Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    He and his staff have been quoted as having made disrespectful and insubordinate comments about The President and members of the civilian chain of leadership.

When the military's highest echelon behaves this way -- as did MacArthur toward Truman during the Korean War -- its often seen as a challenge to the traditionally subservient role that the military plays to elected civilians in a democracy.

As such, it is usually required that a general responsible for the insubordination be forced to retire.

But McChrystal's role in Afghanistan is particularly important right now, especially during this hyper critical period.

What should Obama do ?

Signs point to McChrystal ouster
    Mike Allen Politico
    June 22, 2010

Public and private signs from the administration point to President Barack Obama firing — or accepting the resignation of — Gen. Stanley McChrystal after careless, smart-aleck comments he and his staff made to Rolling Stone.

The magazine said in the profile's subtitle that the U.S. commander in Afghanistan never takes "his eye off the real enemy: The wimps in the White House.”

Retired Army Gen. Barry McCaffrey declared on MSNBC’s “Andrea Mitchell Reports” that McChrystal “should go” and is “fatally impaired in his effectiveness.” ...

“The Runaway General,” as Rolling Stone titled the article, has had embarrassing indiscretions before. McChrystal's staff showed a recklessness with the reporter that reflects a dangerous lack of discipline in a such a high-stakes operation. And the four-star general's swipe at Vice President Joe Biden — “Who’s that?” — is as impudent as it is insubordinate.

Outgoing House Appropriations Chairman David Obey (D-Wis.) said, “In recent history — which runs from General MacArthur, to General LeMay, to General McChrystal — we have seen a long list of reckless, renegade generals who haven’t seemed to understand that their role is to implement policy, not design [it].”

Even people around Washington who want McChrystal to stay made it clear in conversations with POLITICO that they will understand if he gets the boot.
    An ominous sign for McChrystal came in a joint statement by Sens. John McCain (R-Ariz.), Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) and Joseph Lieberman (I-Conn.): “The decision concerning General McChrystal’s future is a decision to be made by the President of the United States.”

So even those three hawks would give Obama a pass if he ushers McChrystal into retirement.

McChrystal may make the first move: The crisis of confidence could cause him to offer his resignation. McCaffrey said McChrystal should bring the letter to the White House with him. ...
    Last edited by BARYE; 06/22/2010 at 04:29 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    He just resigned.
    joins the ranks of other generals to put foot in mouth before "fading away".
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Although I agree with, or am not surprised by, what he had to say, yeah, he should have known better.
  5.    #5  
    it may have been necessary and appropriate -- but regrettable nonetheless.

For all his documented faults (the Tillman scandal above all), I fear McChrystal may well have been the one irreplaceable man if there is to be any hope for success in the catastrophic war that junior left us.
    Yeah the office of the President is a position which should be showed respect, especially by a General of all people. Personal and political battles aside.

It was very un-patriotic. (Although I expect some to call it a form of treason since all other manor of exaggeration has been implored these last few years)
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    And here's the full article for those who want a read:
    The Runaway General | Rolling Stone Politics

Quite engaging.
    HP Touchpad: I just cant quit you, baby.
    No matter what any of you guys' political preferences are, it has to be looked at like this:

The "parents" should never let the "children" see them bickering with each other. They should show that they believe in each other in public whether they do or not.
    The "parents" have to show that they are united.
    Otherwise, the "children" will lose any respect they have for them.

You married w/children people know what i'm talking about.
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 06/22/2010 at 05:09 PM.
    Gotta think he knew his comments would be read by Obama, so my guess is he just wanted out of there. Probably hard listening to people you don't respect and who you think have no clue on how to run a war. He is in a position where I'm sure he feels compelled to do what is best for his men (and women) under his command, and if he can't properly protect them, probably didn't want to be in command of them. While I agree with most that he shouldn't have made his feelings known in public, just goes to show you that the current administration is a bunch of idiots on yet another issue. I respect McChrystal for not putting up with Obama's
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    joins the ranks of other generals to put foot in mouth before "fading away".
    Kinda like Wesley Clark.... only he did it multiple times *after* retiring.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    it may have been necessary and appropriate -- but regrettable nonetheless.

For all his documented faults (the Tillman scandal above all), I fear McChrystal may well have been the one irreplaceable man if there is to be any hope for success in the catastrophic war that junior left us.
    Don't you ever get tired of Bush bashing? I mean really - move on Barye
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Whether people agree with what he said should not matter here. You must respect the office of the president, even if you don't respect he who holds that office. Several of my military/ex-military friends and family have admitted difficulty showing respect for a commander in chief that never served. And yes, before the angry replies fly off the shelf, most did not consider GWB a "president who served".
    I agree the office of the President needs to be respected, I just wish someone will let the current President know the need to respect teh office as well ie; blasting America abroad, bowing to other leaders, golfing and entertaining weekly during one of teh worst disasters in history.

Whatever happened to the crowed that camped out in front of the WH, Bush's ranch, interrupted hearings, etc.....I guess they went on vacation or forgot how to protest.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    He just resigned.
    your WH sources are clearly better than either mine or The New York Times' -- the most current info is that his "Fate is in Limbo ..."

He cannot resign until the Prez accepts it -- and Obama could instead decide to simply fire him.
    BS...the office deserves no respect that isn't earned. The president is not an elected king.
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Wilder
    Our "founding parents" were pompous, white, middle-aged farmers, but they were also great men. Because they knew one thing that all great men should know: that they didn't know everything. Sure, they'd make mistakes, but they made sure to leave a way to correct them. The president is not an "elected king," no matter how many bombs he can drop. Because the "crude" Constitution doesn't trust him. He's just a bum, okay Mr. Pitkannan? He's just a bum.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    BS...the office deserves no respect that isn't earned. The president is not an elected king.
    You obviously have no idea how the military works. In the military, it is strictly forbidden to disobey or disparage your commanding officer, and the president, aka, the "Commander In Chief" is his commanding officer. The military is not the place for personal politics.
    "Brace yourself, you beautiful *****. I am about to **** you up with some truth!" - Kenny Powers

"I don't mind paying taxes. With taxes, I purchase civilization."
    - H.L. Mencken
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    Gotta think he knew his comments would be read by Obama, so my guess is he just wanted out of there. Probably hard listening to people you don't respect and who you think have no clue on how to run a war. He is in a position where I'm sure he feels compelled to do what is best for his men (and women) under his command, and if he can't properly protect them, probably didn't want to be in command of them. While I agree with most that he shouldn't have made his feelings known in public, just goes to show you that the current administration is a bunch of idiots on yet another issue. I respect McChrystal for not putting up with Obama's
    Would you still respect him if this happened during Bush's term? Or if there was another republican in office?
    "Brace yourself, you beautiful *****. I am about to **** you up with some truth!" - Kenny Powers

- H.L. Mencken
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Don't you ever get tired of Bush bashing? I mean really - move on Barye
    Do you ever get tired of Obama bashing? Those in glass houses...

Have you ever seen the home improvement TV show "Holmes On Homes?" It is about a contractor that comes in and takes over for other contractors. Now when he takes over a basement remodel, do the screw-ups and out of code work from the previous contractors instantly become Holmes' fault as soon as he takes over the job? NO!

- H.L. Mencken
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Agreed, Obama must earn his respect and at the rate he's going he won't earn much, he's failed on anything big, and actually lied to congress (when someone mentioned that he was told to apologise), not to mention he bad mouthed on officer without knowing the facts of the case ( needed a beer sumit to fix that). the guy is a waste of space, we need a new president ASAP.

I voted for Obama, I will never make that mistake again.
    anyone read the why behind the article? How about you clem? He was drinking the entire day of the interview on a bus to berlin during the volcano... He got drunk and ****ed on his boss... Spin it how ever partisan you will... Lame. Coulda happened to anyone I suppose, but go ahead and make it some "deep" thing, like you have any idea what your talking about....

I guess some are just totally clueless as to how the military actually works, dosent surprise me.

the commander in chief is the head of all the armed forces, that means he earned his "respect" from the military with a winning electoral college vote. That's how it works. Disagree? Move somewhere else, cause its enshrined in the constitution.
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 06/23/2010 at 03:29 AM.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast