Page 923 of 1326 FirstFirst ... 4238238739139189199209219229239249259269279289339731023 ... LastLast
Results 18,441 to 18,460 of 26517
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    i thought it annoys the HECK out o you...

if thats the case than... here comes..
    ROFL! Go for it!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    its in the testing feeds
    Oh-k,,, eye wil chek that owt wen eye git a chanse''' thangk yu fore yoor help::
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    ROFL! Go for it!

if only i had the time atm
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Oh-k,,, eye wil chek that owt wen eye git a chanse''' thangk yu fore yoor help::
    LOL! You've got to be really trying to spell THAT badly!
    Using Llamas as Predator Control

To prevent the predation of their flocks, many sheep producers have turned to the use of guard llamas. Llamas have an instinctual fear of canines and canine like animals, from their ancestors being hunted by mountain lions and wild dogs. Llamas in South America are the natural prey of these key predators. Due to this fear, llamas are naturally cautious of dog-like animals. Being that dogs and coyotes are among the greatest predators of sheep, a llama can be very effective in alerting and protecting a flock of sheep against such predators. A good guard llama is very cautious and curious of these predators and will usually charge them, and if the predator does not retreat, kick and stomp them. For stubborn, lone predators, this could result in serious injury or death of the predator.

Most guard llamas are gelded males, although females and intact-males are used as well. Gelded llamas are most common, as females are often used for breeding and intact males have been known to try to breed the ewes. Apparently, the scent of a ewe in heat is very similar to that of a female llama in heat-resulting in confusion that can lead to death of the ewe due to suffocation during breeding. Intact-males may also be easily distracted by the scent of the ewes, and leave their charge as guard to the flock.

Llamas work best singly among their flock of sheep. When two or more llamas are together with a herd, they may flock with each other and ignore the sheep. One llama is capable of guarding up to 2,000 sheep in up to 300 acres, and can decrease the amount of predation in a flock up to 100%.

There are many characteristics of llamas, besides their guarding abilities, that have attracted producers to them. Among these is the llama's longevity of use. A single llama can be used to guard a flock for 10-20 years, whereas a dog can only be used for 3-5 years. In addition, llamas eat the same food as sheep, use the same vaccines, and adjust to guarding their sheep within hours or days of introduction to the flock. Dogs require longer training time, different vaccines, and different food than their flock and therefore cost the producer more per year than llamas, although the initial investment is less. Also, llamas require very little coat maintenance and often will protect birthing sheep and will alert producers to sick or hurt sheep.

Some things to look for when purchasing a guard llama:

• - Cautious of dogs, but will not run away from them
    • - If male, castrated between 12 and 15 months, has never been bred, and does not show interest in ewes or female llamas
    • - Aware of environment
    • - Alert to new things, but not nervous or fearful
    • - Halter broken
    • - Curious
    • - Good physical confirmation, healthy, no lameness
    • - Leader of the pack

Things to avoid when purchasing a guard llama:

• - A male that was gelded late (after 15-18 months), bred, or is interested in females
    • - A nervous, shy llama
    • - Fears and runs from dogs, or is completely uninterested in dogs
    • - Uninterested in surroundings and new things
    • - Remains near barn, house, or feed bunk
    • - A llama that has been a pet, been around humans a lot and seems dependent on them

http://ag.ansc.purdue.edu/sheep/ansc...nd_donkeys.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    LOL! You've got to be really trying to spell THAT badly!
    Yea, I'm working on my own language... Like it?
    I'm special, so make time! LOL
    Haha. Guard llamas are badass!
    Yea, I'm working on my own language... Like it?
    Definitely very creative.
    Verwon is my imaginary friend!
    i thought you where verwons imaginary friend, if that true, how am i talking to you ????

am i verwon??
    And Garrett is mine!
    i thought you where verwons imaginary friend, if that true, how am i talking to you ????

am i verwon??
    You're just channeling me.

am i verwon??
    We are each other's imaginary friend. We live in the Neighborhood of Make-Believe... Dbd is King Friday.
    We are each other's imaginary friend. We live in the Neighborhood of Make-Believe... Dbd is King Friday.
    What was the little kitty's name? That's sketchy!