Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    I would like to know, because this doesn't pass the "common sense" test. This guy has created 112 threads. Only a couple of them have anything to do with mobile phones of any kind.

If they want to defend that and not allow criticism, how do I delete my account? They can keep RPFTW, and lose members who have common sense.

seriously. and i'm sure I'll get a PM warning for saying it, too.
    It doesn't make sense to me either...

If someone was trying to seriously debate political issues, why use a cellphone website as your podium? That's why I can't take him seriously... It almost seems like he is a joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by tcrunner View Post
    Understood. Allow me to point out that the same Moderators you are looking to for controlling content are also directly responsible for hyperbolic political threads and exchanges in Off Topic. There does not appear to be a truly impartial party involved in Off Topic.
    I have no issue with anyone (moderator or otherwise) from creating a controversial thread once in a while. The subject of this thread does it at least once per day by just lobbing it in without adding any value. That is the sum total of his activity. He contributes north to the trolling he crates, and nothing to the forum relative to phones or technology. He could be 20% contoversial and be fine. He is 99% controversial. How would a Mod think that's ok, and defend that while criticizing someone (helen) who provides such help and leadership?

how do I cancel my membership?
    Understood. Allow me to point out that the same Moderators you are looking to for controlling content are also directly responsible for hyperbolic political threads and exchanges in Off Topic. There does not appear to be a truly impartial party involved in Off Topic.
    You are misconstruing the primary point that most folks are I think unhappy about. The posting of hyperbolic threads to which I disagree by moderators or anyone else is much of what the forum is all about -- an opportunity to disagree, to provide counter arguments, and to poke fun at the silliness of your debate partners.

Traditionally both right and left who played here understood that they needed one another to have the debates that they both enjoyed -- and they respected and liked each other accordingly.

The primary problem in regards to the poster for which you are the "spokesman", is the disproportionate number of threads that they originate.

(you and him aren't the same, are you btw ?)
    Last edited by BARYE; 06/19/2010 at 02:40 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    @barye you are spot on. The person in question fits any reasonable definition of 'trolling' but is somehow able to do that stuff even as we aren't supposed to offer our opinions on it. Does anyone see anything wrong with this picture?

you don't see him posting at androidcentral.com

wanna bet he tried it over there and they stopped that nonsense?
    @barye you are spot on. The person in question fits any reasonable definition of 'trolling' but is somehow able to do that stuff even as we aren't supposed to offer our opinions on it. Does anyone see anything wrong with this picture?

you don't see him posting at androidcentral.com

wanna bet he tried and they stopped that nonsens?
    The sad thing is that this thread is probably going to be closed...
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    The sad thing is that this thread is probably going to be closed...
    but not the threads that we are complaining about...

ironic that this thread was harmless until an over-ambitious mod decided this 'might' become a problem. And i'm sure they will blame helen for that, too.
    but not the threads that we are complaining about...

ironic that this thread was harmless until an over-ambitious mod decided this 'might' become a problem. And i'm sure they will blame helen for that, too.
    I don't think it was a Mod who requested the thread be closed. If a Mod wanted it closed, they would have closed it themself.
    lets try this:

This is basically a question for GEORGE BUSH, and perhaps the rest of the community here to ponder.

While I completely understand the purpose for an Off Topic forum, within a forum dedicated to a community of sharing informatioin about the Palm Pre, I dont understand why **** CHENEY ONLY posts his personal and political agenda here. He never contributes or shares or engages about the Palm Pre, yet almost daily has some anti government, or anti Obama, or some other anti something post, that draws attention and discussion.

I just dont understand why SARAH PALIN would choose a forum basically dedicated to sharing of a technical device, to park himself on a regular basis, when its fairly clear (S)he has no interest IN that device...

is that better?
    Much better lol

Now this thread can't be closed
    @tcrunner,

no mod would be getting away with what (GEORGE BUSH) is getting away with. I don't know what 'the number' should be, but certainly less than the current 99% that is so annoying.

how could you possibly be defending him?
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post

...The primary problem in regards to the poster for which you are the "spokesman", is the disproportionate number of threads that they originate.

(you and him aren't the same, are you btw ?)

No. How many differing logins have you been a part of, or have knowledge of, where the abuse of Off Topic is concerned? (Nevermind. You just answered that question adequately enough for discussion purposes)
    perhaps you deserve an explanation for my curiosity --

you joined the forum only a few weeks ago (earlier this month), and it looks as though you've joined only to post in OT.

Also since the subject of the OP has not taken part in this discussion, while you, a new user, has acted as their "spokesman" ... I just was wondering ...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    perhaps you deserve an explanation for my curiosity --

you joined the forum only a few weeks ago (earlier this month), and it looks as though you've joined only to post in OT.

Also since the subject of the OP has not taken part in this discussion, while you, a new user, has acted as their "spokesman" ... I just was wondering ...
    there is a HUGE difference between posting something controversial to a thread and creating a new thread every day, and then just watching the show passivle without contributing anything other than a thread title and a URL.

hopefully you can see that for what it is, and not as a double standard.
    remember, this is a private business, not the city square. the only 'rights' are whatever the owners put in the Terms of Use agreement we accept when we sign up.

here is my suggestion:

currently you can't post a link until you have 10 posts. perhaps new members could be restricted from creating an Or thread until they have 10 or 15 posts?
    You're not doing the math, though "math" is your primary argument against RPFTW. Another double-standard? I would hope not.
    We aren't talking about specific people. We're talking about a certain type of person (so the thread doesn't get shut down lol)
    You're not doing the math, though "math" is your primary argument against RPFTW. Another double-standard? I would hope not.
    I am absolutely doing the math:

total threads created since joining in Sep 2009: 112
    OT threads out of 112 total created: 105

105/112 = 94% OT trolling.

Show me anyone within half of that ratio in OT/Pre thread creation. Any more math I can help you with?
    No. We're talking about equal treatment under the same set of rules. Singling out one on the grounds being used opens the floodgates whether you like it or not.

Seems reasonable, though it does not address the uinderlying problem of unequal treatment under the existing rules.
    We are not singling any person out, we are singling those out who post disproportionately in the off-topic forum and contribute nothing towards webos talk.
    Why do you not understand that?
    Only working one side of the equation, eh? I'm disappointed. Especially since we're not talking about specific persons.
    That is the entire equation. Trolling divided by total created. It's your job to find another that is even remotely close. I backed up my position, now it is your turn.

FWIW, I can see why someone would assume you are also [George Bush] based on the fact that you have not made a single post other than Off Topic threads... and you somehow think that [Sarah Palin's] baiting threads are no different than what active mods post as a small percent of their total contributions (and don't forget to count what they do over at TreoCentral when you do your research...)
    No. We're talking about equal treatment under the same set of rules. Singling out one on the grounds being used opens the floodgates whether you like it or not.

Seems reasonable, though it does not address the uinderlying problem of unequal treatment under the existing rules.
    Quote from terms of use for PreCentral forums:

# Trolling - Do not engage in repeated attempts to start arguments, harass users, or draw users into a fight just for the sake of it....

Any reasonable person can see that [the CEO of BP] is doing exactly that...

And preventing the creation of OT threads until a minimum number of posts are made would be totally "equal" as it would apply to all users, just as the current 10 posts before being able to post a URL. Of course the Mods have already passed those levels, or they probably wouldn't be mods...

I totally disagree with your position on this, but I have to give you credit that this thread has stayed on topic about [STEVE JOBS] thread creation. Kudos.
    It's exactly this type of "my job" VS "your job" which is at the heart of the problem. Fair treatment has no "team". Either side with it or do not. You've apparently made your choice which is quite disappointing.

Serving as an apologist for Mods who abuse the same rules you and I are obliged to obey paints you into an uncomfortable corner by your own hand. You need no help from me.

I'm not concerned in the least with who you think I am.
    Please post links here if specific entries you think demonstrate a Mod breaking a "rule" and also post a link to the "rule".

And am happy to know I've disappointed you. I do that to my family and friends all the time. Get in line.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast