Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    partisanship aside, I find it very silly and a little suspect that a president who hasn't even finished 1 term gets put into a list like this, regardless of ranking
    August 2009 - January 2011. Thank god I'm no longer a Pre user!

who could be more qualified to decide "better" than a bunch of people that live in the oxygen-free world of "scholars".

Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach...

Once they have a sitting president "ranked" above Regan, there is no credibility left...

And of course there couldn't be any political bias in this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    who could be more qualified to decide "better" than a bunch of people that live in the oxygen-free world of "scholars".

Once they have a sitting president "ranked" above Regan, there is no credibility left...

Yeah, you're right. Tbaggers would be much better. They'd idolize "Regan" too.

I agree as well -- Regan was the only intelligent guy in that White House -- jeez -- it it weren't for him the whole country would have been run by Ouija board ...
    Last edited by BARYE; 07/02/2010 at 05:21 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Only if he has a teleprompter to tell him what to imagine...
    Using a teleprompter means you actually took the time to to prepare and put some thought into what you are going to say. Maybe republicans should try that...
    "Brace yourself, you beautiful *****. I am about to **** you up with some truth!" - Kenny Powers

"I don't mind paying taxes. With taxes, I purchase civilization."
    - H.L. Mencken

Bash scholars...

Sing the praises of "Regan"...

"Brace yourself, you beautiful *****. I am about to **** you up with some truth!" - Kenny Powers

- H.L. Mencken
    Well Regan was the only smart person in the White house, it was just too bad, Nancy couldnt actually be called the president. She was the real brains in that outfit.
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    Is there dislike for him more so because deep down they are threatened by a colored person in office. If he was hispanic or asian this samething would be going down. I say this because every picture, like this one, there is always a crowd full of middle age or older white people. One person is holding the sign wheres his birth cert. So yea he may have gone to one of the best schools in america and is educated far beyond the average person, but let me denounce all of that because "I heard on FAUX News 2 years ago his birth cert was a fake." I'm sick of all republicans going against everything that is put up. Face it rascim is still alive it's just not shown outword by calling people a n*****. This is obvious with those tea party people. Think what you want but 95% of people who don't like obama don't have a reason of their own that is valid, it's always something they heard from someone else.
    I would like to congratulate you on being the most racist person in the conversation.

The first to bring up race.

The first to suggest that a person, or group of people, only have a particular belief because of their race.

I find your attitudes to be personally offensive. I've actually liked President Obama as a person ever since he called Kanye West a jack-***, and my dislike for Obama as a president has nothing to do with the color of his skin, or the color of my skin.

I dislike his policies. (Too many to list)

I dislike his repeated passing of judgment on issues he knows little or nothing about; like helping push health care without reading the bill, opposing the Arizona immigration enforcement law without reading the bill, or calling the cops who arrested his buddy stupid without reading the police report or even taking time to find out what actually happened.

And before you ask, no. I did not read the entire health care bill, but did read significant portions of it.

I did read the entire Arizona immigration enforcement bill.

I'm embarrassed as an American by his skills as a statesman (bowing to various people he shouldn't be bowing to)

If find his poor public speaking skills when off the teleprompter to be almost as laughable as Bush Jr's. (Not as bad of course, at least Obama can pronounce "nuclear" correctly)

I find his refusal to shut up the birthers to be pointless and juvenile. At this point, it's fair to say that if there were any remote chance that he didn't legitimately have the right to be president, that somebody would have proven it. Yet he continues to let them go on and on, when he could simply shut them all up in 30 seconds by giving them what they ask for. Of course, maybe there's some point in allowing it to continue, but I fail to see what that could be.

I'm disappointed that instead of reigning in that insanity that was TARP when he got into office, he continued Bush Jr's instanity, and even helped to make it worse.

I'm disappointed that he failed to deliver on so many of his campaign promises, and equally disappointed that nobody outside of Fox News and talk radio has called him out on it.

Really, the only good things I can say about his presidency are that he's done less damage than I feared he would do in office, and he's a better speaker than the last president.

Back to the main topic at hand, I agree that it is absurd to try to rank him as President half way through his first (and hopefully only) term as president. He has certainly done better than some presidents, like Jimmy Carter, and that one that died of pneumonia after 2 weeks in office who's name I can never remember.

And, he's certainly done a lot worse that some presidents, like Clinton. As much as my conservative roots hate to admit it, Clinton was easily the best president we've had since Regan, and in some ways better than Regan. He actually balanced the budget, and the deficit grew less under Clinton than any other president in recent memory. On a side note, that kind of makes him the opposite of Obama. I liked him as a president, but really detested the guy as a human being.

But more importantly, he's got two years left. He could really come out swinging in the second half, and make his mark on history for good or bad, or he could continue right where he is, and go down in history as just another mediocre president who only got elected because people were less afraid of the damage he would do, than they were afraid of the damage the other guy could do.
    Quote Originally Posted by xForsaken View Post
    Well Regan was the only smart person in the White house, it was just too bad, Nancy couldnt actually be called the president. She was the real brains in that outfit.
    Well, that's what her astrologer always said...
    Well, that's what her astrologer always said...
    i would have sworn you didn't know about all that astrology stuff...

Please tell us -- why was that phoney actor who wasted the lives hundreds of Marines in Lebanon, who gave us Bin Laden and the Taliban, who left us a devastating budget deficit -- why was he a mediocre never mind good prez ???

And spare us the myth about how SDI/Star Wars bankrupted the old USSR -- they'd been bankrupt for DECADES --- what brought down communism was Gorbachev, a democratizing liberal
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post

I dislike his repeated passing of judgment on issues he knows little or nothing about; like helping push health care without reading the bill, opposing the Arizona immigration enforcement law without reading the bill, or calling the cops who arrested his buddy stupid without reading the police report or even taking time to find out what actually happened.

And before you ask, no. I did not read the entire health care bill, but did read significant portions of it.

I did read the entire Arizona immigration enforcement bill.

I'm embarrassed as an American by his skills as a statesman (bowing to various people he shouldn't be bowing to)

If find his poor public speaking skills when off the teleprompter to be almost as laughable as Bush Jr's. (Not as bad of course, at least Obama can pronounce "nuclear" correctly)

I find his refusal to shut up the birthers to be pointless and juvenile. At this point, it's fair to say that if there were any remote chance that he didn't legitimately have the right to be president, that somebody would have proven it. Yet he continues to let them go on and on, when he could simply shut them all up in 30 seconds by giving them what they ask for. Of course, maybe there's some point in allowing it to continue, but I fail to see what that could be.

I'm disappointed that instead of reigning in that insanity that was TARP when he got into office, he continued Bush Jr's instanity, and even helped to make it worse.

I'm disappointed that he failed to deliver on so many of his campaign promises, and equally disappointed that nobody outside of Fox News and talk radio has called him out on it.

Really, the only good things I can say about his presidency are that he's done less damage than I feared he would do in office, and he's a better speaker than the last president.

But more importantly, he's got two years left. He could really come out swinging in the second half, and make his mark on history for good or bad, or he could continue right where he is, and go down in history as just another mediocre president who only got elected because people were less afraid of the damage he would do, than they were afraid of the damage the other guy could do.
    I must say I am fascinated by your post. You appear to be relatively open-minded about things, yet you evidence some interesting statements that are far from that.

Bowing to others? Just because we have our own idea about cultural sensitivity issues doesn't mean everybody else shares those. It's hardly demeaning to show another country you understand their protocol. In fact, it shows a maturity and understanding of the world that has been sorely lacking.

I would be willing to bet you any amount of money that no sitting president has ever read an entire bill all the way through. Do you really think he didn't know what was in it?

Acknowledging the birthers sounds rational, but you must be smoking something if you think that there is anything he or Hawaii would provide that would shut them up. They would simply claim it was forged. It would be embarking on an endless distraction of claptrap nonsense.

It appear to many that the stimulus has worked fairly well. People quickly forget what a craphole he inherited, losing 750,000 jobs a month.As far as his campaign promises, I suppose he anticipated having some support from republicans, and even all those in his own party. He didn't get it. We elect people to office, then the system does not allow them to lead. Even the UK has a more rational way of governing. Let him lead, then vote him out if things don't work out. But don't let the minority block everything substantial he tries to do, then point out what a failure he is. That's just not reasonable, regardless of what party is in power. We refuse to work together as a country. And yes, I think Bush was one of the worst president of all time, and he would have been voted out of office midway through his second term based on the public's response to his leadership...but he instituted many policies that didn't require a 60 vote majority, and even he had more support from the democrats than Obama has gotten from the republicans. You don't like his policies, fine. But at least give him a chance to see if they work. Our system is arranged to be biased against progress. Not progressives, but progress.

Both parties are dictated to by special interests, but there are differences. A very good friend of mine is in the administration. His appointment caused major problems for Obama because he was a prior "lobbyist": he ran a non-profit for a few years that was dedicated to stopping tobacco use among children (before that he was Daschle's chief of staff as the senate majority leader). For that he was roundly criticized. So now he is in HHS in a very high position, but cannot deal with the tobacco efforts at all. That's fine, but I'd rather have him in place than someone who lobbied for banks, or Haliburton, or the oil companies (like some in this adminstration have done). To me there's a difference. But I am biased, I suppose. Rational unbiased thinking is rare these days, so the only way to get things accomplished is by being more biased than the other party. Basically, we have a flawed system, no matter how wonderful the constitution is. The system and the country have outgrown it, as irritating as that is for conservatives to believe. There was no such thing as stem cell transplants, or nuclear weapons, or airplanes, or illegal immigrants in numbers like there are now, or the internet. There is no guidance for these issues, and politicizing them really is the wrong way to go about things. Enough rambling. I appreciate your willingness to have an open mind about things to some extent. I wish more had this, including myself. I think we have a thoughtful intelligent president who can do great things if he is allowed to lead. His bravery the other day in his comments about moving forward with immigration legislation is just one example of how he has not been afraid to tackle issues that every other president, including Clinton, have shied away from.
    +1 I agree with you all the way davidra. The best post in this entire thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    Back to the main topic at hand, I agree that it is absurd to try to rank him as President half way through his first (and hopefully only) term as president. He has certainly done better than some presidents, like Jimmy Carter, and that one that died of pneumonia after 2 weeks in office who's name I can never remember.
    William Henry Harrison, and it was approximately 30 days.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenanator View Post
    Using a teleprompter means you actually took the time to to prepare and put some thought into what you are going to say...
    I guess you never heard of something called a speech-writer. The speech-writers are the ones that take the time and put in the thought.

The people that actually orate the speech just sign-off on the version they want to use.
    I am not fond of obama, and I don't generally agree with Davidra... But I had no problem with 'bowing', and showing respect for other leaders. If someone has an issue with bowing, did they also criticize bush for holding hands with the Saudi king while walking around his ranch. Bowing means something different to america than it does to other cultures...

there are importants things to criticize bush and obama for (im not a fan of either) so I don't sweat the small stuff like bowing or holding hands...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenanator View Post
    Using a teleprompter means you actually took the time to to prepare and put some thought into what you are going to say. Maybe republicans should try that...
    actually it means less prep because someone else writes it and he doesn't practice. But the point is moot because there is nothing wrong with using technology to be more effective in cummunicating ideas. That's why we have powerpoint and whiteboards for business communication...

I don't generally support obama's policies but I get really annoyed when people criticize silly stuff like that, or bush not having a great handle on the english language, etc.

they all have bigger flaws to worry about.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    Bowing to others? Just because we have our own idea about cultural sensitivity issues doesn't mean everybody else shares those. It's hardly demeaning to show another country you understand their protocol. In fact, it shows a maturity and understanding of the world that has been sorely lacking.
    For you and me, yes. Leaders of state follow a very different protocol. That doesn't mean they can't be sensitive to cultural norms but those norms are usually trumped by positioning. Take the Japanese incident, for example. Few Westerners understand the nuances of ojigi so they're usually advised to give a slight bow (something a bit more than a nod but less than what would be recognized as a bow) and just be polite. The Japanese will understand the lack of knowledge and appreciate the politeness. The President's bow, on the other hand, was the type usually used by people in submission or apology--in fact, lower, since his head was below the Emperor's--and he used completely incorrect posture. In my opinion, rather than show maturity by recognizing the correct protocol for his place in this world, he showed that he's a foreign-relations noob.

There's a fine line between being culturally sensitive and complete pandering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    I guess you never heard of something called a speech-writer. The speech-writers are the ones that take the time and put in the thought.

The people that actually orate the speech just sign-off on the version they want to use.
    No, I have never heard of this "speech writer" you speak of. I just figured a wizard put the text into the teleprompter.

/*******ery

Sorry, I see no real difference between using a teleprompter or using notes and I think the president of the United States may have a few more important tasks to do on a daily basis than sit around memorizing speeches.

- H.L. Mencken
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Having said the above, Obama's Japan gaffe didn't make me cringe near as much as the Merkel shoulder rub incident.
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    ....There's a fine line between being culturally sensitive and complete pandering.
    And that is measured with a protractor?

- H.L. Mencken
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast