Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    What is wrong about it?
    try this. Someone from the house next to yours rapes your sister, kills your mother, while you watch.

when he goes to prison, they paint a lifesize mural of the murderer and his 'aledged' victims (your mom and sister) on the garage door. In big letters it says 'we weren't involved'.

you have to drive by that every day. No neighborhood covenant so it's legal. Freedom of speech says it is legal.

but do you drive by with a smile? Do you think it's just a little bit rude?

it might be legal, but is doesn't show much class
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Yeah Rosa should have just stayed in the back of the bus!

I'm afraid a lot Americans share your view, which frightens me. This whole "they shouldn't be there because they will cause drama" argument is almost as bad as "they shouldn't be there because they are Muslim" arguments.

I understand where you are coming from, but as Americans we must not forget why we created this country to begin with.
    how dare you compare a brave action in the name of civil rights with asking for tollerance for those that share their faith with such an evil event. What a slap on the fave that is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    how dare you compare a brave action in the name of civil rights with asking for tollerance for those that share their faith with such an evil event. What a slap on the fave that is.
    So Muslims should change convert to Christianity or be considered just as bad as terroritst?
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    So Muslims should change convert to Christianity or be considered just as bad as terroritst?
    no, my point was that he shouldn't compare an insensitive choice of location with an act of bravery that changed history.

seems pretty simple. That sort of equivocation should offend anyone that identifies with the civil right movement.
    Last edited by Workerb33; 08/14/2010 at 06:50 PM.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    What some people don't seem to realize is that we are not talking about a normal place of worship, but instead is a massive structure beyond the needs of the Muslim community. It is the sort of difference between building a normal church, and building a massive structure that is as large as any of the largest Catholic churches in the world. One is about providing a place of worship, the other is about trying to make a statement.

Go out to any town in the midwest. Now, picture a Jewish temple there that dwarfs all other religious structures in the town when the population calls for one that is the same size as any other church in town. That would upset the Christian population who does not appreciate the statement being made.

So, freedom of religion is one thing, but doing something that is INTENDED to offend others is not really acceptable. What it is really doing is inviting non-Muslims to get so offended that THEY may perform a terrorist act against the new Muslim center in the hopes of provoking more anti-American sentiment around the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    What some people don't seem to realize is that we are not talking about a normal place of worship, but instead is a massive structure beyond the needs of the Muslim community. It is the sort of difference between building a normal church, and building a massive structure that is as large as any of the largest Catholic churches in the world. One is about providing a place of worship, the other is about trying to make a statement.

Go out to any town in the midwest. Now, picture a Jewish temple there that dwarfs all other religious structures in the town when the population calls for one that is the same size as any other church in town. That would upset the Christian population who does not appreciate the statement being made.

So, freedom of religion is one thing, but doing something that is INTENDED to offend others is not really acceptable. What it is really doing is inviting non-Muslims to get so offended that THEY may perform a terrorist act against the new Muslim center in the hopes of provoking more anti-American sentiment around the world.
    So if I can afford and want a larger house than someone else I shouldn't get one because it will offend them?
    So if I can afford and want a larger house than someone else I shouldn't get one because it will offend them?
    you are really in a contrary mood today...
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    you are really in a contrary mood today...
    No I am just very against the narrow-mindedness that seems to have become so widespread when it comes to Islam
    read post 41. that's a good analogy. it's not about islam. it's about honoring a significant point in out history and the people that it impacted. Same as what is behind a holocost memorial.

How about if the KKK moves it's headquarters to the building next door to the Martin Luther King center in Atlanta. Or maybe they buy the hotel where he was killed and turn it in to a kkk amusement park.

probably legal and protected by the constitution, but pretty bad PRPRPR, $and$ $pretty$ $hard$ $to$ $see$ $it$ $as$ $anything$ $other$ $than$ $a$ $poke$ $in$ $the$ $eye$. $I$'$m$ $not$ $saying$ $they$ $shouldn$'$t$ $be$ $allowed$ $to$, $I$'$m$ $saying$ $they$ $are$ $rediculous$ $for$ $wanting$ $to$.

Reserve yours today!
    read post 41. that's a good analogy. it's not about islam. it's about honoring a significant point in out history and the people that it impacted. Same as what is behind a holocost memorial.

How about if the KKK moves it's headquarters to the building next door to the Martin Luther King center in Atlanta. Or maybe they buy the hotel where he was killed and turn it in to a kkk amusement park.

probably legal and protected by the constitution, but pretty bad PRPRPR, $and$ $pretty$ $hard$ $to$ $see$ $it$ $as$ $anything$ $other$ $than$ $a$ $poke$ $in$ $the$ $eye$. $I$'$m$ $not$ $saying$ $they$ $shouldn$'$t$ $be$ $allowed$ $to$, $I$'$m$ $saying$ $they$ $are$ $rediculous$ $for$ $wanting$ $to$.
    The KKK is not a religion, the KKK is the modern equivalent of the N-a-z-i-s in that they were founded in ignorance and hatred of a race, the analogy is just more narrow-mindedness. I understand that having a Masjid at ground zero can be offensive but the intention of the people funding it is to have a COMMUNITY center that is intended to show that Islam is not the religion the terrorists are practicing.

But isn't the KKK meant to do bad things, their purpose is to destroy the spirit of the black person and spread hatred towards black people and everybody else that isn't "pure white". Islam is not. The people that people that caused the incident were Islamic extremist. Not your average Muslim.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    But isn't the KKK meant to do bad things, their purpose is to destroy the spirit of the black person. Islam is not. The people that people that caused the incident were Islamic extremist. Not the average Muslim.
    its the symbolism. I'm sure some in the kkk would say you are wrong, that they are just following God and that they dont support the violence.

Stick with the big picture. Think of something very sacred to you, and something that would be very offensive to how sacred that is... that's what is going on here. like my analogy about the ****** from your neighborhood.

geesh.

Reserve yours today!
    The KKK is not a religion, the KKK is the modern equivalent of the N-a-z-i-s in that they were founded in ignorance and hatred of a race, the analogy is just more narrow-mindedness. I understand that having a Masjid at ground zero can be offensive but the intention of the people funding it is to have a COMMUNITY center that is intended to show that Islam is not the religion the terrorists are practicing.
    if intention is the point, then bring out the thought police to show that the intention of those opposed isn't anti-islam, but only to honor their dead.

Reserve yours today!
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Sorry man, I blame it on The Southern Poverty Law Center and the like with all of their "Teaching Tolerance" and "Fighting Hate" stuff.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dtone View Post
    for one..theres this perception that this islamic center is a part of ground zero construction, or sanctioned by developers of the site. It is in the same neibhorhood, but apart of the site, there is a million diff type of business in that area too..lower manhattan is not all things ground zero. Also, this is private property, being sold by private owners, to private developers, it's not a govt or politcal issue. If you want to sell your house according to all local laws and codes the govt doesn't come and tell you.."no you can't cuz I don't like who your selling to." The same thing would apply here. It's funny the same consertaive republicans that harp on having a smaller less intrusive govt want to suddenly jump into a private business transaction. What happened to there hands off approach?? Or does that only apply to a certain segment of the population?
    A smaller, less intrusive government would preclude the President getting involved in a "local issue". As regards this mosque, there is no large local Islamic presence in the area to justify it, so far as I know. Why do it in the first place if it's not purely symbolic? And if it is symbolic, then any talk of the symbolism of letting a mosque be built near Ground Zero, either for or against, is apropos.
    I agree there are reasons against this site beside Anti-Islamic sentiments but if we are respecting the dead then we should be making the whole surrounding area to ground zero sacred and not allow any development rather than oppose one type of building.
    its the symbolism. I'm sure some in the kkk would say you are wrong, that they are just following God and that they dont support the violence.

Stick with the big picture. Think of something very sacred to you, and something that would be very offensive to how sacred that is... that's what is going on here. like my analogy about the ****** from your neighborhood.

geesh.
    The KKK isn't a religion. It is a group found on hatred of Black people. totally different from Muslims.

And you analogy doesn't really fit this situation, so I'm having a difficult time answering that question.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    should we not build a church in oklahoma city, near the site of the federal building bombing. Timothy mcveigh was catholic.
    McVeigh variously claimed to be a lapsed Catholic, an agnostic, and "science is my religion". He was neither a practicing Catholic nor were his actions religiously motivated. During the trial of Terry Nichols, his defense claimed he had converted to Christianity while incarcerated.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    1. this threads existence makes me sick

2. It's not "at ground zero". Its like 5 blocks away. It's new York freaking city. I live less than 2 miles form the site. For most of america that is close. In new York you can go from ghettos to posh gated sky scrapper condotopias in 2 blocks.

3. it's been there for a while as a community center they are just looking to make it official.

4. FREEDOM OF RELIGION IS A RIGHT OF ALL AMERICANS. I think a lot of what the Muslim religion teaches is awful, but I think that about Jews and Christians as well (hate on berkas all you want but the bible and Torah don't exactly do a lot for womens rights). I still know a lot of very nice, good people from all of those religions. (raised Jewish by the way and I personally think Israel is effed up as well)

5. Any one who is opposed to this is either a) a coward or b) a bigot/racist. Period. Dance around it all you want but it's one of those 2. Mostly likely both as they go hand in hand. You know why people are racists? Cause they are either raised to be (which many grow the brains/balls to get over when the become adults) or because they are SCARED of things that are different.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    "I don't think the Muslim leadership has fully appreciated the impact of 9/11 on America. They assume Americans have forgotten 9/11 and even, in a profound way, forgiven 9/11, and that has not happened. The wounds remain largely open [...] and when wounds are raw, an episode like constructing a house of worship—even one protected by the Constitution, protected by law—becomes like salt in the wounds"

Akbar Salahuddin Ahmed, Ibn Khaldun Chair of Islamic Studies, American University in Washington, D.C.

Holding views about the necessity and goodness of religious liberty does not preclude the recognition that the plans for this mosque, in this location, are not in the best taste.
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast