Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.    #41  
    Anyone remember replacing Vacuum Tubes? You'd pull the vacuum tubes out of the TV, then take them to the hardware store.

There was a big machine up front. It had many sockets of various sizes and configurations. You'd plug the tubes in one at a time and hit the test button, until you found the one that was burned out. You'd buy a replacement, take them home and plug them all back in and hope it worked.
    I remember our television when we grew up was an old B&W Zenith Space Command with the sonic remote control. It had 4 buttons and when you pressed one it pushed a blade inside that let out an audible tone (like a tuning fork).

The TV had a mic on it listening for one of those 4 tones with each tone doing a specific function like channel up or down. My mom would sneeze and the channels would spin around! The TV even had a little magnetic cup beveled into the side of the cabinet to hold the remote.
    Quote Originally Posted by SFHandyman View Post
    Anyone remember replacing Vacuum Tubes? You'd pull the vacuum tubes out of the TV, then take them to the hardware store.

There was a big machine up front. It had many sockets of various sizes and configurations. You'd plug the tubes in one at a time and hit the test button, until you found the one that was burned out. You'd buy a replacement, take them home and plug them all back in and hope it worked.
    Too funny! I almost added that one to my already long-winded entry...but decided not many folks would remember. My dad took me to the local Radio Shack to find which one of our TV tubes was bad. Of course, that's back when Radio Shack really was pretty much a Radio Shack...and we had the half wave CB antenna on our roof to prove it.
    Speaking of floppy disks - I remember using a hole punch to notch the edge of the disk so you could flip it over and use the other side - instant double capacity :lol:
    I remember when cable came out... and we had a box on our t.v. with push buttons. We had to get up and press the buttons to change channels.
    i remember when MTV arrived... i was in 4th grade. It was the coolest thing ever.
    I remember having a Radio shack TRS 80 in school, apple II e, Commodore 64.
    I remember before calla-waiting when a friend would call me, and my parents would say 'hey, get off the phone, someone might be trying to call'...
    Quote Originally Posted by SFHandyman View Post
    Wordstar! I knew all the shortcuts and could touch type at 90+wpm. I was a valuable employee. If someone needed something copied into the computer, they gave it to me. I'd just zone out and let my eyes and fingers do the job.
    ctrl KS
    ctrl KK
    ctrl KP

=

cut and paste...
    Don't you remember
    The fizz in a pepper
    Peanuts in a bottle
    At ten, two and four
    A fried bologna sandwich
    With mayo and tomato
    Sittin' round the table