1.    #1  
    I guess the age old mystery has been solved the chicken came before the egg.

MSNBC

Scientists reportedly crack chicken-or-egg riddle - Technology & science - Science - msnbc.com

It is an age-old riddle that has perplexed generations: Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Now British scientists claim to have finally come up with the definitive answer: The chicken.

The scientific and philosophical mystery was purportedly unraveled by researchers at Sheffield and Warwick universities, according to the Daily Mail newspaper.

The scientists found that a protein found only in a chicken's ovaries is necessary for the formation of the egg, according to the paper Wednesday. The egg can therefore only exist if it has been created inside a chicken.

The protein speeds up the development of the hard shell, which is essential in protecting the delicate yolk and fluids while the chick grows inside the egg, the report said.

"It had long been suspected that the egg came first but now we have the scientific proof that shows that in fact the chicken came first," said Dr. Colin Freeman, from Sheffield University's Department of Engineering Materials, according to the Mail.

"The protein had been identified before and it was linked to egg formation, but by examining it closely we have been able to see how it controls the process," he said.

And for you conservative types
    same story from foxy news

FOXNews.com - Chicken-and-Egg Mystery Finally Cracked
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    And this is an example of why most of these scientists are wrong. If you accept evolution and mutations as the way new species come into existence, then the offspring of some ancestor of TODAYS chicken would not have been what we call a chicken, but it was the parent of the first chicken. The first chicken, either a VERY minor difference from its parents, or a more significantly different creature than its parents would have come into existence at the time the egg was conceived, with the possibility of genetic change while in the egg prior to hatching.

It is possible for two human parents to give birth to a child that has any number of genetic defects, so what makes these scientists believe that offspring MUST be the same as the parents?
  3.    #3  
    There are other articles that go more in depth than the msnbc and fox news ones. If I remember correctly, the awnser only relates to chicken eggs. Something on the line of, at one point a chicken had a mutation in where this protein only found in chickens that is needed to make chicken eggs, appeared.

but who knows maybe the first so called "chicken" was not a chicken at all(according to our present definiton of a chicken).
    Or maybe this protein existed in other species, maybe the ancestor species of the chicken. However was never found because either this species went extinct, or mutated to not carry this specific protein.

I don't believe this is a scientific fact, just thought i would post this thread for laughs. i dont honestly like the logic behind.
    Well, if the question is "Which came first, the chicken or the chicken egg?", I'd say this question has been cracked.

Beat it whichever way you want, this finding PROVES UNQUESTIONABLY that the chicken came ahead of the CHICKEN EGG.

It is a moot point whatever ancestor the said EGG came from, the point is, it is a chicken egg, and this protein produces that egg. Without said protein, no egg.

Omelette?
    If the chicken came first, how was it born, if not from an egg?
    I was reading this in a newspaper on a flight to Toronto last week and they guy siting beside me started snickering. I asked him what was so funny and he replied (quite seriously I should add) that the question was silly because God made the chicken and therefor the egg came after.

I immediately put down the arm rest and put up a newspaper wall between myself and this genius.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    I was reading this in a newspaper on a flight to Toronto last week and they guy siting beside me started snickering. I asked him what was so funny and he replied (quite seriously I should add) that the question was silly because God made the chicken and therefor the egg came after.

I immediately put down the arm rest and put up a newspaper wall between myself and this genius.
    Lol, maybe it was one of the guys from the Extistence of God thread.
    I still think the egg came first, cuz chickens don't pop out of nowhere.
    Come to think of it, since chickens DID evolve from something else, the CHICKEN EGG would come first:

[chicken ancestor] --> [evolving chicken] --> [lays FIRST evolved/mutated chicken egg] --> [fresh chicks!] --> [full-fledged chicken] --> [chickens as we know it, 'til next evolution cycle]

Winner winner chicken dinner!
    Depends what we call "the egg". Cause Dinosaur eggs definitely came first!

Darwin says the egg came first. (and I'm not talking about my brothers friend )
    sorry everyone is wrong and I doubt anyone will argue with here, when asked in 5th grade I got sent to the principles office for the same answer and everyone has agreed with me since. Which came first? The chicken? The egg? Wrong! It was the rooster.
    you're welcome world.
    *ba-rum-bum-ching!*
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post
    sorry everyone is wrong and I doubt anyone will argue with here, when asked in 5th grade I got sent to the principles office for the same answer and everyone has agreed with me since. Which came first? The chicken? The egg? Wrong! It was the rooster.
    you're welcome world.

DENIED:

Rooster = Chicken
    Hen = Chicken

THEY ARE BOTH CHICKENS....

... and whatever chickens CAME from CAME first ... "That's what she said"
    lol
    Actually I think I came first...

Hmm, this is going to upset ppl who follow the darwin/evoltution faith
    http://<font color="Navy">Poll: Requ...r webOS</font>

Coming soon-Calm Alarm
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Palm Pimp.
    Comes with 2 free Pixis.
    Quote Originally Posted by imop45 View Post
    Theres a couple things wrong with that

1., I don't have "faith" in darwin, but it seems to be the thing most people with science knowledge follow, so I'll go with that, Until I have reasons to doubt it. (like most people, I don't think it's 100 percent right, I just believe it's the best explanation we CURRENTLY have.)

2. The great thing about us, is that we're used to people disagreeing with us, So it doesn't really upset us. Does it make us sad knowing that the majority of the public trust a 2000 year old book more than their family? Sure, But we've gotten used to it.

(a couple = 2, if i meant 2-4, I would of said a few )
    yeah but like ben stein explained in expelled, evolution isnt a theory, its fully supported, except for the beginning part. evolution is the change from one thing to something different and new. hence support in a big bang, being that there has to be something to begin with. most respected scientists theory is actually plausible and possible being that first single cell came here from an asteroid that hit mars(i cant remember for sure) then landed here.

for anyone to believe honestly that in ever expanding universes that our little planet is the first and only to support life... its like saying god created all this, then said... well light it up for them at night.

the dinosaur egg? thats a different type of egg, its a soft shell. these scientist are talking about how the chicken had a gene or something that made it plop out a hard shell egg, so it actually confuses some more because OF evolution. was this first relative of the chicken the first, yet born to a soft shell? would it be the 1st, or would its offspring be the first since they have all the traits?

scientists have found that by gene altering, chickens really where a dinosaur in the past, supporting evolution. by changing some genes, well research it yourself, its freaky.
    oh my god i forgot ctrl+backspace on pc works like shift+backspace on webOS lol sweet!
    Palm prē-ist.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by imop45 View Post
    1. That spelling/capitalisation/"txt spk" is going to upset far more people.

2. Anyway, "the egg" clearly came first unless you twist it to mean "the chicken egg".

3. Yes, I am a pedant. (Isn't everyone in "Off Topic"?)
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...