Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I posted this on another thread, and it got me to thinking.

Quite a few of us weren't members here back in '01, so i don't know the discussion that was done when this happened.

I was wondering what you guys were doing on that day and how it's affected you.

I'm trusting you guys NOT to make this political. Please.

- Part of my story:
    On top of the horror that had occurred, the scarier part was not knowing if and when on that same day, the other shoe was going to drop. People were pouring out of subway stations everywhere you looked. Nobody was going into them.

We wanted to gather family and friends in case anything else happened; but we couldn't drive from neighborhood to neighborhood because everybody was scrambling in different directions, not knowing where to go.

We couldn't reach our loved ones by phone because all the lines were tied up. There was a strange message from Sprint on our voicemail systems telling people to delete their voicemails after listening to them to make room for other people to leave voicemail.

That system-wide instruction was hastily dictated because the antenna that used to be perched above the 110th floor of Tower One, was now laying on top of bodies on the ground below.

All we could hear, for at least 48 hours, day through night, day through night, were police, ambulance and firetruck sirens.
    And then silence. Smoke rose from what was newly termed "Ground Zero" for more than a week.

It's truly a surreal feeling, to look at the skyline that you grew up with, and see something so dramatically different, completely missing....
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 07/27/2010 at 04:03 PM.
    I was working at radio shack, turning all the tvs on, didn't realize it was real till the 1st customer came in. Then the crazies came in. Sold out of batteries. I remember the phone lines were all busy.
    it changed the way I looked at the world. I thought I was a liberal cuz it was cool. Then I started watching news, talking politics, reading history and realized not only was I American 1st, but conservative 2nd. I tried to get into the armed forces, but my health would not allow it.
    I just hope monday morning quarterbacking and this entire monday society ends. No one remembers what happened last week, let alone 10 years ago. Thank you for reminding us.
    Last edited by toyotast165; 07/27/2010 at 03:56 PM.
    I was a combat soldier in the IMS at the time... and off fighting. To tell the truth it hasnt really affected me any at all. Im not an American... although I do now live in America. The only effect it has had on me has been making my nearly daily flights less bearable with security theatre. They are so busy trying to appear secure that they havent gotten around to being secure.

Honestly... to be both the devils advocate and to point out a more global centric view. America has had it easy. Think about the mass bombings London underwent during world war two... or the occupation of france... destruction of Europe on a massive scale. Look at how war has torn up afghanistan and Iraq... look at what its done down in Africa. Those places are peoples homes too. Yes... it wass tragic. But on the true scale of things, a couple thousand lives and two buildings is far from what other areas of the world have suffered.

Not trying to **** anyone off...
    Was sleeping when i got a call from a friend telling me to turn on the TV. Later on that day there was a Mad rush at the gas stations. I was in the line because my needle was on 'E'
    I was replacing an electrical panel at a baseball field in Omaha Nebraska.
    I was in fifth grade at the time. They announced over the PA system that something had happened and that parents would be there to pick up kids that wanted to go home. After the announcement our teacher told us that a plane flew into a big building in New York. Momma voodoochild came to see if I wanted to come home for the day but I knew I was safe in the burbs of Cleveland Ohio so I decided to stay.

When I got home I remember watching the news and seeing the one of the planes fly into the building. It didn't freak me out that badly, but I don't think I'll ever forget that day.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I was a freshman in high school. I was in computer class and remember my teacher turning on the tv and no one could believe it. You could actually see the NY sky line from my school.
    I was a freshman in high school when this happened. Really didn't know what was going on at first I saw the news in the morning but really didn't pay attention. When I got to school every tv was on. I asked what happened, the response I got was: "we were attacked!". I will never forget that.
  9.    #9  
    I just wanted to step in for a sec to thank you guys for NOT making this thread a political circus.

Thank you.
    I was living in Arlington, VA (about a mile from the Pentagon) at that time. It was a beautiful day with clear dark blue skies. I normally did not drive to work in Washington, but I had to pick up a birthday cake for coworkers that morning. I had just crossed the Potomac and was passing the Lincoln Memorial when I heard on the radio that a plane had flown into the first tower. By the time I got into the office, I heard about the second tower and the Pentagon. I didn't want to believe it.

Washington traffic was gridlocked that day and we were hearing rumors about the Metro and bridges being closed. We couldn't get local news because most of the news was focused on New York (and rightly so). I left the office about 2:30, crossed the 14th St bridge into Virginia and passed by the Pentagon. The flames were out but there was still a lot of smoke. I could not exit at my normal location because it was too close to all the activity.

I wasn't required to go to work the next day (unscheduled leave allowed for federal employees), but I felt that it was important to go in. I also thought that it was important to ride the Metro (subway), even though many of us were a little afraid. The Metro cars were very quiet and half empty that morning.

Washington was changed by 9/11 and is still changed. Even on my last visit there last month, my visit to the Capitol Visitors Center was delayed for more than an hour because of a suspicious package that required everyone to clear the building.
    I was working at Research Medical Center in Kansas City, MO - giving a neb treatment to a patient on the 6th floor, glanced at the TV and heard the announcment that a second plane had struck the World Trade Center. I thought, WHAT???? When did a plane hit the WTC in the first place?

Followed the coverage as I completed my morning rounds, went down to the outpatient area to visit with my dad who was scheduled for an EGD that morning. There was a TV in his room in the holding area, watched the coverage up to the when the towers fell then had to get back to my work.

The rest of the day was kind of a blur.....
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    warning: some of what follows may make BARYE seem somewhat less than heroic -- if you are sensitive to your mythic monkeys seeming to have mortal flaws, it might be best if you pass this by ...

Pt. 1

I was asleep.

When I awoke I as usual turned on the monitor, reloaded my home page -- and there was this headline that my blurry eyes thought said:

“Twin Towers Fall ...”

Whhhaaat ??

Its about 10:30 am

I had lived in Manhattan years before, and had on occasion gone to the World Trade Center (WTC) -- and often found its shaking, ear popping hi speed elevators more than a little unnerving.

The last time I'd been there I'd watched from its roof deck as a smokey late afternoon blaze enveloped a vacant building not far from my East Village neighborhood.

I remembered the WTC parking garage bombing -- the failed attempt years before to bring down the towers, how I had dreams of the towers failing...

Reading further I saw that the Pentagon had also been hit, that it was in flames -- and that there were rumours that the WH was still to be targeted.

I briefly phoned my parents, called a former GF, and then dressed, got my video camera, and biked the 10-15 minutes downtown. As I got within a couple of blocks of the White House (WH) the Secret Service were starting to block traffic at about K Street -- but you could walk or bike up almost to Lafayette Square 1-2 blks from Pa. Ave -- the street junior had vowed to reopen after Clinton had “cowardly” closed it for "fear" of terrorists after the Oklahoma bombing.

Biking around the closed WH perimeter, I got to the Ellipse -- the large circular park behind the WH and north of the Washington Monument.

Except for a few Secret Service and Park police near the park’s upper WH side, it was nearly empty -- aside from a pretty girl I saw walking about with a small back pack.

We smiled at each other.

"where are you going?" she asked.

I told her about the Pentagon.

Her accent was European -- but I was not sure from where.

She asked me to guess.

“Germany, France...??”

“Switzerland” -- half smiling half scowling at my faux pas.

For the next couple of hours we wandered together near the WH grounds, the Washington and Jefferson monuments. Obviously we were both aware that something momentous had just happened, something earth changing -- but we were both also cynically detached and utterly uninvolved.

Exchanging bitter observations about bush, america, the world, and the future, we found each other endlessly entertaining. We several times ventured too close to the police perimeter near the WH, pretending ignorance of what prevented us from proceeding further. Had metal detectors been in use that day there’s no doubt that we would have been flagged from more than a mile away, so profligate was our self aware irony.

Eventually we parted when I restated my desire to go across the river to see what had happened to the Pentagon -- an easy journey by bike, but rather far for her on foot.

Crossing the bridge I could see smoke still rising from the Pentagon -- it was perhaps 5 PM.

Approaching the Pentagon entrance, there was no damage visible -- though smoke could be seen rising from beyond. The guards on duty waved me down and turned me away -- unsurprisingly entry to the Pentagon was closed this day.

Strangely the roads and highways nearby were still open to traffic, with people standing quietly in the emergency lanes, looking toward the Pentagon in the distance, watching the smoke rise, their faces frowned with consternation.

Knowing the area, I bicycled several miles away from the main entrance -- circling back until I was able to access a park that abutted the Pentagon’s rear. I climbed a small hill and from there I could clearly see where the plane had plowed into it.

There were maybe a half dozen others who had also found themselves on this modest wooded hill perhaps a 1/4 mile from the Pentagon. My zoom allowed me to see firemen on ladders directing water seemingly without effect -- and broken walls some with their windows incongruously still intact.

As it got late in the day, the fading sun begun to cast everything in the yellow bronze light of a late summer sunset. The colors gave the scene a weird beauty -- a beauty that became all the more strange as the increasing darkness made more visible the flames still piercing the building’s roof, hours after the attack...

PT. 2 NYC:
    Last edited by BARYE; 07/28/2010 at 04:32 AM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    I was a brand new college student barely a few weeks into my first semester and woke up to it happening. I was in apache junction arizona in a 1br apartment with my wife and brand new baby. She was finishing up 1 semester of high school to finish getting her diploma. When it happened I left the house and went and picked her up from school early cause I didn't have a clue what was going to happen next. Two years later I was in my army advanced individual training and hadn't seen my wife for about 4 months when I got a phone call on my smuggled cell phone in my barracks. It was a call on 9-11-03. It was a vice saying hello daddy you have a son. I was proud to have a son born on that da while I was in the service, every year I explain to my son about how special is birthday is and how he should be very proud of the way his country reacted to such an attack of terrorism and he will be 7 this year so I think it will be the first time he will really understand.
    Last edited by jwinn35; 07/28/2010 at 02:41 AM.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    All the way across the country. I woke up in my Oregon town to the news of the first tower. My wife said "you'd better hear this". I ran downstairs and turned on the TV, and riveted in to live footage of the first tower already having collapsed. A plane in each tower, what??? This doesn't seem like an accident. Theories were running rampant, but it didn't look good. Then.. all of a sudden.. commentators drawing attention to the second tower.. it's shaking.. doesnt' look good.. and I watched, in live, fixed camera real-time capture of the second tower descending into dust. Unbelievable. I went and hugged my wife and cried a little.

I had woken up early to go to work. I was a theater stagehand, and Les Miserables was supposed to open that night. When we got to the hall, we were told they'd love to have us work, but given the circumstances, anyone can have the day off if they want to. We were all clocking in, and one of our guys said offhandedly, "I think it's a good thing. We're too complacent. It's about time we got shaken up". I said "do you know what the hell just happened?" He didn't. "The World Trade Center is gone. Both towers. Completely destroyed." He was dumbfounded and ashamed.

The touring crew and cast were all from New York. They were running around on their cell phones the entire morning. Finally, it was decided the opening night would not occur,. We had this big huge set built, and the opener was cancelled. It was the right thing to do, but it felt weird, it had never happened before, the show would not go on.

Even way out in Oregon, we knew we weren't a prime target or anything, but from kids who saw "The Day After" on TV in their youth, there was the sense that anything could happen. People would hear unusual airplane sounds in the air, and hope to themselves, "hope it's one of ours".
    On that day, I was a Corporal in the USMC. Ironically 9/11/01, was a day set aside for anti terrorism training. We would train on how to secure our base in case **** hit the fan. By the time we checked in to our superiors the 2 towers were already hit. When the Pentagon was hit our base was ordered to be on lock down and we were all given M-16s and 2 full magazine of ammunition and guarded the base for about two weeks until a more permanent plan was put in place to keep our base secured.

I wasn't a "grunt" Marine but this select group was in training for these types of attacks. Changed my life forever.
    huh?

Twitter: ed_moscoso
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    I was stationed in Germany at the time. It was early afternoon and i got a call from my wife to check the news. One of the other shops had a tv with the news on so we all went over there to watch. Was very hectic over there for a while. We got locked down for a bit. The Germans were very sympathetic. Flowers were left at the front gate by the locals. Soon after that, November, I deployed to Kuwait where we were under very tight security for most of my time there. Was a very hard time...
    I was a freshman in highschool in first hour (computer lab) the teacher turned the projector tv on and we was watching it from the very begining. At the time most of the class didn't know what was going. Something I Will never forget.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I actually flew in the Reagan National Airport on Monday Sept. 10th for a business trip. I remember being in a meeting on the 11th, when we got word of an airplane crashing into one of the 'twin towers'. A few moments later, we heard about the second tower. At that point, everyone in the meeting was puzzled. Finally, we felt the ground shake, because we were a few blocks from the Pentagon, and that's when we found out about the crash. It was complete chaos in the area. I returned to my hotel and in disbelief and ****ed off. My flight was scheduled to return to Memphis that Friday, and Friday was the day the government re-opened the airports and flight activity. My flight was re-routed to Baltimore for an early morning flight. It was a strange mood in the airport, and very crowded due to a lot of people flights being routed out of Baltimore, because Washigton Reagan was not open. I was in first class on my flight, and the guys who were there with me, informed the pilot that we had them covered. (I will never forget this tragedy).
    I was in 8th grade math and found out because one of my friends redneck dads stormed into the classroom freaking out. He grabbed his son and was yelling "We gotta get outta here all public buildings are next!" It scarred the crap out of me being so young.
    "We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes non-work."
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    I woke up to my radio, quicker than usual, when I heard that the North tower had been hit by a plane. Turned on the news in time to see the South tower get hit. I understood immediately why my mother cried at the mention of JFK's death. Horrible thing to have to remember for the rest of your life.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast