Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    She is halfway through a five-week half-transcontinental bike trip, averaging sixty to seventy miles a day. Yesterday, in Glacier National Park, they rode the "Going to the Sun" road in 36 degrees, one of the most beautiful and scary rides I can imagine, especially on the descent. Sheer drops on both sides of the road and snow everywhere. She is longing for the flatness and heat of Florida. This is a great video, which is about as close as I will ever come to riding that road.

Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    She is halfway through a five-week half-transcontinental bike trip, averaging sixty to seventy miles a day. Yesterday, in Glacier National Park, they rode the "Going to the Sun" road in 36 degrees, one of the most beautiful and scary rides I can imagine, especially on the descent. Sheer drops on both sides of the road and snow everywhere. She is longing for the flatness and heat of Florida. This is a great video, which is about as close as I will ever come to riding that road.

hmmm poor woman, has to go on a dangerous ride to get away from you lololol
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.

awesome ride -- and awesome wife !!

I rode 30 flat miles RT to Great Falls NP yesterday, and I was beat -- so I'm in pathetic shape.

A decade or so ago I rode across Taiwan, and we summited a high volcano in the center (snow and high winds on top).

It took us 8 hours in continuous heavy rain to descend -- brutal.

Several riders wore out their brake pads and had to walk. Going down a mountain is often more trouble than going up, especially when its cold. During the ascent I wore nothing but bike shorts. But though I had on every shirt, wind breaker, glove, rain coat, Gortex pants, and plastic bag I could beg borrow or steal, I've never been as wet and as cold as I was during those 8 hours going down.

(wore almost comically maybe a dozen plastic bags -- taped them round my shoes, hat, gloves -- everywhere I could in a mostly futile attempt to try to lessen the amount of rain I was absorbing...)
    Last edited by BARYE; 07/05/2010 at 12:03 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    awesome ride -- and awesome wife !!

I rode 30 flat miles RT to Great Falls NP yesterday, and I was beat -- so I'm in pathetic shape.

A decade or so ago I rode across Taiwan, and we summited a high volcano in the center (snow and high winds on top).

It took us 8 hours in continuous heavy rain to descend -- brutal.

Several riders wore out their brake pads and had to walk. Going down a mountain is often more trouble than going up, especially when its cold. During the ascent I wore nothing but bike shorts. But though I wore every shirt, wind breaker, gloves, rain coat, Gortex pants, and plastic bag I could beg borrow or steal, I've never been as wet and as cold as I was during those 8 hours going down.

(wore almost comically maybe a dozen plastic bags -- taped them round my shoes, hat, gloves -- everywhere I could trying to lessen the amount of rain I was absorbing...)
    They rode in the rain the day before in forty degrees. She wore a shower cap to keep her head dry, which apparently is very important. The descent was apparently quite scary but she got through it...and slept well. When she said it was only a 7% grade, and about 60 miles total, I believe I just shook my head.
    Going to the Sun is a great drive...did it a handfull of times when I lived in Alberta. Should still be plenty of snow up there this time of year...i think the pass would have just opened a week or 2 ago. As a bike ride it would be totaly epic. Well done wife unit!
    They rode in the rain the day before in forty degrees. She wore a shower cap to keep her head dry, which apparently is very important. The descent was apparently quite scary but she got through it...and slept well. When she said it was only a 7% grade, and about 60 miles total, I believe I just shook my head.
    as your wife will likely tell you, the reason an ascent is "easier" is because you generate your own heat on the way up -- a long descent means coasting at 10-30 mph, and no opportunity to produce heat, no way to get warm ...
  7.    #7  
    as your wife will likely tell you, the reason an ascent is "easier" is because you generate your own heat on the way up -- a long descent means coasting at 10-30 mph, and no opportunity to produce heat, no way to get warm ...

Apparently there was more traffic on the way down....and she was wearing two pairs of gloves, which made her braking ability less than certain, apparently. And one would appear to need good brakes on the descent. Seeing as I hate heights, I would need some significant medication.

At least this explains why davidra has been more grumpy than normal lately. He has no one taking care of him and he clearly needs the attention.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    At least this explains why davidra has been more grumpy than normal lately. He has no one taking care of him and he clearly needs the attention.
    Actually, we don't take care of each other. Makes for a more satisfying relationship.
    Wow, the route looks great. I am quite jealous. I had to study my a** off for the last couple of months and I am really looking forward to my next decent bike ride. Which is probably called for because while studying aforementioned a** got quite out of shape.

Unfortunately on the biking side of things there's still a huge soccer frenzy over here because of the world cup and there is no way i am going to motivate my friends for extensive bike rides.

Fortunately on the beer-drinking sides of things there's still a huge soccer frenzy over here... ;-)
    Actually, we don't take care of each other. Makes for a more satisfying relationship.
    Which isn't a total surprise and again, explains a lot.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    apparently she REALLY wants to get away from you...LOL

be sure you tell her about this thread. she will think it is very romantic and appreciate the gesture.
    very nice,,thats good stuff.i love biking,i pretty much do atleast 100 miles a week for fun and excircise. Doing what she is doing makes me feel I have to step it up a notch,,lol wow. That must be such a thrill. Good luck to her.
  14.    #14  
    Things have been a little easier the last two days after passing the Continental Divide...60+ miles a day, but with a tailwind....
    Things have been a little easier the last two days after passing the Continental Divide...60+ miles a day, but with a tailwind....
    what is her route (start, path, destination ...), is she traveling with a group, is she being followed by a support car, how old is she, have you done long bike trips as well ??
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    what is her route (start, path, destination ...), is she traveling with a group, is she being followed by a support car, how old is she, have you done long bike trips as well ??
    Umm... stalker?

Seriously, though, good for your wife davidra. That's quite a feat! I've only done 25-50 mile rides in the foothills and that kicks my ****.
  17.    #17  
    They call it the Northern Tier. Started at Anacortes, Wa., through Sandpoint, Id, Eureka and Whitefish MT, Glacier, New Town and Minot and ending up in Fargo on 7/21. Fifteen women and a SAG van. She's done lots of long trips...from Alaska to France...usually two to three a year after her work year is over. She's...well, let's just say she much younger than I. No, I don't bike. Even if I had the time, aerobic exercise is not my thing. Rather be on the water.

Last edited by davidra; 07/07/2010 at 06:00 AM.
    well good on her,, and you for supporting her in this.. i use to bike not for a long time now.. knees cant handle it.. hell hunting every fall is bad enough on them lllol as is the skiing in the winter..
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
    Did you send a Pre with her so she can post video while she is coasting down hills?
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Did you send a Pre with her so she can post video while she is coasting down hills?
    No. Although she is on Verizon (I'm on Sprint through work), I wasn't about to expose her to patches and possible bad hardware right before she left, so I got her a Droid (Incredibles were back-ordered). It gave me a chance to play with Android, enough to determine I didn't like it. But she has been posting to her Facebook page every day. No videos, though.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast