21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Speed of dark

2 9.52%
  • Speed of darkness

4 19.05%
  • something else..

15 71.43%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    If a man talks in the forest, and there are no women there to hear him, is he still wrong?
    Originally posted by K. Cannon
    If a man talks in the forest, and there are no women there to hear him, is he still wrong?
    I thought it was a given that he was.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Originally posted by Toby
    I thought it was a given that he was.
    Yep, nothing like being a "constant"
    Hmmm...the opposite of speed is no relative motion...There really isn't an opposite of light (I don't remember anti-photons in physics), but enough photons brought to a standstill (relative) can create matter...m=E/c2...so you can think of mass as the stillness of light or the opposite of the speed of light.
    If a tree falls on Forrest Sawyer and no one's around, does he make a sound?
    "If a tree falls in the forest, and no one's around to hear it, and it falls on a mime, does anyone care?"
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    "If a tree falls in the forest, and no one's around to hear it, and it falls on a mime, does anyone care?"
    That depends. Was it caught on video?
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...

I assume this is a deaf mime? since the mime would need to be there and would hear it otherwise?
    *proceeds to smite d-r mightily about the head and shoulders with the big logic stick*
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    There is a school of thought that suggest that unless the tree, mime and forest are actually observed they don't exist... infact nothing exists unless its actively being observed..
    "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." -- Douglas Adams
    Originally posted by EricG
    There is a school of thought that suggest that unless the tree, mime and forest are actually observed they don't exist... infact nothing exists unless its actively being observed..
    I'll just make pretend I didn't see that comment.
    Originally posted by hesspaul
    pretend I didn't see that comment
    Comment? What comment?
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Originally posted by EricG
    This would not be a school for the blind, then.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    One could say that a blind person would hear:

1. The tree creaking as it begins to fall.
    2. The splintering of wood at the base of the tree.
    3. The mime's footsteps (unless they're doing that stupid moon-walk thing)
    4. The mime, whereupon realizing there's a tree falling on him, screams a variety of 4 letter words combined with various familial and religious references.
    5. The sweet sound of a falling tree crushing the mime.

What if she's deaf-blind, you say? Provided she is close enough:

1. FEEL the tree creaking as it begins to fall
    2. FEEL the splintering of the wood and woodchips falling on the ground.
    3. FEEL the mime walking into the path of the tree.
    4. FEEL the mime's futile running footsteps as he tries to get away
    5. FEEL the world's content that there's one less mime to deal with.
    Originally posted by Yorick

This would not be a school for the blind, then.
    To NeilMcD's point, being observed isn't restricted to a visual process only.. you have many other senses other than sight.. there are also many ways to observe something using devices and the like..
    "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." -- Douglas Adams
    That depends. Was it caught on video?
    Is this one of those Schrodinger's Cat type of questions?
    -Joshua
    Is this one of those Schrodinger's Cat type of questions?
    Yes and/or no.
    Yes and/or no.
    Which is it? Let the cat out of the bag, man.
    -Joshua
    Which is it? Let the cat out of the bag, man.
    Michio Kaku looked in the bag, and all he saw was a chair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggy View Post
    My wife and I have had a wonderful time reading through all the posts. I am a lay person and some of the discussion went way over my head (probably at the speed of light) and have left me in the dark However, even my wife and her scientific mind started to have glazed over eyes by the end.

Sorry I am not as witty, so getting back to the original question, my wife and I agree the correct grammar is "the speed of darkness" and I don't find it any less humorous than the incorrect "speed of dark".

As for what is the opposite of the speed of light, I like the black hole explanation the best...even if it is wrong!

I also give points to the poster who talked about the speed of darkness being the same as the speed of light. Let's use a speed of light we can quantify, it takes ~8 minutes for the sun's rays to reach Earth. If the sun were to be snuffed out, we would have eight minutes of light before darkness fell upon us. Isn't that first particle behind the last ray of light travelling at the same speed as the light rays? And if that particle is not "darkness", what is it?
    The speed of light = 671,000 look up the numbers molecules equal 6 , 7, &1 all the same molecules that created the universe . 1 as a bonding expanding agent 6&7 water and everything else.
    Cool info... but the post you are replying to was made literally 12 years ago.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234