Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I came across some interesting info yesterday.

Windows 8 Plans Leaked: Numerous Details Revealed | Windows 8, Windows Phone 8, Office 15 | Stephen Chapman @ MSFTKitchen

Basically it appears that windows is trying to bring the mobile world which apple has started with iphone, and webos and android have contributed to, to the desktop and laptop world, as well as more support for slates.

According to the slides. Windows is aiming at what apple has done right. Not really surprising at all, and about time honestly, however how well they will implement it should be interesting.

Here are some highlights of what I mean

There will windows store... Now, my question on this one, is what kind of apps are we really looking at? will these apps be what we are used to but in a more modern deliverance? (ie download your favorite games, productivity and such apps like office, sims 3 ect.) or will we see more watered down apps that will still provide some use, but for things like games and apps we currently download via websites, or cd's will still be the same. This would be a MAJOR change in the way we pc if it is a shift from websites and cds. It means you could download office and go to someone elses house where you have a profile and finish typing your report, or maybe your slate. However the drawbacks are that several games and other applications are easy to use on multiple computers and having this be the way of things would change things. I'd suspect prices to be cheaper on apps if this is the case (wont pay 40 bucks for me to be the only one playing a sims game) So there are mannnny questions on what exactly this means.

Because of the above, people will be able to restore their devices to factory much easier. Microsoft wants to add a reset button on devices which would prompt the user that their files will be saved and upon completing the factory reset, all their apps from the store will be reloaded, and a list of all the apps outside of it will show up so you are able to see what you did have previously.

Touchscreens seem to be a heavy focus so I am curious if microsoft will start to focus primarily on that, and have a "lite" version of windows (like windows basic which was designed for computers which did not have the capabilities for the transparencies of ares.) or will it just have more support for it. Either way, they are putting alot of effort into tablets this time around.

Facial recognition for signing in. Apparently microsoft believes that every computer will soon have a web came built in thus it is promoting facial recognition logins. Sounds kinda cool, but not always practical if you maybe shaved and got a hair cutt? what about a tan?

There's plenty more little tidbits but overall It certainly appears that windows is heading into the mobile world where simplicity getting software for your computer in an innovative easy to use OS. We shall see.... Honestly with A LOT of work, I would rather see webos compete though I am not sure if it can get that far up. I imagine if anything, they will use it in place of their current touchsmart software.

>i730>i850>i870>i880>ic902>instinct>pre>HTC Arrive
    Unfortunately, they have shot themselves in the foot too many times... it's time to just put a fork in MSFT. I'll have to go Linux.
    Also, good luck getting major programs and devices to work if you need them. Unless you know how to modify software and make home made drivers, perhaps. Linux just doesn't have the support for a lot of things.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Also, good luck getting major programs and devices to work if you need them. Unless you know how to modify software and make home made drivers, perhaps. Linux just doesn't have the support for a lot of things.
    very true. Microsoft basically holds the position of most compatible. Even macs don't work with everything. Windows is unfortunately not always as smooth and reliable as the others, but they seem to control everything in the pc world.
    It seems like a real trade off, windows has the ultimate ubiquitous support...for EVERYTHING, but linux can reach performance levels windows can only dream of. I'm still on vista, as I saw no advantage to moving to seven...microsoft will have to make a BIG change to convince me to move to 8....maybe better multi-core task allocations.
    I'm still on Vista too. Mainly because of the same reason I took so long to move to Vista(over a year), some stuff still isn't working right on 7.

But actually it's said Vista is the reason you should move to 7. 7 is what Vista should have been.

Another reason to move. It's claimed Vista will have support until 2012. Although that could change, you'll have to update to keep getting security updates, if they keep that year.

By the end of the year, I'm moving to 7. I may get a new system though.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Been on Windows 7 since pre-release beta. I have found it to be very capable, and as a bonus, I can run some old DOS and Windows 95 legacy games. Can't complain at all.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

I'm still on XP... and have 2k still running on one PC that acts as a server. Vista did not appeal to me, though 7 looks hopeful.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
    I'm still on XP... and have 2k still running on one PC that acts as a server. Vista did not appeal to me, though 7 looks hopeful.
    Couldn't agree more. Vista blows (I still have it on a desktop and I treat it like my mother-in-law -- only go near it when I have to) and Windows 7, by comparison mind you, is amazing.
    Who cares? I thankfully have not needed to use Windoze in my personal or professional life, other than the occassional office document, since about 1997.
    : (){:|:&};:
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    Who cares? I thankfully have not needed to use Windoze in my personal or professional life, other than the occassional office document, since about 1997.
    So, what have you been using?
    Seems like a waste, then, to post in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by tcrunner View Post
    Or it could add a shade of gray of perspective.
    "Who cares?" Is a shade of gray? The point of the OP was to discuss Windows 8 and whether or not the playbook of MS has changed. How is dialogue on this topic improved by pointing out that you have not used as MS OS for 13 years?

Shades of gray on this topic would be...

Yes, I think it is the same and this is why...

or

No, I think this is totally different and this is why...

"Who cares" comes across as trollish.

In your post, perspective was defined by you as a shade of gray. I was merely pointing out that you definition is/was flawed. A shade of gray on a subject means that the thought or statement has some bearing on the topic. "Who cares", does not qualify as on topic.

It is not dogma, it is truth. By your line of thinking then, I should not be called out if, while in my Physics class, I proclaim to the professor "Who cares" when he asks what I think on the Theory of Relativity? Perhaps I don't belong in a Physics class if I do not care to participate in the discussion.

I'm on Windows 7, it's actually renewed my faith in Windows. For those of you who have yet to jump, (namely if you're on vista) it's really the one to go to, and it'll run on anything.

It almost seems every other OS has been better from Microsoft lately, but pulling the worry and complication of backups and fresh installs away from the consumers is the way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by joshaccount View Post
    Couldn't agree more. Vista blows (I still have it on a desktop and I treat it like my mother-in-law -- only go near it when I have to) and Windows 7, by comparison mind you, is amazing.
    It's a memory hog and the folder structure became a bit unintuitive. I'm still not sure why the "move" command was removed so now you have to cut or copy and paste(at least on Home Premium SP1). But other than that, it has saved me from weird downloads and program start-ups(some sites really aren't safe) due to Administrative control so I can't complain too much about it. Some legit stuff it just won't allow you to do even as administrator and that's annoying though. I hope they fixed that in 7, or Vista SP2. I actually never installed that, maybe I should, lol.

P.S. I installed it but am not sure of any benefit yet. I also read SP1 for W7 will be out eventually too.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 07/08/2010 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
    So, what have you been using?
    OS/2 in the late 90's, Linux ever since. Servers, workstations, firewalls, VPNs, infrastructure services, LAMP solutions, etc.

The only place that Microsoft has a better solution, for the things that I do, at this point in time is Microsoft Project. Visio is also nice, but its functionality can be reproduced with a good set of OODraw templates.

I honestly don't have a whole lot of use for word processors and spreadsheets much on a day to day basis anyway. If you are using Excel to store data and create reports, you are doing it wrong. If you are using Word for publication of standards, SOPs, other documentation, etc, you are doing it wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    "Who cares?" Is a shade of gray? The point of the OP was to discuss Windows 8 and whether or not the playbook of MS has changed. How is dialogue on this topic improved by pointing out that you have not used as MS OS for 13 years?

Shades of gray on this topic would be...

Yes, I think it is the same and this is why...

or

No, I think this is totally different and this is why...

"Who cares" comes across as trollish.
    Who cares what Microsoft is doing now? There have been much better solutions around for many years already. People who have supported that company and its business practices are the reason computer software has been held back the past 2 decades.

You'd think a bunch of WebOS zealots would have that perspective being talked about above. You're sheep, just like the apple fans. There are much better options, and have been for years. But, by all means, keep masturbating over the 'awesomeness' coming out of redmond while the rest of us continue to actually be productive having our computers serve us logically and efficiently.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Who cares what Microsoft is doing now? There have been much better solutions around for many years already. People who have supported that company and its business practices are the reason computer software has been held back the past 2 decades.
    If Linux/Apples ran any game I picked up of the self of any store. I would switch
    If Linux/Apple made a wizard for building drivers so the hardware I buy off the self would work .I would switch.
    If Linux/Apple were on at least 90% of the omputers in the world.I would switch.

We are not zealots of microsoft as enterprise is not a zealot of blackberries.
    They are the standard for better or worse.
    Windows has not held Linux back Linux has been Free for over Thirty years now.Great or what it does I dual boot but it has it's place the same for apple(not the free part though.)

No sir it is not us that are the zealot it is you.
    You should be lead the Linux revolution.
    Make it a good easy intuitive solution and people will buy a Free product.

That's why I support webos not because it's the best but because I believe it can be.That also why I have windows machines xp(dual) and 7 because windows provides a good product.

While on the subject: Never blast a company this day in age for business practices unless you plan to strip naked, give away ur car, house ,never eat even veggie burgers, and quick where you work. No company has gotten were they are with out shadey grey area tatics.Hospitals(that save lives) compete and slander each other.
    Get mainstream program and product support first, then I'll consider Linux. Very few products and mainstream software seem to work with Linux.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast