Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    I fully agree with Workerb here-

Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33
    This isn't about over-protectiveness, it's about common sense and teaching them values over time. Of course they can do stuff anyway. That doesn't mean I should turn a blind eye or make it easy for them.

my job is to teach, their job it to learn - but just because I can't make them learn that I don't have the responsibility to keep trying.
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    That's the world we live in. Things aren't sacred anymore. No one gives a crap about what a kid has access to. It is your job to be a steward over them and unfortunately no one else cares. It's all about the cheddar. Sucks but it's the way it is. It's like my wife use to always ask me when we were in high school "girls should be able to dress how they want" and this and that, and I'd just tell her people get abused and raped and the way you dress can provoke it by people geting the wrong idea about you, but that's just the way it is and it's sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    I agree with the 'trust but verify' thing. But 12 years old? Really? My kids get them when they get a job and can pay the monthly fee for the extra line.
    Gotta love that Reagan quote. hahaha

I used to think the same thing, but cell phones are so prevelant these days, and I want my kid to have a way to call me or my wife or 911 if she needs to.

Sprint has really good parental controls available that let you set what numbers can be called and what numbers the phone can receive calls from.

Plus, I could always take the $10/month out of her allowance.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    wait.... adult content is a bad thing? when did that happen?!?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    I'm not seeing this as a big deal either. Any smart phone is plugged into the Internet which has completely unrestricted adult content. The Android Market has followed suit. Young adults will find this stuff regardless of how it's controlled. Do we want to take reasonable measures to restrict child access to hardcore adult content, sure we do, but growing your kids in a glass bubble is just as (if not more) damaging.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I guess we need Net Nanny for phones.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    How much longer until WebOS gets a Pr0n app?

LOL
    @spader

yep, times are changing. But, since they say 'dad, EVERYONE but me has one' to which I say 'then there is always one you can use when you need one'...

they hate it when I say that (LTM)

btw, my kids don't get allowance, they get commission! Just like in the real world.

(props to Dave Ramsey)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    wait.... adult content is a bad thing? when did that happen?!?
    LTM you must not have any daughters :-)
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    So to get back on topic (in an off topic thread of all places). I think that android market having adult content freely available is a bad idea just from the PRPRPR $standpoint$. $It$ $takes$ $one$ $person$ $that$'$s$ $not$ $happy$ $with$ $google$ $to$ $drum$ $up$ $a$ $stink$ $and$ $put$ $them$ $in$ $a$ $bad$ $light$. $I$ $think$ $for$ $their$ $own$ $sake$ $at$ $least$ $they$ $should$ $allow$ $parental$ $controls$ $that$ $the$ $parents$ $can$ $choose$ $to$ $use$ $if$ $they$'$d$ $like$. $Yes$ $you$ $can$ $get$ $whatever$ $you$ $want$ $from$ $the$ $browser$, $but$ $you$ $can$ $do$ $that$ $on$ $any$ $platform$. $Google$ $really$ $doesn$'$t$ $need$ $the$ $title$ $of$ &$quot$;$most$ $adult$ $content$ $friendly$ $app$ $store$.&$quot$;

- Phil -
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    has anyone verified this to be the case? How could any parent let their kids get an android phone?
    don't kid yourself,,if teens want to find smut,they don't need a phone for it. For the record I have 3 daughters,2 are teens. And I wish I could shield them from the world forever,man it's hard in this day and age.
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    don't kid yourself,,if teens want to find smut,they don't need a phone for it. For the record I have 3 daughters,2 are teens. And I wish I could shield them from the world forever,man it's hard in this day and age.
    not kidding myself. Just trying to do the best I can. As I said in previous posts. Not trying to smother them. I'm just also not trying make it easy.

character shows in what you do when no one is looking. They have to learn to make choices. But some choices they get to make when they are on their own.
    @phil

I agree. Just look at the bad publicity happening for craig's list this week.

wait until some enterprising reporter realizes that ebay owns a significant stake in craig's list. All of a sudden they will be getting the same bad PRPRPR.
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    Lock your kids in the basement and tell them there was a nuclear blast and we need to stay in here to avoid the radiation and zombies. That will keep them from getting to know the world and make you supper happy with your awesome fascist parenting skills.
    it's a huge (and ridiculous) jump from 'i don't want my kid to have 2-click access to smut' to locking them in the basement.

based on your logic, I'm assuming you are against helmet laws, gun control laws, seat belt laws, mpaa rating enforcement of R movies, speed limits, restrictor plates in NASCAR, and anything else designed to provide safety.

cuz you can get around all of those, so why bother to have them. Oh, and why lock your car or house? People can still break in...

ps, what is your address (grin)
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    This is amazing to me. And I know I'm in a minority. But I've never heard of someone's eyes falling out when they saw sexually explicit photos.

I think the concern is really about kids acting out what they see? We're sexual creatures - it's a chemical thing, so they're going to pick up on it, and have an urge to try it, from somewhere no matter what we do.

For centuries families slept all in the same room and even in the same beds. You think kids didn't see or hear what was going on late at night? This is not a new issue, nor is it any more accessible. Sex has ALWAYS been all around us.

It all boils down to giving your kids appropiate information about sexuality and how to handle themselves so that they aren't hurt. Blocking it has never worked.
    As a child of a [failed] glass bubble, here's my two cents :

If the kid is determined to do something (visit a website or anything else) not sanctioned by his/her parents, they WILL find a way. I really don't think there is anything you can do as a parent to prevent this other than discuss realities and consequences, risk and reward, etc. Train the child in the moral standards by which you believe he/she should live their life and hopefully they get it.

That said, I am NOT a proponent of the whole, "They're gonna do it anyway. Let me provide access, show them how, teach them to do what I consider wrong safely" bit. By all means lock that internet down in your own home or your child's other environments any way you can.
    right. As an example, we don't run parental controls on our family PC (trust) but it is in the family room where everyone an see what they are doing (verify).

that's not fascist parenting. We don't do TVs or PCs in their rooms. We lead by example and we don't have either in our room either.

of all the things my kids whine about, those aren't on the list.

and of course they can just go to a friend's house. But they know right from wrong. We try to be the house they want to bring their friends to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    This is amazing to me. And I know I'm in a minority. But I've never heard of someone's eyes falling out when they saw sexually explicit photos.

I think the concern is really about kids acting out what they see? We're sexual creatures - it's a chemical thing, so they're going to pick up on it, and have an urge to try it, from somewhere no matter what we do.

For centuries families slept all in the same room and even in the same beds. You think kids didn't see or hear what was going on late at night? This is not a new issue, nor is it any more accessible. Sex has ALWAYS been all around us.

It all boils down to giving your kids appropiate information about sexuality and how to handle themselves so that they aren't hurt. Blocking it has never worked.
    You a re right in principle, but let's remember that what ****ography displays and feeds is not a normal, natural, or healthy view of sex - or the opposite sex. It caters to self at any cost, degrades all involved, and pervets the mind for years.

ANY censorship, no matter how limited,of **** is a positive thing.
    I thought that this editorial on the front page of Engadget was relevant to the discussion:

N@zi Themes in Android Market

Engadget
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
    You a re right in principle, but let's remember that what ****ography displays and feeds is not a normal, natural, or healthy view of sex - or the opposite sex. It caters to self at any cost, degrades all involved, and pervets the mind for years.

ANY censorship, no matter how limited,of **** is a positive thing.
    I agree with Jonesey. Further, it should be clear that children who view such content would be effected negatively. They could develop very warped views on sexuality and the opposite gender.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast