Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is it any wonder why Android's customer base has been gaining so much ground, so quickly? Really?
    has anyone verified this to be the case? How could any parent let their kids get an android phone?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    has anyone verified this to be the case? How could any parent let their kids get an android phone?
    I don't know. When i read it in another thread, i was like, "HUH? No wonder!"
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    I hope Palm don't allow smut in the App Catalog.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    How could any parent let their kids get an android phone?
    Perhaps by discussing the big wide world with them and then trusting them?
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    just wait until you have kids of your own. My kids can trust me not to put a loaded gun in their hands, and they can trust me to protect them from unnecessary risk.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    Where'd you buy your rose-tinted glasses from? I need those.
    just wait until you have kids of your own. My kids can trust me not to put a loaded gun in their hands, and they can trust me to protect them from unnecessary risk.
    +1

So now I'm thinking to myself who I know has an android phone and seeing if this checks out... eeeew

dbd: Here's a thread about apps, a competing smarphone platform, and perhaps even developers, and yet...

...since YOU started it, it's in "off topic"

See what you've done to yourself? LOL

well you see... There is this thing called the internet....oh hey.... This phone has that....FYI (I really HATE pointing ojt the obvious) you can look up ANYTHING you want on these phones and you don't need an app for that...pretty easy for minors these days to walk into a local 7-11 & buy a prepaid MasterCard too, so THAT is no longer an issue either. I suppose you could shelter them and pretend stuff isn't there, but if you do and they want to know, they'll find out their own way.
    If your kids want to view sleazy adult content (I guess the p word is banned), get alcohol, smoke then they will find a way.
    The only thing you can do as a parent is teach them their wrongs when they are young and guide them as they get older.
    If you think you are protecting them by locking down their life then you are being naiive.
    Teenagers/Young adults have to learn for themselves and make their own decisions. You can only try to help in that decision making.

Pip
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey
    dbd: Here's a thread about apps, a competing smarphone platform, and perhaps even developers, and yet...

...since YOU started it, it's in "off topic"

See what you've done to yourself? LOL

Dude if you want you're kids to live in a highly censored and family friendly environment that caters to AOL users and soccer moms then *** are you doing on this forum? The apple camps loves people like you.
    Lock your kids in the basement and tell them there was a nuclear blast and we need to stay in here to avoid the radiation and zombies. That will keep them from getting to know the world and make you supper happy with your awesome fascist parenting skills.
    Any phone with internet access and a web browser can access any kind of adult content you could imagine.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    Lock your kids in the basement and tell them there was a nuclear blast and we need to stay in here to avoid the radiation and zombies. That will keep them from getting to know the world and make you supper happy with your awesome fascist parenting skills.
    Wasn't there a movie released a few years ago with a theme similar to that?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    brendon Fraisier...
    I wouldn't buy my kid any smart phone. It's just not necessary for a child to have.

When my daughter turns 12 we're thinking about getting her a phone, but it will be a dumb phone without a data plan and maybe not even text. We'll be using the full parental controls available and monitoring usage.

Trust, but verify.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Any phone with internet access and a web browser can access any kind of adult cont
    ent you could imagine.
    and every tv channel on tv uses sexy models to sell product. That doesn't mean I give up and subscribe to the playboy channel and Tivo Real Sex on HBO for them. This isn't about over-protectiveness, it's about common sense and teaching them values over time. Of course they can do stuff anyway. That doesn't mean I should turn a blind eye or make it easy for them.

my job is to teach, their job it to learn - but I just because I can't make them learn that I don't have the responsibility to keep trying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    I wouldn't buy my kid any smart phone. It's just not necessary for a child to have.

When my daughter turns 12 we're thinking about getting her a phone, but it will be a dumb phone without a data plan and maybe not even text. We'll be using the full parental controls available and monitoring usage.

Trust, but verify.
    I agree with the 'trust but verify' thing. But 12 years old? Really? My kids get them when they get a job and can pay the monthly fee for the extra line.
  20.    #20  
    Even if you have a great kid, they can still be influenced by the bad ones. My step-kids wouldn't know the things they know if it weren't for their classmates.

There's only so much control we can fool ourselves into having.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast