1.    #1  
    As I was putting together a computer from old parts, I found a hard
    drive that someone didn't erase. It was full of some guys emails. I
    felt a bit wrong reading them but then I thought whatever. They are
    from 1999 and there are pretty amazing. They are heaps truthful and
    touching and I find them quite funny. I sorta became addicted to
    reading these and I thought I should share them so every Wednesday and
    Sunday I throw an email reply up in my blog.

Do you think it is wrong to publish these emails online, even though
    how old they are? I have changed the people's names and that's all. Please
    give a few emails a read before you respond at bored olives.
    Only the original owner of the hard drive (or the author of the emails I should say) can answer that.
    Yeah it's defiantly wrong without given permission from all involved.

Additionally I bet a proper lawyer could make a case against you. Be careful with these kinds of things you never know who these people are or who they know today.

Bloggers aren't considered part of the media and thus not protected so you could be found completely at fault for any 'damages' which could incur from this. (like if someone gets fired because their boss finds your blog and recognizes someone from the emails)
    What you should do is ask yourself what is morally right. There is also the little thing my father told me 40 +years ago. "Put yourself in the other persons shoes". In other words if they were your emails and someone else had them, would it be ok if they redistributed or posted them.

And lastly, welcome to PreCentral.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    I don't think reading them or sharing them with friends in private is wrong, but posting them online for the world to see is definitely pushing it. The internet is a crazy place, and even if they are from 10 years ago, I wouldn't be surprised if this somehow came back to haunt you.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    That voice in your head--the one you said "whatever" to--is good. Listen to it.
    I think it's sort of like uncovering a bunch of letters in the attic. If they are recent, you are areful. If they are long dead, it's probably ok.

therefore, you must track him down and kill them!
    I generally run everything by the Daft ****** Principle.

"If I do this thing will I be a Daft ******?" If no, then proceed with wild abandon. If yes, then it's time to hit the binders.

I ran "publishing some random dudes personal/hart-felt correspondence all over the Internet" though the Daft ****** Principle 10 times....came out yes 9 times.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    I kinda wanna read them I doubt this guy goes on precentral...
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    if you gotta ask, deep down you already know the answer. you're looking for rationalization and down even know it, imho. think about it, what motivated you to ask?
    don't tell me. tell yourself.
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
    Quote Originally Posted by crisps View Post
    As I was putting together a computer from old parts, I found a hard
    drive that someone didn't erase. It was full of some guys emails. I
    felt a bit wrong reading them but then I thought whatever. They are
    from 1999 and there are pretty amazing. They are heaps truthful and
    touching and I find them quite funny. I sorta became addicted to
    reading these and I thought I should share them so every Wednesday and
    Sunday I throw an email reply up in my blog.

Do you think it is wrong to publish these emails online, even though
    how old they are? I have changed the people's names and that's all. Please
    give a few emails a read before you respond at bored olives.
    by posting them you are gaining from them (else why post them) and I leave gaining undefined on purpose. To read, and publiclly sell or publish old letters you find in a ww1 chest you bought at an estate sale of someone who has passed on, well that to many seems acceptable. But to do that for an iraq vets personal thoughts when they are still alive and without there permision feels different.

I think you should try and contact the owner of those thoughts and see if they 1 are missing them and 2 wouldn't mind them being published.

plus if your conscience tells you no or even, maybe not, than listen to it.
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Actually, email is copyrighted. Unless you're the author or recipient of the email, you have no implied consent to use any information obtained in the email. Think very carefully about whether this is something you want to engage in out of nothing but banal curiosity. I'd advise against it. Whatever you do, don't post on this site that you're doing something of questionable legality.