1.    #1  
    I like it, anyway.

Proud Libertarian here, but still thought that was pretty funny.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I don't understand why libertarians are associated with Ayn Rand. She despised them. Totally.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Damn funny liked em all..
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    I don't understand why libertarians are associated with Ayn Rand. She despised them. Totally.
    Really? Can you provide a link?
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    Really? Can you provide a link?
    Certainly

Here's just one of the quotes referenced there:

Q: What do you think of the Libertarian movement? [FHF: “The Moratorium on Brains,” 1971]

AR: All kinds of people today call themselves “libertarians,” especially something calling itself the New Right, which consists of hippies, except that they’re anarchists instead of collectivists. But of course, anarchists are collectivists. Capitalism is the one system that requires absolute objective law, yet they want to combine capitalism and anarchism. That is worse than anything the New Left has proposed. It’s a mockery of philosophy and ideology. They sling slogans and try to ride on two bandwagons. They want to be hippies, but don’t want to preach collectivism, because those jobs are already taken. But anarchism is a logical outgrowth of the anti-intellectual side of collectivism. I could deal with a Marxist with a greater chance of reaching some kind of understanding, and with much greater respect. The anarchist is the scum of the intellectual world of the left, which has given them up. So the right picks up another leftist discard. That’s the Libertarian movement.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Certainly

Q: What do you think of the Libertarian movement? [FHF: “The Moratorium on Brains,” 1971]

AR: All kinds of people today call themselves “libertarians,” especially something calling itself the New Right, which consists of hippies, except that they’re anarchists instead of collectivists. But of course, anarchists are collectivists. Capitalism is the one system that requires absolute objective law, yet they want to combine capitalism and anarchism. That is worse than anything the New Left has proposed. It’s a mockery of philosophy and ideology. They sling slogans and try to ride on two bandwagons. They want to be hippies, but don’t want to preach collectivism, because those jobs are already taken. But anarchism is a logical outgrowth of the anti-intellectual side of collectivism. I could deal with a Marxist with a greater chance of reaching some kind of understanding, and with much greater respect. The anarchist is the scum of the intellectual world of the left, which has given them up. So the right picks up another leftist discard. That’s the Libertarian movement.
    Wow.

That almost sounds like what I wrote (tongue only gently massaging cheek...)
    Last edited by BARYE; 06/30/2010 at 04:12 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  8. KAM1138
    Hello Everyone,

Hmmm, I wonder what ever happened to that champion of "data," that whined and cried about any article or statement that wasn't the product of some revered "study." Oh well.

I liked the Definition of Libertarian that someone once stated (perhaps more than once).

"A libertarian is a democrat who likes guns, or a republican who likes pot."

KAM
    Certainly

It sounds like libertarian had a very different meaning at the time.

Kind of like the old song, "the party on the left is now the party on the right"
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by KAM1138 View Post
    Hello Everyone,

Hmmm, I wonder what ever happened to that champion of "data," that whined and cried about any article or statement that wasn't the product of some revered "study." Oh well.

I liked the Definition of Libertarian that someone once stated (perhaps more than once).

"A libertarian is a democrat who likes guns, or a republican who likes pot."

KAM

Yeah, right, so glad you came back.

Somehow, I never expect a cartoon to require data. You do?
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    It sounds like libertarian had a very different meaning at the time.

Kind of like the old song, "the party on the left is now the party on the right"
    No, I think much of what she says applies today. Reading her points have caused me to rethink libertarianism. I'm still evaluating. A work in progress lol!