1.    #1  
    It looks like our family is going to Nova Scotia on vacation. We'll be driving there from Philadelphia. We have our itinerary set out, but does anyone have any advice? We'll also be going to some places in Maine, and PEI. It'll be later this August.
    -Bernie

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
    -Dan Quayle
    There is a ferry from Maine to Nova Scotia that cuts off a 600 mile drive from Maine. Last time I checked it was $100 per car one way (I'm not that sure of the price). Wife and I spent two weeks in Maine in spring 2000. We wanted to go to Nova Scotia, but the ferry cost was too much and too long for just a day trip.

We spent most of our time in Camden, Bar Harbor,and Boothbay Harbor. Side trip to Portland. Tried to see as many lighthouses as possible. Drove up the coast to Lubec to Campobello Island. The northern coast of Maine wasn't as pretty as the Bar Harbor and south areas.

Definitely see Acadia National Park. And if you have time, Monhegan Island.

Went on Whale watch boat trip. To me, it was a waste of time. Took all day for 5 minutes to see a small whale breech about 500 yds away.

Was a very enjoyable vacation. We rented a car and went sightseeing from 9am to 8pm most of the time.

Important to remember is that pedestrians have the right of way. We came close to running down a few people until we became accustomed to people stepping out in front of cars and expecting the cars to give way.
    I lived in both Halifax and Charlottetown. In Halifax, the Historic Properties are beautiful heritage bldgs in the harbour. There's also a national historic site called the Citadel, which is a restored fortification. For parks, there are the Public Gardens up South Park Avenue (great shopping and babe - er, people watching too). Point Pleasant Park is an enormous park along the shore, but they had a major parasite infestation of the spruce trees last summer, so I don't know if it's open yet this year. There are also old bunkers from WWII and a Martello Tower from the War Of 1812 (or before?) in that park.
    Outside of Halifax, I highly recommend a drive along the South Shore, which would take you through some gorgeous fishing and boat building villages like Mahone Bay, Peggy's Cove and Lunenberg. Bed & Breakfasts are the way to go for accomodation, they're a great value and the food is usually fab, too. At that time of year, the Annapolis Valley can have pretty spectacular autumn colours going on in the trees.
    On PEI, Charlottetown is very pretty, and has a few great clubs, and restaurants, especially at the waterfront. But Cavendish Beach on the North Shore is the place for water sports, beach scenery (human and landscape), and the home of Lucy Maud Montgomery (author of the Anne Of Green Gables books).
    Dalvay-By-The-Sea has a fantastic inn and restaurant. The best value for your $$, and a real Island institution, are the lobster suppers. You'll be lucky to walk away from the table upright, you can eat so much.
    It's a truly amazing part of the world. Enjoy!
    Hi! I just got back from a great trip to Maine. Try to get to Acadia National Park. It is AMAZING!! I plan on going back again next summer and spending at least two weeks just checking Acadia out. Plus, it's right near Bar Harbor which is beautiful also. Have a super and safe trip no matter where you go
  5.    #5  
    Thanks! I'm passing this post to my mom who's doing the planning. We're taking a ferry, I think it's called the Cat, or something like that. I think everything is planned out mostly, though. Any advice on the area, what it's like, what to expect?Thanks.
    -Bernie

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
    -Dan Quayle
    Really depends on your driving route. If your parents are planning the fastest route, you will probably be taking Interstate 95 and it is not all that exciting on the highway. On the other hand if your parents plan the slow trip up Route 1 and the coast of Maine, you will have plenty of opportunity to drive along the beautiful rocky coastline and look out at the ocean.

It definitely adds time but to me it is worth it. I wouldn't get to Bar Harbor and Acadia NP any other way!

If you go that way make sure you have cash and room to carry. Along the route is a "State Penitentiary Showroom". There is a state prison along the route where the inmates are allowed to make wood products, everything from keychains to rolltop desks. But they do not ship and they did not used to take credit cards (could have changed).

Have fun, I am jealous as Maine is the most beautiful state I have ever visited (and my wife and I just drove cross country!)
    No more rhymes...and this time I mean it!
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by maddog
    Really depends on your driving route. If your parents are planning the fastest route, you will probably be taking Interstate 95 and it is not all that exciting on the highway. On the other hand if your parents plan the slow trip up Route 1 and the coast of Maine, you will have plenty of opportunity to drive along the beautiful rocky coastline and look out at the ocean.
    I am a fan of "scenic routes (wait, that sounds funny. Who's gonna say they aren't???) and I'll probably push really hard for that. I don't think it will be too tough, though.
    -Bernie

-Dan Quayle