Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    OK, so I hope I dont get trashed for what I am about to say, but it is JUST a commentary, from my opinion, and I am putting it on the Off Topic Forum.

However it really is about something on the Off Topic Forum, so you could say it was an on topic FOR Off Topic.

This is basically a question for RPFTW, and perhaps the rest of the community here to ponder.

While I completely understand the purpose for an Off Topic forum, within a forum dedicated to a community of sharing informatioin about the Palm Pre, I dont understand why this member RPFTW, ONLY posts his personal and political agenda here. He never contributes or shares or engages about the Palm Pre, yet almost daily has some anti government, or anti Obama, or some other anti something post, that draws attention and discussion.

I just dont understand why someone would choose a forum basically dedicated to sharing of a technical device, to park himself on a regular basis, when its fairly clear he has no interest IN that device, but only his politics?

Im sure there are zillions of internet forums for debating politics, where that is the main focus, but why even be a member of this forum, only to post Off Topic controversies?

Just wondering, not flaming, not trying to stir stuff up, just curious.
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    OK, so I hope I dont get trashed for what I am about to say, but it is JUST a commentary, from my opinion, and I am putting it on the Off Topic Forum.

However it really is about something on the Off Topic Forum, so you could say it was an on topic FOR Off Topic.

This is basically a question for RPFTW, and perhaps the rest of the community here to ponder.

While I completely understand the purpose for an Off Topic forum, within a forum dedicated to a community of sharing informatioin about the Palm Pre, I dont understand why this member RPFTW, ONLY posts his personal and political agenda here. He never contributes or shares or engages about the Palm Pre, yet almost daily has some anti government, or anti Obama, or some other anti something post, that draws attention and discussion.

I just dont understand why someone would choose a forum basically dedicated to sharing of a technical device, to park himself on a regular basis, when its fairly clear he has no interest IN that device, but only his politics?

Im sure there are zillions of internet forums for debating politics, where that is the main focus, but why even be a member of this forum, only to post Off Topic controversies?

Just wondering, not flaming, not trying to stir stuff up, just curious.
    Diane, it's been my observation that the "anti-everything, conspiracy theory" person gravitates towards a forum or medium with as little regulation as possible (off topic?). this allows them free reign to post, profess, proclaim, etc. with near impunity...which adds to the entertainment. As a championship-caliber people watcher, I consider this kind of entertainment equivalent to a really good sitcom. And sometimes they do stumble across something I find very interesting, which is another reason I continue to watch.
    I'm in agreeeance Diane, if a user has nothing to contribute towards the pre experience then I don't see why they should be posting and clogging up the forums on this sit. Much of what is posted in off-topic is misreported or mis represented.
    I'm starting to question whether said user even owns a webOS device.
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    I'm in agreeeance Diane, if a user has nothing to contribute towards the pre experience then I don't see why they should be posting and clogging up the forums on this sit. Much of what is posted in off-topic is misreported or mis represented.
    I'm starting to question whether said user even owns a webOS device.
    I've been wondering about that too. Does that guy even have a WebOS device? Or does he post here because he expects people to be less knowledgeable about politics?

If he really wanted to talk seriously about politics, he would be posting on a different website.
    Quote Originally Posted by tcrunner View Post
    Apply that to the entire org here from top to bottom and you might get a lot of support. Singling out only one of many who act in an identical way is a very narrow view.
    but, no other poster comes close to this guy. Completely in his own league, and quite annoying.
    In fairness, a cursory review of the first few pages of Off Topic threads tells a different story.
    I was wondering if you could be correct.

not including this page, but on the next 3 pages I checked, one quarter of the threads listed originated from that single poster (I have displayed 40 threads per page)

That is well out of proportion to anyone else
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    he posts at least one new thread per day. Only a few posts have EVER related to a phone. We need to start a petition...
    Any single poster possibly. Do you really think that there is no other agenda to incite, if such a laughable term is to be considered, coming from others, including "leadership" on a consistent basis?
    I don't understand your point

BTW -- I've edited the post that you've quoted so as to be more precise
    Last edited by BARYE; 06/19/2010 at 12:36 PM.
  9.    #10  
    I have been kindly and politely asked to close this thread, as it could possibly lead to a flurry of singling out individual posters which is not what this forum is about.

Again I only posted this, in the hope of maybe the person it was about, would reply, and offer some reasonable explaination.

But apparantly that is not going to happen.

So, thank you all for your input, it is somewhat encouraging to see my feelings are not totally isolated.

(now if I could only figure out how to close it )
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Of course that guy won't defend himself... lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Of course that guy won't defend himself... lol
    I just ignore his posts.....can't say the last one I looked at. They never seemed to make much sense to me. Then, when he PM'd me with some crazy video I just decided to stay away from the dude.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    I just ignore his posts.....can't say the last one I looked at. They never seemed to make much sense to me. Then, when he PM'd me with some crazy video I just decided to stay away from the dude.
    LOL! Creepy, but not surprising...
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    I find that most people post politics for the simple reason of "validation", positive or negative. If you dont agree your an "*****", which in the posters minds confirms his beliefs thus making him/her feel superior. If you agree you are "enlightened" again confirming the posters beliefs.
    Apply that to the entire org here from top to bottom and you might get a lot of support. Singling out only one of many who act in an identical way is a very narrow view.
    My first part of the post was meant to be generalised to all the users that have a similar posting MO on this site.
    However the second part was a specific question to said user.

Personally I would like the Moderators to take a more active role in monitoring the off-topic discussion. And if a users post are disproportionately weighted towards off-topic posts with no relevance to webOS, then I feel that a polite word from a moderator to ask the user to either 'calm it down' or take his discussion to a more appropriate forum would be good. Just my suggestion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Balzak View Post
    I find that most people post politics for the simple reason of "validation", positive or negative. If you dont agree your an "*****", which in the posters minds confirms his beliefs thus making him/her feel superior. If you agree you are "enlightened" again confirming the posters beliefs.
    No one is compelled to read threads, or even visit OT.

The open exchange of opinions and ideas on a wide variety of topics that is OT, has always been a valued part of the greater forum. It traditionally allowed an opportunity for unlike minded folk (even of unlike species) to debate and vent on topics that they had strong views on -- while simultaneously having the chance to hear from others who through the random serendipity of sharing a common geeky interest in cell phones, had been brought here.

Participants traditionally came without a preconceived agenda -- they were attracted by accident to the debate -- and the idiosyncratic unexpected makeup of the forum gave it a special flavor that made it more valuable than a simply politically oriented site.

In the past folks of very widely divergent opinions could be on one thread saying the most hateful terrible things about the other's views, while on another be engaged in the most friendly, teasing, and ironic interplay.

But the dynamic of the forum is a little like Kudzu -- a little in the garden was nice -- when it takes over a forest its destructive of the ecosystem.
    Last edited by BARYE; 06/19/2010 at 01:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    I have been kindly and politely asked to close this thread, as it could possibly lead to a flurry of singling out individual posters which is not what this forum is about.
    I'm sorry to hear that. That specific person is abusing this forum and needs to be called on it. The mods should be getting after him, not you. It isn't a flurry of posters, it's one that should have been stopped long ago, in my opinion.

Kudos to you. Double-fail to whoever thinks it's ok for RPFTW to post such nonsense, but it's not ok for you to have an opinion about that... So go back to your OP and change it to say "Obama" or "Bush" or "**** Cheney" and then this entire thread will be just fine, apparently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that. That specific person is abusing this forum and needs to be called on it. The mods should be getting after him, not you.

Kudos to you. Double-fail to whoever thinks it's ok for RPFTW to post such nonsense, but it's not ok for you to have an opinion about that... So go back to your OP and change it to say "Obama" or "Bush" or "**** Cheney" and then this entire thread will be just fine, apparently.
    I completely agree.

I wonder who was the one who asked for this thread to be closed. Hmm. Who could it be...? lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I completely agree.

I wonder who was the one who asked for this thread to be closed. Hmm. Who could it be...? lol
    I would like to know, because this doesn't pass the "common sense" test. This guy has created 112 threads. Only a couple of them have anything to do with mobile phones of any kind.

If they want to defend that and not allow criticism, how do I delete my account? They can keep RPFTW, and lose members who have common sense.

seriously. and i'm sure I'll get a PM warning for saying it, too.
    Understood. Allow me to point out that the same Moderators you are looking to for controlling content are also directly responsible for hyperbolic political threads and exchanges in Off Topic. There does not appear to be a truly impartial party involved in Off Topic.
    You have missed where I said ' disproportionate ". I don't mind an odd off-topic thread every so often and will sometimes contribute myself if interested enough. But when a user has no intention of discussing webOS related topics then they should not be using this forum.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast