Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by louwiid View Post
    I guess ospreyguy's in-laws ARE on PreCentral!

Runawaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
    lol
    Aweeee sounds rough.. I feel your pain too. But not much you can do, well the drink heavily sounds pretty good hehe

Tho on the other side of that coin, my dad was the same way, well maybe not as arrogant, but would have computer issues, and for the life of me, he would NOT listen as to how to prevent them, or whatever,. I would have to constantly go over there and FIX ****** for him. And I wont even mention how embarassing it was to find all the p*o*r*n on his puter, which is probably what contributed to his issues. Or when he had to SHOW me what the problem was he had to pull up the site or newsgroup where the p*o*r*n would come up. Did you even KNOW they have p*o*r*n sites for seniors with pictures OF seniors..

Then the cell phone. He would call me on the land line, frantic that the cell was broken. 99 out of 100 times, he had powered it off, and I had to walk him thru turning it ON.

Sadly he passed away 2 years ago, and i even miss those frantic broken puter calls.

Of course he WAS 88 years old, and pretty much had (well some of) his marbles almost to the end. (Yes and 88 year old into p*o*r*n, go figure)

How old are they? (or you for that matter), remember nothing good OR bad lasts forever.

What part of NON 4G Florida are you in?
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ospreyguy View Post
    So my in-laws are complete asshat-stupid morons. My MIL thinks... Example of her retardation: ... My FIL is a narcissistic jerk... Because I am the tech guy in the family.... I hate them... But my kids love them... they are free sitters...
    It sounds like you are looking for problems and maybe enjoy, or don't mind, rubbing their noses in it. Have you tried saying 'no'? Do that a few times and the requests will fall away. Let someone else be the techie. The end game should be that you raise your kids to become smarter than you *and* not hate you.

P.S. Free sitting can mean more sex for you. Get it now! Once the kids are older they won't want to go to grandma's.
    My 88 year old aunt's printer stopped working. I went in to look at it. She was using WINDOWS 98! I couldn't figure out the problem. I doubt there are new printers that support Win 98. I told her to talk to my cousin about maybe upgrading her system. But who will train her? She is in another state so I'll let her kids handle it.

My Dad won't even use an answering machine. Sis gave him one a couple of times. She hooked them up and taught him how to use them. I found one in the attic, she found the other in a closet. He likes it that way.
    You are married into the family sooo.... suck it up.
    @dianehelen, the way to cure pron is to photoshop his grandaughter's face on a few pictures. If that doesn't work, ya gotta tell his wife.

in your case, you could have judt removes a component so it would work and 'u don't know why' lol.

I know that must have been tough for you. :-(
    that lends a new meaning to the term 'parental control software' LOL
    I dunno, but it sounds like pretty expensive "free" babysitting to me!

I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde. Dolly Parton
    Quote Originally Posted by dandar View Post
    You're the type of tech guy that probably always feels better/smarter than everyone else My daughter is just three, but I hope she's not gonna end up with a guy like you.

You have in laws that value your opinion, love and are good to your kids and may have some character flaws. They are also the parents of your wife. Instead of hating them maybe you should show some respect.
    I agree. You come across like a know-it-all tech aspergers poster child. Cripes, either chill out and let your kids have them in their lives, or balls up and never talk to them again.
    Love them anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by tcrunner View Post
    Bringing Asperger's Syndrome into the equation is out of bounds and unacceptable. Sorry, but it has to be said.
    Wired 9.12: The Geek Syndrome
    Hopefully neither you in-laws nor anyone else who knows them read this forum.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    ^Sorry, but that hole you're digging is only getting deeper. Compartmentalizing the issue is not a responsible response.
    Not digging a hole. You simply are not familiar enough with the industry. Please ignore that which you are not understanding and proceed on.
    Could say the very same to you, though something as vastly meaningless as health might be lost on, and transcend, a techie (until it effects them or their family). Proceed indeed.
    Just so you're aware I majored in Psych and worked in the Mental Health Field for a decade prior to entering the tech industry. I have experience in both.

It seems you are bent on a confrontation here so I am going to have to add you to my Ignore list. Please direct any further complaints/communications regarding me to the moderators.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    @dianehelen, the way to cure pron is to photoshop his grandaughter's face on a few pictures. If that doesn't work, ya gotta tell his wife.

in your case, you could have judt removes a component so it would work and 'u don't know why' lol.

I know that must have been tough for you. :-(
    Nahhhhh I just let him be. He has no grand daughters, my mom (his wife was gone sadly for years, and he passed away 2 years ago himself. It wasnt that tough, just a bit embarassing for a moment.
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dandar View Post
    You're the type of tech guy that probably always feels better/smarter than everyone else My daughter is just three, but I hope she's not gonna end up with a guy like you.

You have in laws that value your opinion, love and are good to your kids and may have some character flaws. They are also the parents of your wife. Instead of hating them maybe you should show some respect.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    I agree. You come across like a know-it-all tech aspergers poster child. Cripes, either chill out and let your kids have them in their lives, or balls up and never talk to them again.
    Nah, that's another big problem. I know just enough to get by so things take a long time to trouble shoot...

It's the fact that they assume and impose making wanting to help them harder. I really don't mind helping someone if they take the time to listen or care and be thankful. Even my own parents are gracious and grateful when I do something to help them. I don't know if they think I just "should" because I'm family or what but it's annoying.

Hence the reason I am venting on a forum as opposed to them directly ruining any chances for my kids to have a healthy relationship with them.

It's a lot easier to just say F-it and never talk to them again. But I am a father first so you make things work. Sometimes it's nice to find a sympathetic ear from someone who has the same type of asshat in-laws.

Maybe I should start a personal diary blog...

Quote Originally Posted by fathom39 View Post
    It sounds like you are looking for problems and maybe enjoy, or don't mind, rubbing their noses in it. Have you tried saying 'no'? Do that a few times and the requests will fall away. Let someone else be the techie. The end game should be that you raise your kids to become smarter than you *and* not hate you.

P.S. Free sitting can mean more sex for you. Get it now! Once the kids are older they won't want to go to grandma's.
    We just moved about 45 minutes away and so it's not nearly as bad. The big thing now is the phone call that is about the "thingy that makes it get on the internets has the little arm picture flashing." Any who, I think my parents are cool! So I guess they did something right!

Quote Originally Posted by Banger View Post
    You are married into the family sooo.... suck it up.
    Done. And feeling sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Hopefully neither you in-laws nor anyone else who knows them read this forum.
    I don't think my FIL knows what a forum is (unless you preface it with penthouse...).

===

Thanks for all the comments (even the one's that don't...um... agree with my POV). Like I said before. It's nice to here other's thoughts on a subject that has you really miffed. You realize how much you sound like a whiny little bit*h and that there are a lot of other whiny little bit*hes out there with you!

Cheers!
    I've learned the hard way that many of those in the field have a very limited experience level when compared to direct involvement in the daily life of those effected.

It is not a confrontation, bent or otherwise, to set the record straight. Since discussing a Mod with a Mod is less than productive, I'll just leave it here.

I appreciate that you intended no harm, but your statement was too flippant for the terms used. I'm sure I've done the same or worse at times.
    Every where I look, you are ragging on a mod. I am adding you to my "ignore" list. Be gone!
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    ignore tcrunner. I am.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    My Life!

My best bad MIL story. We'd been married a few months (maybe 4-5) and the IL's came to visit whilest along their annual jaunt around the country to escape the heat. They spent 3-4 days and moved on. They'd been gone a day or two and I went to make myself some breakfast - Cherios. Grabbed the box from the pantry shelf. Imagine the look on my face as I watched the wax paper liner inside the box, drop through the bottom, hit the floor and explode. Turning the box over to see how this happened, again imagine my surprise when I find that the box bottom is GONE! GONE! CUT OUT! My MIL (at that time) did all this couponing stuff and kept all the critical labels from things, carefully filed in alphabetical order. Need a UPC from a box of Klennex to send in to get that free klennex box cover? It's in the file. Along with my Cherrios box bottom. All the labels from my canned food (she did write what was in the cans onto the can) are there too. For several months I was unsure if picking something up was safe......

And don't grab the box of Klennex. All you'll get is the box. The tissues stay there.
    Author of Exch-Calc, Dog Years, Cat Years and all future creations of Pre-zy Software. Available in the Application Catalog.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast