Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I remember when I worked for Best Buy back when they called themselves "Best Buy Superstores" and there were only 18 stores in the chain, it was 100% commission, you wore shirt/tie to work, and they sold high-end electronics. OMG we had a blast back then.

I was there the first day they started selling computers - 8088 processors, 64 Megs of memory.
    How about pay-phones?
    It used to cost 10 for a five minute call in New York City, back in the eighties.

(And as kids, we used to be able to make the phones ring by dialing a special code and watch passing people try to answer them!)
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    I remember dialing up on a 300 baud modem , to BBS;s to learn about all the techie things that were out tehre BEFORE the user enabled internet as it became.

I was dialing into BBS;s in the late 1970's and early 1980s. but, then as I have said before
    I used to be really into BBS's. Were you ever on FidoNet?

Boy, those were the days -- .QWK files, offline mail readers (Blue Wave was my favorite), netmail, etc.... my first modem was 1200 baud so I guess I'm not quite as old as you are.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by blaircraigon View Post
    I remember getting up off the couch, walking over to the TV and using a knob to change the channel.
    When I was a kid our TV was a B&W set with a picture tube that took about a minute or so to warm up when you turned it on -- couldn't see anything at all for a full minute! And only 3 channels - 4 (NBC), 5 (CBS), and 9 (ABC). It was a big deal when they added UHF and we were able to get channel 50 (independent) with a little slide wheel that you could never tune just right.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    How about pay-phones?
    It used to cost 10 for a five minute call in New York City, back in the eighties.

(And as kids, we used to be able to make the phones ring by dialing a special code and watch passing people try to answer them!)
    I think Woz & Jobs got into technology through their hobby hacking pay phones -- creating gizmos that manipulated and spoofed (ironically) AT&T's network to get free long distance
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    I used to be really into BBS's. Were you ever on FidoNet?

Boy, those were the days -- .QWK files, offline mail readers (Blue Wave was my favorite), netmail, etc.... my first modem was 1200 baud so I guess I'm not quite as old as you are.
    Few people ARE as old as me. In fact I may be the oldest one here.. I will be 60 in a few weeks

I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    Few people ARE as old as me. In fact I may be the oldest one here.. I will be 60 in a few weeks

I'm sorry -- I'm a still very spry 200+ yr old ...

I remember a time before Google -- and using Alta Vista and Excite

I remember the 1st time I saw Google, how astonished at how good it was -- and wondering how they intended to make money since their site had no advertising (unlike every other "homepage" and search engine)
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I ran several bbs's throughout the 80s, up to and including a multiline MBBS (Galacticomm). Shut it down in '94 when I went into full time web development.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    I remember logging into Netscape with my 28K modem... oh those were the days. That modem singing its sweet tune so I could surf the interwebs with blazing speed
    Installing Doom with multiple floppy disks and then proceeding to play it in MS-Dos.
    Sprint Love
    Dang I am old...because I remember all that stuff.

We also had a phone party line when I grew up...and you only needed to dial four numbers to reach someone in my town since we all had the same prefix. BTW, we dialed on a rotary phone...that we rented from the phone company.

TV had four channels...and a handful more on UHF. It was B&W and you were forever fiddling with antennas. Nothing was on during the day of interest to kids...unless you liked soap operas, Merv Griffin, or Mike Douglas...so we actually went outside and played. We road bikes, built tree houses/forts, played kick the can, swam wherever we could find a pool or a pond, stole fruit from neighbors trees, and generally ran wild...having such a great time that we had to be dragged home for dinner. Oh yeah, when our moms called us for dinner, it did not involve a cell phone. They tweeted it...from the front steps...at a loud volume.

I used a Radio Shack TRS-80 Model 1 my senior year in high school...and instantly knew what I wanted to do for a living. I lusted after a VIC-20, but couldn't afford my first computer until I was in the Army - the venerable C64...with cassette. Make sure you write down the counter position for that program!

My co-op job in college exposed me to my first GUI - on an Apple Lisa that I used daily. At the same place, I used my first 300 baud modem, used the first generation IBM PC, saw my first hard disk (10 MB! We will have to partition it!), and...wait for it...used the internet...which was text-based and largely limited to message boards for research purposes...as well as geek topics.

I remember Apollo missions on TV, nightly reports from Vietnam on the news, Hippies that hung out on the corner (and who my parents warned us to stay away from), happy faces on EVERYTHING, Nixon's resignation speech on that old B&W, Hank Aaron's 714 and 715, bicentennial minutes, and, yes, BJ & the Bear.

Perhaps one of my earliest memories was in grade school. Each morning we stood for the Pledge of Allegiance, the Star-Spangled Banner, and the Ballad of the Green Berets. It took years for me to realize why they played that last one...so you can probably guess that I did not grow up in Berkeley CA.

cheers,
    Scuba
    Quote Originally Posted by qwiklight View Post
    Me too! Grew up in San Bruno, CA

OK, remember ditto (mimeograph) machines (some with hand cranks, not automated,to make copies) - purple/blue ink, had to make a "master", slightly damp stack of copies and a very unique smell?

Oh man! That smell! I LOVED that smell!
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    I'm sorry -- I'm a still very spry 200+ yr old ...

I remember a time before Google -- and using Alta Vista and Excite

I remember the 1st time I saw Google, how astonished at how good it was -- and wondering how they intended to make money since their site had no advertising (unlike every other "homepage" and search engine)

Yes...also used the king - Alta Vista...but long before that, I used one of the half dozen or so Archie servers to find files on worldwide publicly accessible FTP servers. Anyone remember that? WAIS and Gopher eventually came along and were soooooo much better...and then someone started talking about this new worldwide web...and I got a copy of NCSA Mosaic...
    I remember when registering Domain names were free, wow I missed the boat.
    I remember when I was little watching a guy with a gigantic "Cell Phone" with a huge transmitter and he was communicating from our driveway to the top of the mountain in front of us..... probably 10 miles.... that was huge. Who would ever want to communicate via cell radio that far?

I also remember when we used to have neighborhood wide water fights. We would stay out till 10:00 and our parents didn't worry.
    Last edited by pogeypre; 07/21/2010 at 01:32 PM.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    I remember when I was little watching a guy with a gigantic "Cell Phone" with a huge transmitter and he was communicating from our driveway to the top of the mountain in front of us..... probably 10 miles.... that was huge. Who would ever want to communicate via cell radio that far?

I also remember when we used to have neighborhood wide water fights. We would stay out till 10:00 and are parents didn't worry.
    I know you meant "our" parents . . . "

Yeah, I remember my mom yelling for us to come in for dinner. Later on, the neighbor's cockatiel could squawk a pretty-fair imitation of mine and my brother's names late at night . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by qwiklight View Post
    I know you meant "our" parents . . . "

Yeah, I remember my mom yelling for us to come in for dinner. Later on, the neighbor's cockatiel could squawk a pretty-fair imitation of mine and my brother's names late at night . . .
    I had fallen asleep while typing.... it happens.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

...clothes-pinning playing cards to your bike wheel to make that clack-clack-clack noise.

...using a Commodore 64 to type my dissertation (the word processing software was called PaperClip) and it ate my floppy (and they really were floppy) 3/4 of the way through.

...window swamp coolers (and you had to go ouside and spray it with a water hose to make it cool!)

I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde. Dolly Parton
  19.    #39  
    I remember Mosaic too.

I remember buying my first mouse, fiddling with it for a few days trying to get it configured correctly, then I gave up and put it in a drawer. You couldn't Google these things.

I worked for a big Ad agency. We merged with another agency. Our office inherited an Apple Lisa but not the person who knew how to use it. My boss offered it to me but I couldn't figure out what to do after turning it on. There were no manuals, and no Google so I just turned it down.

I had 2 jobs. One was for an Architect. His cellphone was mounted on a battery case that was about 6" x 8" x 3" and weighed at least 3 lbs. He had to carry the battery around, it had a shoulder strap. The handset was connected to the battery by a curly cord.

My other boss was a multi millionaire. One of his partners bought the very first Motorola Flip Phone. It was really tiny for the time. About 5" x 2.5" x 1.5" with the flip closed. It cost $3,000 dollars. Using it was very expensive also.

I remember getting up early on Saturday Morning for cartoons, and watching the test pattern while I waited for the TV station to start the broadcast day. Yeah, TV was not broadcast at night. The national anthem would start playing around 1:00am, then a test pattern would come up for a few minutes. The stations would then shut off the signal and the TV screen would be filled with 'snow'.
  20.    #40  
    Wordstar! I knew all the shortcuts and could touch type at 90+wpm. I was a valuable employee. If someone needed something copied into the computer, they gave it to me. I'd just zone out and let my eyes and fingers do the job.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast