Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 81 to 92 of 92
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by joshaccount View Post
    I certainly agree with what you are saying -- our voice is just one of many diverse voices that comprise "the rest of the world". However, some people out there feel as if President Obama's Nobel Prize, which appears to have been awarded in the absence of meritorious substance, will devalue the same prize awarded to past recipients for their significant, easily defined, and often tangible contributions.
    a fair point -- even if I don't necessarily agree in this case

    I believe they decided that Obama's election (and his agenda) represented such a monumental shift from the moronic war seeking policies of his predecessor, that from the point of view of the planet, it was the equivalent of a Sakharov, a Mandela, or an Aung San Suu Kyi.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  2.    #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    a fair point -- even if I don't necessarily agree in this case

    I believe they decided that Obama's election (and his agenda) represented such a monumental shift from the moronic war seeking policies of his predecessor, that from the point of view of the planet, it was the equivalent of a Sakharov, a Mandela, or an Aung San Suu Kyi.
    I do understand why they awarded him the prize, yet I feel it was premature, the planet is still the planet and we are still at war. An incredible vision of peace and prosperity and global communication and restoration and etc. is nice and certainly needed; I would suggest many is his party have the same vision. I would have liked the Nobel committee to wait and see if his vision eventually translated into results. Kinda Like Al Gore, who had a vision of positively affecting mans role in global warming via the movie he made, yet it would have been prudent, IMO, to see if his vision bears fruit before the prize is awarded.
  3. #83  
    I think it's hard enough to agree on topics on this site... To inject poltics onto it.
    I know it's off topic... But it is a touchy subject that can be very divisive. I would like to participate but rather keep my political views off of this site.
    this is a plot by a troll to divide us ;-)
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenanator View Post
    Using a teleprompter means you actually took the time to to prepare and put some thought into what you are going to say. Maybe republicans should try that...
    you are an *****, if you think that obama prepared his speeches...
    http://tinyurl.com/2w46j7m
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by joshaccount View Post
    I do understand why they awarded him the prize, yet I feel it was premature, the planet is still the planet and we are still at war. An incredible vision of peace and prosperity and global communication and restoration and etc. is nice and certainly needed; I would suggest many is his party have the same vision. I would have liked the Nobel committee to wait and see if his vision eventually translated into results. Kinda Like Al Gore, who had a vision of positively affecting mans role in global warming via the movie he made, yet it would have been prudent, IMO, to see if his vision bears fruit before the prize is awarded.
    Had I been voting (astonishingly, BARYE is not on the committee) I would likely use the same criteria you described.

    Moreover I suspect that Obama -- a very smart guy who knows and appreciates history -- would agree as well.

    Especially for major statesman, the award ideally should have some link to results -- unlike comparatively quixotic figures like a Sakharov or an Aung San Suu Kyi, who are given the award not so much for what they have achieved, as for their heroically persistent quests against insurmountable evil.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  6.    #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    Had I been voting (astonishingly, BARYE is not on the committee) I would likely use the same criteria you described.
    Un-flippin-believeable!! BARYE was not on the ballot? Well, that calls into question the entire charade. I feel lost...

    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    Moreover I suspect that Obama -- a very smart guy who knows and appreciates history -- would agree as well.
    I think I saw that is his voice and posture, he seemed almost a little embarrassed by the award, which I appreciated. It's part of what makes him likable, that and his intelligence.
  7. #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by joshaccount View Post


    I think I saw that is his voice and posture, he seemed almost a little embarrassed by the award, which I appreciated. It's part of what makes him likable, that and his intelligence.
    Yeah, there's that. And also the fact that he's a H*tlerian socialist Muslim Kenyan.
  8. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    Yeah, there's that. And also the fact that he's a H*tlerian socialist Muslim Kenyan.
    No, just socialist / anti-capitalist.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  9. #89  
    Quite a few people have been awarded that prize over the years.. some, hell most, have had their nay sayers. Frankly I was surprised at his win. Not that he may be undeserving, but in my weak feeble old mind, felt there were many more canidates as deserving as him,, like me..lol . He just was not on the top of my list.
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
  10. #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    I think it's hard enough to agree on topics on this site... To inject poltics onto it.
    I know it's off topic... But it is a touchy subject that can be very divisive. I would like to participate but rather keep my political views off of this site.
    this is a plot by a troll to divide us ;-)

    LOL, I am with you.... it's bad enough when everyone is using FB for trying to drag you into political debate (and these are friends that already know where you stand politically).....

    I do enjoy reading some of the thoughtful discussion on political subjects (but it's rare for the discussion to stay thoughtful or to stay a discussion).
  11. #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    Yeah, there's that. And also the fact that he's a H*tlerian socialist Muslim Kenyan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    No, just socialist / anti-capitalist.
    I think Micael got it right on this one. No reasonable person has ever suggested that he's not American, just that he may not have been born as one. I'm still of the opinion that it would be best if he gave up the documents the birthers want, but I understand the arguments against it, and find it incredibly unlikely that there's a problem at this point.

    As far as Muslim, he's far worse than that. There are millions of good honest muslims with excellent values similar to yours and mine. (Well, mine anyway. No idea about your values) I count a small number of them as my friends.

    Meanwhile, Obama has spent a significant portion of his adult life attending a church that regularly preached hate, racisim, and anarchy; despite calling itself a Christian church.

    Within every religion, be it Islam, Christianity, Judaism, there are those churches which preach the best aspects of that faith, and those that preach the worst aspects of that faith.
  12. #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    I think it's hard enough to agree on topics on this site... To inject poltics onto it.
    I know it's off topic... But it is a touchy subject that can be very divisive. I would like to participate but rather keep my political views off of this site.
    this is a plot by a troll to divide us ;-)
    no doubt BARYE is to blame -- the naked potency of his will is irresistible -- mere humans are powerless in the face of this force from being compelled to open and read the posts in this forum.

    I humbly apologize -- and in the future I will try as much as I can, to restrain my charisma ...
    Last edited by BARYE; 07/08/2010 at 04:36 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Posting Permissions