Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    That's funny... I'd placed Obama about 4 Presidents below GWB....

(I'm kidding!)
    I would put almost all since lincoln at the bottom of every list, along with most members of congress since then, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Troll
    Apocalyptic descriptions are great for the literary types, but they are little more than story. The world hasn't ended, nor has it experienced a great flowering of wealth in the wake of current policies.
    So if I am to understand you, this "story" is fiction -- nothing was wrong, everything could have self corrected -- ??

Lending is still tight. I'm buying an investment property and the best I can get is 6%. If I were to get a government subsidized loan it would be more like 4.5%. This is from banks that are getting money from the Federal Reserve at .1% interest.

The cure for seized lending is reduced consumption. The more business saves, the more is available in the lending markets. But to listen to your average Obama adviser we should solve the problem of reduced lending with free money for banks and bloated government consumption, the exact opposite of what any novice economics student would tell you can sustainably fix the problem.

But these times are exceptional! Yes, as they have always been. There will always be some mitigating factor to doing what is prudent and necessary for long term growth. Pretty soon we're stuck in the stagnation of countries like Spain and Japan who have spent their next generations life savings before they have been born.
    when an economy has frozen -- when no one is conducting business because credit has become frozen, no one is buying because they have lost their jobs or fear they'll be next -- you'd advocate cutting back on consumption ???

yes a student who studied at "Liberty University" might perhaps have learned such a solution.

For years politicians have run around telling folks that the economy should be run just like the family budget. Ergo it takes no special intelligence or knowledge to understand why the government should not do this or that.

Hogwash.

Everyone seems to think they learned about inflation -- about wheelbarrows of currency during the Wiemar Republic. That they are experts who like half guvennator Palin could fix things if only their "commonsense" ideas were implemented.

Balderdash.

The world was on the precipice of a deflationary death spiral when Obama became President-- an issue that most americans (including you apparently) cannot conceptualize.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 07/05/2010 at 09:48 PM.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    But even mature intelligent southerners like Lee understood how much of a loss it was for the south when Lincoln was assassinated -- since Lincoln was almost alone amongst the political leadership in wanting a generous peace.
    In those days, as in these, most politicians are more concerned about a generous piece.
    To you tea party people out there, the reason people steroetype you is this...

Tea Party Protest Pictures - Washington DC
    Quote Originally Posted by Troll
    I heard this guy who liked the beetles murdered someone one time. You don't like the beetles do you?
    Just how old ARE you? beetles?
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 07/05/2010 at 09:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    I would put almost all since lincoln at the bottom of every list, along with most members of congress since then, too.
    Oh, I think that's a bit harsh. We've certainly had several good presidents since lincoln, and even Lincoln did some really bad things. It was under Lincoln that the first "temporary" federal income tax was instituted. Of course, we all know what happened to that.*

Besides, we have had a lot of presidents who did some good. Regan understood what a Laffer curve was and what it meant, and Clinton beat congress over the head until they balanced the budget. Kenedy was on track to do a lot of amazingly good things, and Obama is at a point where depending on what he does in the second half of his presidency, he could be very good, very bad, or mediocre.

*Just in case anybody doesn't know what happened with Lincoln and income tax, there was no federal income tax before Lincoln and the civil war. Before that, the fed got income from taxes on goods and services, trade, and contributions from states, etc. The federal income tax was instituted as a "temporary war time measure" which never went away, which was no shock to anybody familiar with Julious Ceasar. Temporary war-time powers that give new and unprecedented power to governments rarely end up being temporary.
    my point is that they are generally crooks and power hungry. That's why I said it that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by louis6279 View Post
    To you tea party people out there, the reason people steroetype you is this...

[url= Party Protest Pictures - Washington DC[/url]
    way to stay on the thread topic!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    my point is that they are generally crooks and power hungry. That's why I said it that way.
    And my point, is that if being a power hungry crook is enough to rate a person as a bad president despite the good they've also done, you have to include Lincoln in the bad President list, and maybe even put him at the top with F.D.R., because while both did an enormous amount of good for the country, both drastically increased the taxation of the American people, reduced the rights of states, and made mind boggling power grabs for the federal government and the office of the president.

Being human, all presidents are good in some ways and bad in others.

It's also worth pointing out that Presidents are like baseball pitchers, in that they receive too much credit for the wins, and too much blame for the losses.
    Quote Originally Posted by tcrunner View Post
    Photographic, videographic, and audiographic evidence proves that the Tea Party is comprised of more than just one lone nut.
    [sarcasm]And the Democratic party, is comprised of more than one lone hippie who uses their welfare check to buy drugs, because I've seen videos with hundreds of them in one place. Therefore all democrats must use their welfare checks to buy drugs.[/sarcasm]

Your insistence on clinging to an obvious logical fallacy is pretty entertaining. You can find, within ANY protest group, a large number of people with spelling, grammar and even logical errors on their protest signs, regardless of what they are protesting. It's simply a matter of what the media chooses to photograph.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    Your insistence on clinging to an obvious logical fallacy is pretty entertaining. You can find, within ANY protest group, a large number of people with spelling, grammar and even logical errors on their protest signs, regardless of what they are protesting. It's simply a matter of what the media chooses to photograph.
    You see, the problem with your statement is that all democrats are highly educated people. Why, we have a democrat here in SC that is running for the Senate, one Alvin Greene, who pretty much sets the bar for all democrats. He has caught a bit of grief, but more democrats voted for him than the other supposedly more deserving (uhum, white) democrat candidate, and yet he isn't being taken seriously when the well educated democrats have elected him. Of course, some people believe that he was mistaken for legendary singer Al Green, but that's besides the point. The guy is clearly an articulate democrat who could quite possibly get people to change parties.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    You see, the problem with your statement is that all democrats are highly educated people. Why, we have a democrat here in SC that is running for the Senate, one Alvin Greene, who pretty much sets the bar for all democrats. He has caught a bit of grief, but more democrats voted for him than the other supposedly more deserving (uhum, white) democrat candidate, and yet he isn't being taken seriously when the well educated democrats have elected him. Of course, some people believe that he was mistaken for legendary singer Al Green, but that's besides the point. The guy is clearly an articulate democrat who could quite possibly get people to change parties.
    For those republicans wanting their representatation to reflect their state-wide consitutency, he's probably not that far off.

And of course, he'd probably care more about moving the country forward than his opponent, the "Waterloo" man himself.
    Well time will tell on where Obama's legacy will rank, but to measure any presidency not even half way through a first term is a joke, but hey we can award a nobel peace prize after only a couple months on the job so why not.
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    Well time will tell on where Obama's legacy will rank, but to measure any presidency not even half way through a first term is a joke, but hey we can award a nobel peace prize after only a couple months on the job so why not.
    That certainly has to be factored into the equation. The effects of executive policies sometimes are relatively immediate and sometimes can't be felt for several years. Without that long range perspective, such an exercise is highly subjective at best and little more than a popularity contest at worst. Especially since, as I mentioned before, it doesn't appear that a sample questionnaire or respondent list is forthcoming.
    Just read an interesting commentary from the increasingly conservative Howard Fineman.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    Last I heard, Americans alone dont decide who gets or doesnt get the Nobel prize. If the rest of the world decided that he deserved one, who are we to say otherwise.
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
    Quote Originally Posted by xForsaken View Post
    Last I heard, Americans alone dont decide who gets or doesnt get the Nobel prize. If the rest of the world decided that he deserved one, who are we to say otherwise.
    Last I heard, the rest of the world doesn't decide either. The Nobel committee does, so effectively Norway decides (the Peace Prize anyway).
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    And the alternative? Why, it's the pubic option.

Please add "No Diversity"

LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by randolphslim View Post
    Please add "No Diversity"

LOL
    no there's diversity

they range from conservative, to ignorant, and all the way to "birther" wacko and beyond ...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  20.    #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by xForsaken View Post
    I certainly agree with what you are saying -- our voice is just one of many diverse voices that comprise "the rest of the world". However, some people out there feel as if President Obama's Nobel Prize, which appears to have been awarded in the absence of meritorious substance, will devalue the same prize awarded to past recipients for their significant, easily defined, and often tangible contributions.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast