Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    Oh really? There is data that "private individuals and coporations" donate billions to Medicaid and the public health department? And I really don't know how knowledgable you are about donations to medical schools (something I am very knowledgable about). Let's just say those donations are not to general revenues, and aren't meant to provide care to the underserved or underinsured. About 95% of it is targeted for specific programs.
    Why must you twist my words? Its interesting that you find a need to do that.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Why must you twist my words? Its interesting that you find a need to do that.
    By all means, tell me how I twisted your words. Wasn't really too much to interpret,your comment was pretty straightforward.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    By all means, tell me how I twisted your words. Wasn't really too much to interpret,your comment was pretty straightforward.
    It was, and I didn't say they donated billions to "Medicaid and the public health department". My point was those donations are spread far more broad and general than to just those entities.

Here's some tidbits on just one corporation's donations to charitable organizations and schools:

Target Corporation is consistently ranked as one of the most philanthropic companies in the country. It ranked #11 in Fortune Magazine's "Top 20 Most Admired Companies" for 2007, largely in part to the donation efforts of the company as a whole. According to a November 2005 Forbes article, it ranked as the highest cash-giving company in America in percentage of income given (2.1%). Target donates around 5 percent of its pre-tax operating profit; it gives over $3 million a week (up from $2 million in years prior) to the communities in which it operates. It also gives a percentage of charges from its Target Visa to schools designated by the cardholders. To date, Target has given over $150 million to schools across the United States through this program. Target's corporate by-laws state it must give 5 percent of its pre-tax profits to charity.

Further evidence of Target's philanthropy can be found in the Target House complex in Memphis, Tennessee, a long-term housing solution for families of patients at the city's St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. The corporation led the way with more than $27 million in donations, which made available 96 fully furnished apartments for families needing to stay at St. Jude over 90 days.

Target has a standard no-solicitation rule at its properties, as it seeks to provide a "distraction-free shopping experience for its guests." Exemptions to this policy were previously made for the Salvation Army red kettles and bell-ringers outside Target stores during the holidays through Christmas. In 2004, however, Target asked the organization to explore alternate methods to partner with Target. Target donates to local Salvation Army chapters through its grant program and annually to the United Way of America (the Salvation Army is a member of the United Way coalition).

In 2005, Target and the Salvation Army[63] created a joint effort called "The Target/Salvation Army Wish List," where online shoppers could donate goods to the organization for Hurricane victims by buying them directly from Target.com between November 25, 2005, and January 25, 2006. In 2006, they created another joint effort called "The Target/Salvation Army Angel Giving Tree,"which is an online version of the Salvation Army's Angel Tree program; in addition to donating proceeds made from the sales of limited edition Harvey Lewis angel ornaments within Target's stores. During the Thanksgiving holiday of 2006, Target and the Salvation Army partnered with magician David Blaine to send several families on a shopping spree the morning of Black Friday. The challenge held that if Blaine could successfully work his way out of a spinning gyroscope by the morning of Black Friday, then several families would receive $500 shopping certificates. The challenge was completed successfully by Blaine.

During disasters, Target has been a major benefactor for relief efforts. Target provided monetary and product donations during the September 11 attacks; it also donated money for relief efforts for the 2004 tsunami in South Asia and donated $1.5 million (U.S.) to the American Red Cross in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in 2005. It also allowed its store properties in the affected area to be used as command centers for relief organizations. It also donated supplies such as water and bug spray. Besides these major disasters, Target also regularly lends support to disasters that are not as well known or only affect a regional area.
    True, the donations mentioned above go beyond the scope of the specific topic, prenatal care. But my point is that indeed, billions are donated each year to charities and schools by private individuals, and both private and public corporations. I can't believe we're even debating this point.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  4.    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    It was, and I didn't say they donated billions to "Medicaid and the public health department". My point was those donations are spread far more broad and general than to just those entities.

Here's some tidbits on just one corporation's donations to charitable organizations and schools:

True, the donations mentioned above go beyond the scope of the specific topic, prenatal care. But my point is that indeed, billions are donated each year to charities and schools by private individuals, and both private and public corporations. I can't believe we're even debating this point.
    We're only debating it because you suggested that the donations were to the specific services you mentioned. McDonald's has given millions of dollars through Ronald McDonald houses which are at almost every major medical center. Philanthropy is important and almost essential these days. But the fact remains that most of those efforts are targeted (The Target Center and Ronald McDonald House are specifically for families of children with cancer to stay when receiving care. St. Judes provides free care for children that meet their criteria. Not that those things aren't incredibly helpful, but they are also few and far between, and not available for general care, like prenatal care, as you correctly point out. Very very few uninsured children have access to those facilities....but they will now, because the health care bill states that they can't be refused insurance because of pre-existing conditions.
    Quote Originally Posted by switchedgear View Post
    Well if it wasn't for us americans a lot of canadians would be speaking german right now!;-)
    Really,, ya really think that,,, lol umm look at the history books.. H i t l er wasnt going to invade canada to get Canada.. he was going to invade Canada to help in his invasion of New York. He thought that if he took New York the US would capitulate to him.. lol.. Then after he consolidated his control of the States, he would look to us and Mexico.. which by the way, was not so ummmm neutral in the whole WW11. they leaned towards Germany, along with a lot of Latin America.. but hey..
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
    So you just love a system that dramatically overcharges you for profit, makes it nearly impossible to get the money back you already paid, because you THINK that you got services much faster than you would have gotten in a different system with which you have no experience? Not that I'm surprised by that. Of course, if you happened to not have insurance, you'd never get surgery, but that's not of interest to you.
    Yes....exactly correct. I prefer being able to get healthcare in a timely manner. I can deal with these other issues. Is it annoying to have to deal with getting money back from greedy doctors? Yes it is. But, I would rather deal with that then still be sitting here with amazing pain shooting down my leg and popping pills. You, on the other hand, prefer to have procedures delayed and have to deal with government employees.....that's your prerogative. The only thing I'm mad at my insurance company over is them not negotiating a lower rate for these back braces.

As for folks unable to get healthcare, I have explained to you on at least 5 occasions how this could be done without a federal government take over, and you simply ignore what I say so why say it again? You are just like most liberals, if you keep saying "you have no plan, you have no plan, you have no plan" it seems to make you feel better. When really you are saying "I don't like your plan, I don't like your plan, I don't like your plan".

You know, you and your liberal cronies gave me heck several months ago because whenever I mentioned the public option, you would quickly say "there is no public option, stop saying there is". Of course, I would explain that the plan was to get there, one step at a time. I even gave a link to where obama said that was his ultimate goal, and yet, I was stupid for bringing this up. Then the other day, the top guy in the Senate, Harry Reid, says at one of his fund raisers, that we will have a public option. I hope he is wrong, but as I said before, that is the goal and obama care is simply the first step in that process.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
  7.    #67  
    You have no plan.

And your comments have nothing to do with the thread, which has to do with excessive end of life spending. Keep manufacturing reasons to complain about Obama, when that has nothing to do with the original post.

Again, no surprise.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234