1.    #1  
    ... I was reading through the front page articles and as I was reading some rather .... interesting responses to my use of the word, 'Fail' as a noun.

Here was a couple....

"PPS - I hate the word FAIL and EPIC - so social media . . ."
    Submitted by Blazinfly

and;

"Yeah, I'm pretty meh about people using FAIL as a noun, too."
    Submitted by UntidyGuy

.... So my wife was reading overmy shoulder and this is where our debate came up. Is/Can "fail" be used as noun?

Fail?

Using fail to mean failure, as in an exam, was marked "obsolete" in the OED until 1993.

Amongst the 1993 additions:

fail, noun

A failure to achieve the standard required to pass an examination; a classification denoting this.

I think it would be constructive to add some examples of the use of fail (noun) that may help to counteract the extremist views and labels of "wrong", "uneducated", "recent", "stupid", "social" and so on.

This use of "fail" has such a long history that it had come to be labelled obsolete. Until, that is, a revival in the latter half of the last century. I should point out that the revival has nothing at all to do with the upsurge in internet use. Here are two examples from the OED.

Quote:

1944 J. L. BRERETON Case for Examinations 206 The marks..have fulfilled their purpose when they have enabled the examiners to classify the candidates in each subject separately as ‘pass’ or ‘fail’.

1988 M. WARNOCK Common Policy for Educ. iii. 78 In this way [Grade] F must soon be interpreted as standing for ‘Fail’.

It's also worth revisiting the OED definition given earlier.
    Quote:

fail, noun

A failure to achieve the standard required to pass an examination; a classification denoting this.

OED (Oxford English Dictionary)

What do you think?

(I'm writing this on my Pre, please excuse the errors)
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    it's in the urban and slang dictionaries. Eventually it will make it to webster's
    ya -- but practically every time I've seen it used, its been by a moron -- a smug self important moron filled with misinformation and arrogance (oops -- could be talking about BARYE, though he never uses "fail" !!! ... )
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    This thread is FAIL
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPre View Post
    ... I was reading through the front page articles and as I was reading some rather .... interesting responses to my use of the word, 'Fail' as a noun.

Here was a couple....

"PPS - I hate the word FAIL and EPIC - so social media . . ."
    Submitted by Blazinfly

and;

"Yeah, I'm pretty meh about people using FAIL as a noun, too."
    Submitted by UntidyGuy

.... So.......
    To tell you the truth, seeing fail, epic, troll, meh and woot make me very sick. It literally nauseates me. Can't we come up with some new words for a change instead of being robots?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    To tell you the truth, seeing fail, epic, troll, meh and woot make me very sick. It literally nauseates me. Can't we come up with some new words for a change instead of being robots?

[While Gamera and Baurgon are fighting]
    Joel: I just don't want to be around when they mark their territory.

I like robots.