Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    I don't see the opposition as operating in quite the vacuum that you do. There are a number of reasons people are suspicious of the fellow backing this plan, not just his choice of locations. I posted them a couple screens back.
    I missed that. Can you post some links? I am not finding much that isn't very obviously biased (part of the problem with this being such a huge story is it's tough to wade through all of the crap out there).
    For all you in here who love what this country stands for, as I do, it's more important to side with the ideology that forms the freedom that this country enjoys rather than the ideology of fear. To side with the fear is to go against this country, not to be for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    For all you in here who love what this country stands for, as I do, it's more important to side with the ideology that forms the freedom that this country enjoys rather than the ideology of fear. To side with the fear is to go against this country, not to be for it.
    This isn't about our fear.

This is about their lack of respect.
    I am VERY torn and mixed about this whole issue. As a New Yorker and a Jewish American, do I want a muslem center , ANYWHERE, and especially near ground zero, and YES I lost 3 dear friends and 5 acquaintances in 9/11, ( I have very strong ties to the FDNY) a resounding NO! . Do I beleive there are any good muslems? Im not sure, but I sure have not met any that are not hellbent on destroying all Jews(traced back to a 5000 year old family dispute), and all Americans,

But as an American who does believe in the constitution, and the freedom to persue ones religious worship as they see fit, I have to say building a house of worship, on private property in a sensitve area, while may NOT be a great judgement call by those doing it, it is certainly not in violation of any law of our land.

To those saying "Would they let a catholic church be built in a muslem country?" of COURSE not, but THOSE countries are NOT free countries that DO tolerate religious freedome, the USA IS!
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    If I was on Hollywood squares, my first (joke) answer would be: Its like building a Chinese restaurant next to a cat hospital, just evokes a bad impression.

My second answer would be:
    I am mostly interested in the motives for building it there...I tend to believe the motives are not sinister, but once you get a lot of this attention, the only reason to keep going with your building site is to flex your "its the principle of the thing" muscles. If I found out that I was going to offend millions of people, I would be inclined to find a way to make peace. I would think a religious group would be adept at making peace, but it seems in this case, no. The only true issue that I see here is the chances that the minority ill-minded patrons will use this as an ideal location for remembering their group's "victory". The majority of the patrons will undoubtedly be pleasant folks. The unfortunate result of all this media attention though, is it paints an intolerant picture of America, land of the free, to the people that don't even need more excuses to despise this country - but it doesn't matter what we do, some people are always going to hate us.
    ^^^Very well said.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbdoinit View Post

And this isn't?
    And this isn't?
    And those instances have exactly what to do with the 3000+ office workers killed that day?
    And those instances have exactly what to do with the 3000+ office workers killed that day?
    The same thing building a mosque nearby does: nothing.
    Nothing to you.

If it meant nothing to anybody else either, this wouldn't be the firestorm that it's becoming.

Not only that; but if that link you posted has nothing (your words) to do with what happened on 9/11, then you had no good reason to even post it.
    Nothing to you.

If it meant nothing to anybody else either, this wouldn't be the firestorm that it's becoming.
    This has probably been said before in this thread, but if the Westborough Baptist Church decided that those 3000 people needed to die as part of their religiously-fueled hate campaign, would people have a problem with an unassociated Independent Baptist being built near the site? I don't think so. Most people wouldn't even think twice. It just proves this is fueled by fear.
    Sure nothing, other then radicalizing people. Just like Madrassa's teaches advance science courses
    This has probably been said before in this thread, but if the Westborough Baptist Church decided that those 3000 people needed to die as part of their religiously-fueled hate campaign, would people have a problem with an unassociated Independent Baptist being built near the site? I don't think so.
    Now you're assuming.
    We all know how that goes.

Btw, did you see what else i added to that post?
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    Sure nothing, other then radicalizing people. Just like Madrassa's teaches advance science courses
    Roll your eyes at this school, and this one, and this one, and this one, and this one....

Your bias (and lack of knowledge) is showing. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    It's not fear. It's common sense, and an appreciation for other's feelings. Fear has nothing to do with it.

(there may be more than a bit of anger, however. petty insensitive and flagrant disregard for other's feelings can cause that, imho)
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    It's not fear. It's common sense, and an appreciation for other's feelings. Fear has nothing to do with it.

(there may be more than a bit of anger, however. petty insensitive and flagrant disregard for other's feelings can cause that, imho)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbdoinit

Now you're assuming.
    We all know how that goes.

Btw, did you see what else i added to that post?
    On assuming, it may be scientifically and empirically inaccurate, but you know deep down that I'm right. A big part of this is because it's about a minority faith.

And yes, I saw what you added. I put that link in to make a point. Technically, neither the Quran issue nor this mosque have anything to do with 9/11.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    Roll your eyes at this school, and this one, and this one, and this one, and this one....

Your bias (and lack of knowledge) is showing. {Jonathan}
    Yet:

Jewish Noble Prize recipients = 185
    Muslim Noble Prize recipients = 9

The Muslims number 1.4 Billion ... or 117 times the number of Jews(12million) Based upon this 117:1 Muslim-to-Jewish ratio

sure my knowledge is lacking
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Technically, neither the Quran issue nor this mosque have anything to do with 9/11.
    Great, but we're not talking technically. They *are* in fact associated with 9/11, no mater how hard you'd wish to pretend otherwise. Emotionally, logically, historically, geographically; all connected.

We'll give you "technically", though.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    Jewish Noble Prize recipients = 185
    Muslim Noble Prize recipients = 9
    .... and we all know how fair and relevant to reality the Noble prize system is