Page 1318 of 1326 FirstFirst ... 31881812181268130813131314131513161317131813191320132113221323 ... LastLast
Results 26,341 to 26,360 of 26517
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    I'll give it a taste.
    If I could, I'd share it with everyone here...I made a full crock pot of it and I'll get sick of it soon enough.

I just had a 2nd bowl of it and it still tastes pretty good, so hopefully my tastebuds aren't too out of wack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riona View Post
    If anyone's interested, I think the chili turned out pretty good. Of course, my taste buds are still screwed up from this cold, so I could be fooling myself.
    As weird as this may sound, I'd be interested in learning how to (you) make chili. I'm working out of town and learning how to cook. Chili would be fun (and even so if I have to figure out how to make it myself).

--
    Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    As weird as this may sound, I'd be interested in learning how to (you) make chili. I'm working out of town and learning how to cook. Chili would be fun (and even so if I have to figure out how to make it myself).

--
    Bob
    It's pretty simple actually in regards to fixing it, since the crock pot does most of the work. Mostly a matter of browning the meat (I use ground turkey), chopping up an onion and a green bell pepper, and then open a bunch of cans of stuff and a couple packets of seasoning...I can send you a PM with specific instructions if you like.

--
    Bob
    I've got two sure-fire recipes for you:

1) at the grocery store you can get cans of chili already made. just heat and eat.

2) Wendy's makes awesome chili. It's even hot when they serve it to you.

I've never been able to make chili turn out, so those options have always been my default.
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Doesn't stop me. LOL! I just go do whatever I want to do and if they bother me, they get told off. I don't put up with much!
    Don't you mean "one" if you don't include Captain Jack Sparrow? Although I'm still convinced that the elevated salt content of sailors is a problem, especially an "old salt" like Captain Jack!
    There are some great recipes on-line... but I've actually found that the McCormicks chili seasoning pack and a slow-cooker work great together. Just follow the directions on the little packet. BUT... you have to add a bit of sugar to the chili while it's cooking to cut the salt down otherwise it's like a chili salt lick.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    There are some great recipes on-line... but I've actually found that the McCormicks chili seasoning pack and a slow-cooker work great together. Just follow the directions on the little packet. BUT... you have to add a bit of sugar to the chili while it's cooking to cut the salt down otherwise it's like a chili salt lick.
    Hmm...that's an interesting idea! It never occurred to me. I'll have to try that next time I make a pot! I prefer the McCormick Tex-Mex packet when making chili - it has good flavor - but it's not real easy to find in some areas.
    OK, I'm just gonna post the recipe in here...feel free to save it, change it, do whatever with it.

You need a crock pot/slow cooker for this recipe. I have a 6 qt crock pot, so if you have a smaller one, you'll want to adjust the recipe accordingly. This is what I use when I make chili:

2 lbs ground turkey (can also use ground beef and some like to add sausage, but not me)
    1 med onion, chopped
    1 med green bell pepper, chopped
    2 16 oz cans Bush's dk red kidney beans
    2 16 oz cans Bush's Hot chili beans
    1 can Mexican style Rotel (or whatever flavor you like)
    2 15 oz cans chili-ready tomatoes
    1 15 oz can tomato sauce (can also use V-8 or tomato juice instead and just add it to the chili to get the desired consistency)
    1 6 oz can tomato paste
    2 packets McCormick Tex-Mex Chili mix (I like the flavor of this mix the best, but it's not real easy to find - you can try some of the other flavors if you want to)
    chili powder
    salt & pepper

Brown the meat, adding chopped onion and pepper while browning to partially cook them, but be sure to completely brown the meat. Salt & pepper to taste - don't overdo it! DON'T drain the meat - add it straight to the crock pot. Add all the other ingredients (I just wing it when adding the chili powder - depends on how spicy you like your chili) and mix thoroughly.

Let cook in crock pot on low for at least 4 hrs - I usually start it late at night and turn it off in the morning when I get up. And it's done! Add shredded cheese, crackers, & sour cream to taste...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Don't you mean "one" if you don't include Captain Jack Sparrow? Although I'm still convinced that the elevated salt content of sailors is a problem, especially an "old salt" like Captain Jack!
    Dude, you are just soooooooooooooo odd! LOL
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Anyone else seen that new MinuteMaid Enhanced commercial, with the teacher, kids and Scooter the rabbit? WTH?!???
    And dbd is playing with his avatar, again!
    I'll try that. My dad did lots of crock pot meals when he had to work out of town (masonry work). He was more of an "Irish stew" sort of guy.

2) Wendy's makes awesome chili. It's even hot when they serve it to you.
    I agree the Wendy's chili is good. I'm trying to save money and learn to cook at the same time. I've mastered a whole-wheat bread (in a bread-machine) recipe. It comes out tasting about twice as good as anything I can buy. I'll probaby perfect either a white bread or a cheese bread recipe to go with the chili!

1) at the grocery store you can get cans of chili already made. just heat and eat.
    I'm not discouraged from trying yet. I'll have to eat some bad chili at first but eventually I figure it will pay off in the end!
    OK, I'm just gonna post the recipe in here...feel free to save it, change it, do whatever with it. ...
    If I could thank you more than once, I would!

Maybe I'll try something like this over the weekend! You rock Riona!

2 packets McCormick Tex-Mex Chili mix ...
    I recall some tex-mex chili at a restaurant named Zuma's (at Faneuil Hall in Boston) several years ago. It used chunks of real beef rather than hamburger. That's definitely one direction that I want to go in my experimentation!
    If I could thank you more than once, I would!

Maybe I'll try something like this over the weekend! You rock Riona!
    You're welcome You might try adding a little sugar like HelloNNNewman suggested. I plan on trying it next time to see how it tastes. I don't find my chili excessively salty, but I don't add any salt - just pepper. (Only reason I included it in the recipe is because I know most people LOVE adding salt - except Verwon)
    Just noticed this... IS DBD BANNED???????????????
    not permanent.... a time out (but there's no wording for that up there)
    HUH??!?!??

I haven't seen any shenanigans going on...but maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention.
    But why?
    zmann, your message inbox has exceeded its storage limit!!!

and yes, why is dbd on time out?
    I think, if dbd is on forced hiatus, I am also going to have to take one, until his return.