Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    I'm on Windows 7, it's actually renewed my faith in Windows. For those of you who have yet to jump, (namely if you're on vista) it's really the one to go to, and it'll run on anything.

It almost seems every other OS has been better from Microsoft lately, but pulling the worry and complication of backups and fresh installs away from the consumers is the way to go.
    I want to jump to to windows 7 (had the beta all the way to the end) however microsoft still insists on not having a family license pack and to me it just is not affordable to spend 120 on one computer upgrade. Heres to hoping microsoft also takes one out of the new mobile world and makes all future upgrades downloadable and either free, or at a MUCH lower prices or atleast make a family pack, doesn't mac have one? Ever since I jumped back down to vista my computer feels so much slower if thats possible! Is windows 7 really that much better?

>i730>i850>i870>i880>ic902>instinct>pre>HTC Arrive
    Do they at least give you more than one install? I was able to do that on my XP Pro upgrade.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Do they at least give you more than one install? I was able to do that on my XP Pro upgrade.
    If you mean on the same computer? Yes, on seperate ones? No. I can see paying 120 or 150 for multiple licenses 3-5, but from windows vista to 7 it is NOT worth 120 for an upgrade for ONE pc. Not when the economy is down. Though 7 does prove to be better, still. Anyway 8 is a different story depending on what they add, though I suspect they will probably require specific minimum specs and am hoping they make touchscreens one ONLY because it would progress their support for touchscreens and move technology further along. Though i also would like there to be an 8 that is workable on old pc's for those who don't need all the extra fancy stuff.

Does anyone ever feel like the smartphone world is supperior to the computing world intuitive and productive wise? I feel like smartphone OS's are smarter then the computer OS"s but are only lite versions and can't really replace them quite yet. with this I mean getting to programs on your phone, viewing photos, videos, using the camera, messagin emailing, calanders ect. On a pc its just not that easy or intuitive. I'd love to see pc's reach this area as well and being microsoft is the only one who could really do that at this point, I am rooting for a new era of computing.

I was able to on multiples with XP Pro until the license ran out. I think I had 3 times to do it.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I think msft is doing the right thing when they limit the download of windows 7 to one pc... Far too much pirateing going on...
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    I think msft is doing the right thing when they limit the download of windows 7 to one pc... Far too much pirateing going on...
    Yes but do you not believe they would sell more to families if they sold them in bundles? Even apple, does

Amazon.com: Apple Mac OS X Version 10.5.6 Leopard [5-User Family Pack]: Software

It just makes sense. Should the consumer have to pay 120 for an upgrade for one computer? Apple's os is 240 for 5. Being that apple is always alittle overpriced I would imagine a competitive price would be 200 for 5 or 75 for 1 market it as buy the family pack and save 47 percent per license! Most people have atleast two computers, and plenty have more. It just makes sense to get the newer updates out there more. Heres how i see it. 5 familys buy the family pack = 1000 dollars. 5 famiies by the current upgrade for the most important computer = 600 (im sorry i don't know any family that would go out and buy windows 7 for each of their computers) The new way, microsoft makes 400 dollars more and gains potentially up to 25 new windows X users, whereas the other way, they don't gain the extra money and they don't really gain anything. meanwhile the families technically can get more for less. If there are 5 computers. one for mom dad, bob lance and ted (random names lol) bob ted and lance can chip in 40 bucks each and there parents can chip in the rest and everyone wins.

I don't know maybe my logic doesn't work in the business world? but i've always noticed when prices are low, sales are high (with the exception of high demand items)

Totally understand against piracy, however honest users with families, or even a group of friends that wants to pitch in and buy a bundle of licenses, should not be punished because others have made mistakes. I agree with having a number limit of licenses though. 5 is a nice number because most people i know have 3-5 pc's

Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    I bought the disc at Best Buy or CompUSA when it was still in business, I can't remember exactly.

I'm no pirate, thank you very much. But when you're paying that much money, companies need to give you more than one install. They had it right with XP.

Also what happens if you need to reformat? You used to be able to call MSFT for a new license. Did they take that away too?

8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I bought the disc at Best Buy or CompUSA when it was still in business, I can't remember exactly.

I'm no pirate, thank you very much. But when you're paying that much money, companies need to give you more than one install. They had it right with XP.

Also what happens if you need to reformat? You used to be able to call MSFT for a new license. Did they take that away too?
    now when it comes to reformating I haven't seen an issue just putting in your old cd and license as long as it's not in use.
    It will ask you to activate over the internet again, and will accept the same serial you put in last time.
    Double post. As a side note, phoning Microsoft never gave you a new license, it only allowed you to bypass the online activation process
    Last edited by mobius9; 07/13/2010 at 03:24 AM.
    From what I've experienced, Windows 7 doesn't have a problem activating on multiple computers with the same key, just so long as they aren't using it at the same time. Though I'm unclear as to what these requirements are.

Microsoft has always lead the market for many reasons, lately it's been not because they produce good products, but because they have the market. The same could be seen with the iPhone 4, very popular but even the Consumer Reports gave it a Do not buy rating.

However Microsoft has pulled ahead with a clean OS this round which does many things right.

And I would hate to be on an Apple computer when they begin taking over more of the market share. I imagine the virus and worm outbreak will be terrible. It's just like the Europeans who built up resistance to many terrible diseases and viruses (like Microsoft has always faced and fought) and the Native Americans when they were introduced. (Apple really has never faced mass outbreaks, not because they're OS is more secure, but because no-one has bothered to deal with 10% of a market when they could potentially hit 89%) All it'll take is one person/group to decide that they don't like Apple's snide attitude and the people who use their products.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12