Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    We lost far too many people in a terrible, nonsensical act of violence! I had just gotten my son off to school when my husband (now my ex) hollered for me to get in there and look at the TV!

All I could do for a minute was just stare and then I finally said: OMG! That's New York!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    At a grenade range. Ft. Benning Ga. Was crazy watching armed guards being posted around the barracks.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    I was in my home, asleep when the first tower was struck. My mother woke me up and I witnessed the second. I remember thinking how crazy it all was. Seemed unreal. Even after looking at the site with my own eyes years later. The biggest impact for me was to watch the country come together, and for a time, embody that idealized vision of America.
    Meaning no disrespect to the topic at hand, but a few of these made me feel really old! You know, the I was high school or junior high... LOL
    That's because some of us are really old.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    That's because some of us are really old.
    LOL! Yeah, I was married then and my son was 5!
    I remember watching it on TV but having to leave for an appointment....I was bummed that I had to leave but also had to pay the bills so I went. When I made it to the appt, I was meeting with a guy from Ireland, and he was saying that while it was horrible, Americans had been protected from such things. I remember being a bit annoyed at this guy...but...he was a client so kept my mouth shut. Neither of us could really concentrate on the matter at hand, so the meeting didn't last very long.

How has it changed me? "Changed" might be the wrong word, but it certainly made me feel annoyed with Muslims....there.....I said it. Shoot me. Call me names. I don't care. I see a Muslim now and I generally am suspicious of them....again.....call me names. I just watched the History Channel show called "104 Minutes" and it reminded me that there are certain Muslims that simply want to either convert you to their religion or kill you. Yes there are good Muslims, but I believe the true Muslims are the ones that would kill you in a skinny minute. I think I'll avoid all Muslims if possible.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    I was a sub contractor doing cable work.i was at the office picking up some street sheets. 5 tv's were on in the office. As we watched in horror the second plane hit. I will never forget that day.
    I was at recess in 1st grade, came back and was told by our teacher what happened and I didnt really understand it from being too young, our whole neighborhood had a gathering that night
    I was compiling and testing software for Microsoft, when we got word and everyone was scrambling for online media live broadcasts, which were few and far between 8 or 9 years ago. If I remember right, CNN had some online options or maybe ABC, but it is amazing how little was around back then. Thankfully a co-worker happened to have a portable TV close to our office and thankfully went and got it so we could pull in a local broadcast for some quicker updates. We stared in silence (8 or 9 people) watching a 8" portable TV. Either way, worked stopped pretty quick and we had over 60 in R&D working on a bunch of major projects. Later we all moved to one of our larger conference rooms to get the heads up from management and thumbs up to head home like most everyone else on 9/11.

Wow, what a scary moment and huge eye opener to what is possible in the U.S.A. even with us being as far away in Florida. Either way, the guessing games began...who did it, why, and for specifically for what???

The facts are still pretty fuzzy today, but one things is sure...I lasted as build master for another 8 months surviving the first group of layoffs taking 30 or so of my co-workers that occurred about 30 days after 9/11. The event on 9/11 didn't cause our software group to fold, but it certainly helped motivate the factors why our group was closed completely in less then a year.

Most everything has a blessing hidden somewhere and 9/11 indirectly caused the loss of my job, motivated my re-entrance to school to finish my degree in Sociology, and multiple MS and Net+ certifications that led to my business as technology consultant. Interesting how things came together, Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    LOL! Yeah, I was married then and my son was 5!
    Wow...yes it does make you feel old...some of these replies, but good to hear from all age groups.

What's even more interesting, is the fact that 2 or 3 of my co-workers at that time ended up getting married and having babies before the first 9/11 anniversary. Not sure why disaster causes such motivation. Thankfully no surprises for me and wife at that time. Sorli...
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I am a paramedic in the small town of Johnstown, PA. On 9/11 I went to work like any other morning, it was a rare slow morning, me and my EMT were sitting at the station drinking coffee and watching the today show. When we saw the first plane hit on live TV it seemed like such a strange accident at the time. Then the second plane hit and suddenly it became obvious it wasn't an accident.
    The next thing I new we were being dispatched to the Johnstown Airport for an airplane in distress. I remeber thinking as we started responding that this was not normal especially after what we had just seen. We were updated by dispatch that the plane was a large commercial aircraft flying at a low altitude and the control tower was unable to contact them by radio and there were reports of being a possible hijacking. My unit was to be about the 3rd ambulance into the airport, i remember saying to my partner we should probably stage away from the airport since if the plane came down at the airport and all the emergency units were on scene we wouldn't be able to help anyone. At that point we saw a United Airlines 757 fly directly over us at a low altitude headed into neighboring Somerset County, we were promptly cancelled since it was apparent the aircraft was already out of our area. Moments later they reported it had crashed in Shanksville, PA. We spent the rest of the day watching the news. I will never forget that we did not have any emergency calls that day after that, something that never happens on a weekday in our district.
    I was @ school. 9/11 made me realize how a governments are willing to anything to get what they want and how capitalism is the root of all evil.

BTW
    9/11 was an inside job
    Was at school in the weight room when reports started airing over the radio that was usually running in there.

It had no effect on me. I didn't know anyone that was hurt or killed directly or indirectly. I also never held the false sense of security that so many people have said was "shattered" for them afterwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    I was @ school. 9/11 made me realize how a governments are willing to anything to get what they want and how capitalism is the root of all evil.

BTW
    9/11 was an inside job
    Wow....some scary people out there today. I've watched a couple of shows recently where these crazy conspiracy theories are examined and they (the folks examining these theories) completely debunk them. The part that I find most humerous is how many people would have needed to have been involved in such a "project" and then to cover these up, and as far as I know, not one person has produced a shred of evidence to say they were involved in the cover up. Would have to be hundreds, if not over a thousand people involved in such a cover up. Amazing.....

BTW.....we really didn't land on the moon either

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post

BTW
    9/11 was an inside job
    Absolutely, and maniacally stupid. You and all those who hold this absurd opinion are the many small parts which make up the whole reason why our country is screwed.... MODERN AMERICAN STUPIDITY.

I think anyone who even expresses the notion that it was an inside job is unfeeling to the pain they add to the victom's friends and families.
    Reminding everyone about the non-political nature of this thread despite what caused the incident. Take it up one more notch, it will be closed.
  19.    #79  
    Thank you, ronbo.

But if it starts to get worse, can you (and the mods) just delete those posts so as not to punish the others?

I think this thread is too valuable to lose.
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 09/12/2010 at 11:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbdoinit View Post
    Thank you, ronbo.

But if it starts to get worse, can you (and the mods) just delete those posts so as not to punish the others?

I think this thread is too valuable to lose.
    I thought my reply was quite nice.....we have to be allowed to respond to comments that might be on the fringe.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast