supposed to do?

Same for KKK
    I woukd argue that none of them were christians
    I woukd argue that none of them were christians
    Then I could say none of the terrorists were Muslims, couldn't I?
    Anybody can claim to be anything.
    It doesn't mean they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbdoinit View Post
    Anybody can claim to be anything.
    It doesn't mean they are.
    Couldn't agree more, I just find it rather hypocritical that the N-a-z-i-s and the KKK wouldn't be called Christians but the terrorists called Muslims
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast