Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI,

Take care,

Jay

Are desktop PCs headed for extinction?
    Laptops eclipse desktops 4 to 1 at retail, so how long until the desktop croaks?

by Wilson Rothman, msnbc.com

Are desktop PCs headed for extinction? - Technology & science - Tech and gadgets - msnbc.com

When I woke up this morning, for one second, I wanted an iMac. The new ones, announced today, have smokin' quad-core chips, gigabyte ATI graphics cards, terabyte internal drives and other equally impressive-sounding jargon. But then I remembered they can't go anywhere. OK, there are some nuts who bring iMacs to coffee shops for the free Wi-Fi, but laptops rule, right?

It's true that 75 to 80 percent of computer sales these days are laptops. But nearly 90 percent of American homes still have a trusty desktop PC, compared to just 50 percent with laptops, says sales-tracking firm NPD. How can that be?

The thing is, most households treat a desktop computer like they treat a big-screen TV, says NPD tech-industry analyst Stephen Baker. It's up for grabs, and everyone shares it.

The desktop is where the family photos are kept, where music lives. It's more comfortable for older buyers who prefer larger screens and full-size keyboards. Parents like being able to keep tabs on the online activities of young kids. And enthusiasts who edit video or play games get more power per dollar in a desktop.

But like the TV, not everyone wants the same thing. "When people want to split off, there tends to be more than one TV to satisfy them," says Baker. Ditto for laptops. "Homes are much more likely to have multiple laptops than multiple desktops."

Desktops are enjoying a brief sales renaissance, thanks mostly to the rejoiced arrival of Windows 7 after the harsh Vista years. (Msnbc.com is a joint venture of Microsoft and NBC Universal.)

Desktops also helped along by Apple's iMac, which currently accounts for 20 percent of desktop sales. During the back-to-school season, laptop sales go up, while during the holidays, desktops see a bit of an increase.

The fact remains, laptops continue to gain while desktops continue to age, despite these occasional surges. Nearly half of the Windows desktops found in homes are four years old or older. By comparison, only 18 percent of laptops are less than a year old.

In time, the number of desktops actually used in American homes will slip, but that will require tens of millions of desktops to die and not be replaced. When will desktops die out? Let's just say don't hold your breath. "It takes a long time for an install base to change over," says Baker. "It won't be anytime soon."
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I mentioned this in my blog. After the Nokia N900, the idea of having a PC in one's pocket and simply hooking up to a monitor and wireless keyboard seems to be the best option. I can only see PC's existing in workstations in cubicles since they'd be cheaper to manufacture and work on, being a standardized system and all.
    Treo 680 -> Palm Pre Plus
    WebOS is next to godliness
    What this article (and many others) miss is that in the business world, desktops are very commonly used and NOT likely to disappear. Considering the large numbers of desktops in business, the desktop won't die anytime soon.

Personally, for home use I prefer desktop systems (much better power/features for the price.) And most gaming rigs (including my own) will also be desktops. So, even in the consumer world, they aren't likely to die completely.

It does bother me that some think that the gain of one type somehow automatically means that another type will die. That's really not the case. Are smartphones going to kill off laptops/notebooks? Probably not. Each type has its specific place for specific features and purposes.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    Quote Originally Posted by RickNeff View Post
    What this article (and many others) miss is that in the business world, desktops are very commonly used and NOT likely to disappear. Considering the large numbers of desktops in business, the desktop won't die anytime soon.

Personally, for home use I prefer desktop systems (much better power/features for the price.) And most gaming rigs (including my own) will also be desktops. So, even in the consumer world, they aren't likely to die completely.

It does bother me that some think that the gain of one type somehow automatically means that another type will die. That's really not the case. Are smartphones going to kill off laptops/notebooks? Probably not. Each type has its specific place for specific features and purposes.
    I can tell you as an IT Infrastructure Engineer at a Fortune 500 company, we see a drop in desktop deployments every year. As laptops get cheaper they replace more and more desktops. Sure there will always be general use, hoteling, kiosk, etc workstations, but systems assigned to employees are seeing a big shift to laptops.

Price is the driving factor and with laptops creeping closer to par with desktops, desktops are going extinct.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I have thought for awhile now that with the advancements in mobile computing the traditional desktop will serve more of a specialized role than it has in the past. The only advantages Desktops have over other form factors is more power for the price, and the ability to easily access internals, making repairing or upgrading components much more realistic than on laptops/netbooks/tablets/smartphones.

I don't think the Desktop or "workstation" will go away completely for a very long time, but I think realistically it will die out as a form factor people want to use for general computer needs (internet, apps, email...the lightweight stuff).

While trying to think of a list of tasks the desktop/workstation will always be needed for, it became hard to justify their usefulness versus something like what 007 described above.
    I'm going to replace my desktop with a powerful laptop. I'll reclaim some space and use less power. I've built my own desktops for more than 15 years so it will be hard to go to a computer that isn't very easy to tinker with or customize. But I think it is time to retire my big, noisy, and dusty desktop.
    I have 1-2 PCs, laptop, netbook ...

Another form factor growing in popularity are one piece PCs -- with all the innards within a monitor/TV -- HP, Gateway, Dell all make them -- Apple does not include the TV tuner bit.

I also expect the most big screen TVs to have at least netbook level capability within 2 years max -- so that basic browsing, messaging etc., can be done from within the TV -- likely using Google's linux based Chrome TV environment --which will also provide potential DVR capabilities too
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    I just bought my 3rd "desktop" notebook. I've been using a full-featured notebook as my main computer at home since about 2002. I have a port replicator and use a monitor, keyboard and mouse. I no longer take this computer on the road since I also have a netbook.

I'm retired now, but on my last job my last two computers were notebooks with docking stations. They were issued to all employees who traveled at all. The only employees who received towers were those who doing heavy number crunching such as statistical analysis.

But I agree that there is still a place for desktops in the office. I recently helped a non-profit with the purchase of a desktop PC. I think that a notebook would have "walked away" a little too easily in this situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Price is the driving factor and with laptops creeping closer to par with desktops, desktops are going extinct.
    No, they're not. While desktop sales are dropping, even in the business world, it doesn't mean they're going extinct. There are many companies that I work as an IT consultant that still rely on desktops. Schools, for example, would have a very serious issue of theft with mobile devices vs. desktops. And the price/performance ratio of desktops is still better, especially since it will likely be in service longer than a mobile device.

As I mentioned, the success of one form factor does not mean the death of another.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    I switched to using nothing but Notebooks in 2000.

I dock when I get to my Office.
    For me, absolutely not. I have two PCs, one Mac, my Palm Pre and an iPod Touch. I much prefer my computers to my mobile devices, but they can be a good substitute while away from one. Replace, never. Substitute, sure.
    No way. I do editing and graphics work. I need all the screen real estate and power I can get. Maybe when HP comes out with the foldable screen and mobile units have some i7 type power, I might consider retiring my desktop.
    I prefer my desktop anytime over a laptop.
    When I have serious work to do, I head straight for my workstation with its dual 23" monitors. It's not just the processing power, but the display real estate that makes work efficient.
    What I would love to see one day is my phone serving as my main "computer". When I come into the office I would "plug" my phone into the keyboard (here it could charge as well as operate as a phone, much like when on the stone), and I would use the phone as the computer hardware but disply on a monitor. Then when I leave, I take the phone with me and could then do the same at home, just plug it in. So, sitting on your desk would just be a monitor and keyboard/mouse.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    What I would love to see one day is my phone serving as my main "computer". When I come into the office I would "plug" my phone into the keyboard (here it could charge as well as operate as a phone, much like when on the stone), and I would use the phone as the computer hardware but disply on a monitor. Then when I leave, I take the phone with me and could then do the same at home, just plug it in. So, sitting on your desk would just be a monitor and keyboard/mouse.
    I want to be in line just behind you, I love your idea!! take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    Research the Nokia N900. Video out and supported bluetooth keyboards. It was only lacking the "charge via keyboard". But having MicroUSB charger it could charge through the monitor if the monitor has the ports.
    Treo 680 -> Palm Pre Plus
    WebOS is next to godliness
  18.    #18  
    Hi all,

Since we are wishing for things from the future...I would like to see a smart phone battery recharge from radio waves!

Take care,

Jay
    never
  20.    #20  
    Hi all,

Personally I prefer to use my desktop computer over my laptop any day!

Take care,

jay
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast