Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 55
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by andidendel View Post
    [IMG]

    Hey, anything goes in Off Topic.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    Yes.....watching a bunch of people run up and down a field with little scoring while there is an annoying buzzzzing noise in the background is exciting (yawn). I mean, if you do watch a soccer game you can't leave your seat because you might miss the one score that might occur. Gotta have scoring. It's all over ESPN because they sunk a ton of money into it. If the US plays in the championship game (is there even a final game?) I will watch the highlights for sure (you know, someone kicking from the corner of the field).

    Golf is more of a sport than auto racing....good grief....how is auto racing a sport? Now, if you pushed the cars around the track, that would be a sport.
    Hmmm, I dont remember mentioning racing. Interesting how you use another unimportant event to try to justify the other unimportant even...Golf. And speaking of low scores and no action...baseball!

    Nevermind what you or I think about Soccer...its the MOST popular sport in the world, AND the most popular thing going on now.

    Refute that...

    Quote Originally Posted by bsburnham View Post
    There is actually quite a bit of skill and strategy to soccer. You do run a lot, and 90 mins of running is damn tiring, but the core of soccer is communication. If you don't have excellent communication with your teammates, you'll miss that pass that looks so easy on TV.

    I'm OK with low scoring games, the lower the scores usually means the better teams are playing (unless the other gets manhandled)
    Soccer is for those of us who has an attention span longer than 30 seconds, which is obviously the majority of this world! I am glad that USA at least tied it.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Hey, anything goes in Off Topic.
    ...and THAT's why I love pre | central!
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Hmmm, I dont remember mentioning racing. Interesting how you use another unimportant event to try to justify the other unimportant even...Golf. And speaking of low scores and no action...baseball!

    Nevermind what you or I think about Soccer...its the MOST popular sport in the world, AND the most popular thing going on now.

    Refute that....
    Oh I agree that you didn't mention racing, I was just throwing out an example of an activity that in my opinion shouldn't be classified as a sport. At least in golf you do get exercise if you walk the course (which they do in tournaments, which is what I was discussing when I mentioned the US Open) and many golfers these days have gotten in better shape. Oh sure, you're going to have your John Daly types who are not in very good shape, but that likely explains why he really didn't hang around at the top very long (or maybe it was his drinking, or his possible drug use, or who knows?)....which is a shame because he did have the talent to have been a great golfer.

    You apparently haven't watched college baseball lately. In Clemson's second game against Bama we won 19-5. How is that for scoring? In the 3rd game, we were up 8-1 in the bottom of the 9th with Bama batting and 2 outs and the next thing you know, it was 8-6 and 2 men on board and the winning run at home plate! I think that was pretty exciting....although....I thought I was going to get sick from my team possibly blowing a "safe" 8-1 lead!

    I know very few people hoovering around their TV or computer watching the game today. It may be the most popular sport in the world.....but.....I would argue it isn't where I live....in the good ole US of A! It is odd....tons of kids play it and then they grow up and lose interest in it. I can't explain that other than it is simply boring? Or maybe they hate that annoying buzzzzzzzz sound?
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

    "It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

    "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    I know very few people hoovering around their TV or computer watching the game today. It may be the most popular sport in the world.....but.....I would argue it isn't where I live....in the good ole US of A!
    I work for a global company [yep, we hold the patent on the packaging for most of the world's shelf-stable milk, juice boxes, etc.] and watching FIFA is about ALL we're doing until mid-July.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    Oh I agree that you didn't mention racing, I was just throwing out an example of an activity that in my opinion shouldn't be classified as a sport. At least in golf you do get exercise if you walk the course (which they do in tournaments, which is what I was discussing when I mentioned the US Open) and many golfers these days have gotten in better shape. Oh sure, you're going to have your John Daly types who are not in very good shape, but that likely explains why he really didn't hang around at the top very long (or maybe it was his drinking, or his possible drug use, or who knows?)....which is a shame because he did have the talent to have been a great golfer.

    You apparently haven't watched college baseball lately. In Clemson's second game against Bama we won 19-5. How is that for scoring? In the 3rd game, we were up 8-1 in the bottom of the 9th with Bama batting and 2 outs and the next thing you know, it was 8-6 and 2 men on board and the winning run at home plate! I think that was pretty exciting....although....I thought I was going to get sick from my team possibly blowing a "safe" 8-1 lead!

    I know very few people hoovering around their TV or computer watching the game today. It may be the most popular sport in the world.....but.....I would argue it isn't where I live....in the good ole US of A! It is odd....tons of kids play it and then they grow up and lose interest in it. I can't explain that other than it is simply boring? Or maybe they hate that annoying buzzzzzzzz sound?
    Racing is more of a sport than golf. They are in a more physically-demanding environment than walking from hole to hole. And it has more of a team element than Golf (spotters, crews, etc). But its funny how many more people watch NASCAR than Golf.

    But lets get to the point...We're arguing popularity, and whats popular to you or me may not be the overall popular 'event' today. We can get hardcore ratings data to find out that more people are joining me in watching soccer than joining you in watching college baseball. BTW, the USA v Slovenia game was exciting, despite the 'low' 2-2 score. There is more up and down movement (similar to hockey) than a high-scoring baseball game. And that is what people find exciting about soccer...the near misses, the fouls, the footwork, the head-butting, etc. Dont knock a sport/event because you dont find it appealing. I like certain elements about baseball, and would watch it if my school was playing. Many Americans are watching soccer because THEIR team is playing. So why all of the beef?

    Oh, when you say that you know of very little people watching soccer, I think that speaks more to your knowledge and less of soccer's popularity.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
  7. srswarley's Avatar
    Posts
    43 Posts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    #27  
    I used to play all types of ball. Baseball, soccer, basketball, football.. and I think all have their redeeming qualities.

    Here in America... football is one sport you don't mess with. You get in front of Americans and their Sunday games (for me it's Sat. college games, Go Gators!) you better watch out for beer bottles and towel whippings!

    However baseball is America's past time and I enjoyed playing and watching it, but for me soccer was much more of a challenge (both mentally and physically) so I enjoy watching the sport more.

    Futbol is a world dominating sport, and I'm glad there is a world wide event just for it!
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by andidendel View Post
    "Off-topic threads....One disaster after another."

    Now that's funny
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Racing is more of a sport than golf. They are in a more physically-demanding environment than walking from hole to hole. And it has more of a team element than Golf (spotters, crews, etc). But its funny how many more people watch NASCAR than Golf.
    Yup....and funny how many more people watch football (and yes, I do mean real American football), baseball, basketball, and for some reason, hockey, in America vs soccer. Do they even have soccer on TV other than World Cup time? I would even guess more Americans watch golf than soccer in normal, non-World Cup, weekends.....oh....and yes, even NASCAR (another mystery to me). I would be curious how March Madness, or even the College Bowl Championship or the Super Bowl match up vs the World Cup in viewers in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    But lets get to the point...We're arguing popularity, and whats popular to you or me may not be the overall popular 'event' today. We can get hardcore ratings data to find out that more people are joining me in watching soccer than joining you in watching college baseball. BTW, the USA v Slovenia game was exciting, despite the 'low' 2-2 score. There is more up and down movement (similar to hockey) than a high-scoring baseball game. And that is what people find exciting about soccer...the near misses, the fouls, the footwork, the head-butting, etc. Dont knock a sport/event because you dont find it appealing. I like certain elements about baseball, and would watch it if my school was playing. Many Americans are watching soccer because THEIR team is playing. So why all of the beef?

    Oh, when you say that you know of very little people watching soccer, I think that speaks more to your knowledge and less of soccer's popularity.
    No beef.....I think the statement was that everyone was watching the soccer game, and I simply don't know (me personally) many that care. I had this conversation with a co-worker yesterday and there was one guy in the office that had any interest (out of about 10 guys). There was a British couple that came by that had their British flags flying from their car....but....would expect that.

    Actually....on a side note....I think there are 2 or 3 players on the American team that played on the Clemson soccer team....but couldn't tell you their names. Seems like I saw something in the paper about it. When I was in HS, soccer was started during my senior year (1981), so just never was around it. I have no problem with people watching the World Cup, but I am simply amused when the few soccer fans around think that everyone is watching or care. Oh....and go USA! Wow....is that now 2 ties? Couldn't they make it more exciting by having some type of OT? Let's get a darn winner....this is big boy sports....we don't need no stinkin' tie, do we?
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

    "It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

    "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by bsburnham View Post
    I used to play all types of ball. Baseball, soccer, basketball, football.. and I think all have their redeeming qualities.

    Here in America... football is one sport you don't mess with. You get in front of Americans and their Sunday games (for me it's Sat. college games, Go Gators!) you better watch out for beer bottles and towel whippings!

    However baseball is America's past time and I enjoyed playing and watching it, but for me soccer was much more of a challenge (both mentally and physically) so I enjoy watching the sport more.

    Futbol is a world dominating sport, and I'm glad there is a world wide event just for it!
    Ohhh....now soccer is the thinking man's sport. Let's see....dribble the ball down the field....pass it around (don't forget to "communicate", which you don't do in other sports?)....and try and kick (or head) the crap out of the ball past the goalie. I think I got it.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

    "It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

    "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    It is odd....tons of kids play it and then they grow up and lose interest in it. I can't explain that other than it is simply boring?
    Theory

    Soccer is fun for little kids because ANYONE can play it at ANY age (notice I didn't say "play it well", but anyone can play with zero practice or training). The reason most people abandon soccer is because as they age and mature, more interesting and exciting sports become available, such as football, baseball, golf, etc. My 4 year old can join a soccer team today and play any position. However (as he gets older) he cannot join a football team and play left tackle or join a baseball team and pitch, just not possible without dedicated training and practice. My 17yo tried out for football and basketball at his high school but lacked talent and athleticism as a freshman and was cut each time. So he tried soccer and has played 3 years in a row, go figure, he's like a little kid again
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Racing is more of a sport than golf. They are in a more physically-demanding environment than walking from hole to hole. And it has more of a team element than Golf (spotters, crews, etc). But its funny how many more people watch NASCAR than Golf.
    Explain the 4 hour, never ending, mind numbing left turn in Nascar. For that reason alone I can't bear to watch anything but the wrecks on ESPN news.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by joshaccount View Post
    Theory

    Soccer is fun for little kids because ANYONE can play it at ANY age (notice I didn't say "play it well", but anyone can play with zero practice or training). The reason most people abandon soccer is because as they age and mature, more interesting and exciting sports become available, such as football, baseball, golf, etc. My 4 year old can join a soccer team today and play any position. However (as he gets older) he cannot join a football team and play left tackle or join a baseball team and pitch, just not possible without dedicated training and practice. My 17yo tried out for football and basketball at his high school but lacked talent and athleticism as a freshman and was cut each time. So he tried soccer and has played 3 years in a row, go figure, he's like a little kid again
    Makes sense.....my step-son played soccer in high school as well, on a very good team. While I supported him and went to the games, I don't miss going to them.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

    "It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

    "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    Yup....and funny how many more people watch football (and yes, I do mean real American football), baseball, basketball, and for some reason, hockey, in America vs soccer. Do they even have soccer on TV other than World Cup time? I would even guess more Americans watch golf than soccer in normal, non-World Cup, weekends.....oh....and yes, even NASCAR (another mystery to me). I would be curious how March Madness, or even the College Bowl Championship or the Super Bowl match up vs the World Cup in viewers in the US?



    No beef.....I think the statement was that everyone was watching the soccer game, and I simply don't know (me personally) many that care. I had this conversation with a co-worker yesterday and there was one guy in the office that had any interest (out of about 10 guys). There was a British couple that came by that had their British flags flying from their car....but....would expect that.

    Actually....on a side note....I think there are 2 or 3 players on the American team that played on the Clemson soccer team....but couldn't tell you their names. Seems like I saw something in the paper about it. When I was in HS, soccer was started during my senior year (1981), so just never was around it. I have no problem with people watching the World Cup, but I am simply amused when the few soccer fans around think that everyone is watching or care. Oh....and go USA! Wow....is that now 2 ties? Couldn't they make it more exciting by having some type of OT? Let's get a darn winner....this is big boy sports....we don't need no stinkin' tie, do we?
    Yes, my original post postured that the majority of the world (not just USA) was preoccupied with the World Cup. And that still stands. But I will concede that most Americans may not be watching the World Cup....in your area. LOL! I would also like to see the amount of viewers for the SuperBowl/March Madness/etc vs the World Cup...but I doubt the World Cup would lose any of those matchups. Only the Olympics would compete.

    Yes, that is two ties. I have always disliked draws. Lets hope that they can get a win vs Algeria.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Yes, that is two ties. I have always disliked draws. Lets hope that they can get a win vs Algeria.
    Al who?

    Edit: The democrats here in SC are a little gun shy of anyone named "Al" lately.
    Last edited by clemgrad85; 06/18/2010 at 01:50 PM.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

    "It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

    "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
  16. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    Ohhh....now soccer is the thinking man's sport. Let's see....dribble the ball down the field....pass it around (don't forget to "communicate", which you don't do in other sports?)....and try and kick (or head) the crap out of the ball past the goalie. I think I got it.
    It's the suspense of the game, clem, as everyone knows. Take the premiere league, for example. Who gets the championship will be anyone's guess. Will it be MU or Chelsea? Or MU? Hey, let's through in Arsenal to mix it up once every decade.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by tcrunner View Post
    Are you going to explain about the One World government theory revolving around Soccer you were previously talking about in the World Cup and Wingnuts thread?
    No.....avoiding politics today if I can. But...oops....you almost got me....but not going there today. Let's all hold hands though and rock back and forth together, okay?
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

    "It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

    "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
  18. srswarley's Avatar
    Posts
    43 Posts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    Ohhh....now soccer is the thinking man's sport. Let's see....dribble the ball down the field....pass it around (don't forget to "communicate", which you don't do in other sports?)....and try and kick (or head) the crap out of the ball past the goalie. I think I got it.
    Of course communication is key in all team sports. I was just emphasizing that it may not look like it to the untrained eye, but there's a lot of communication going on rather than just running around. And of course there are other sports that require more thinking? than soccer, but I doubt they are as physically demanding.

    Don't underestimate how tough soccer is. You try running for 70 mins (you need a few mins to rest out of the 90+ min game) and kicking a ball around (roughly 65-90 mph) and all the while reading the defensive players and judge how quickly/precisely they will react to make your next move. Then once you get past the players (who run as fast or faster than you, so you will have to make the right movements at the right time) and get to the goal, you now have to plan your final strike kick based on wind speed/direction, the terrain condition, and where the goalie is in the goal (you have to judge the goalies reaction time/precision as well) based on your own field position in front of the goal. Not to mention that you have to keep in mind where your teammates are running to/from and where the defensive players (who usually would have caught up to you) are so you can make the best offensive play given the scenario.

    I did for 10 years.. it's no easy task.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    Ohhh....now soccer is the thinking man's sport. Let's see....dribble the ball down the field....pass it around (don't forget to "communicate", which you don't do in other sports?)....and try and kick (or head) the crap out of the ball past the goalie. I think I got it.
    Spoken like a man who has never played soccer before...

    So baseball is just swinging a stick at a ball?
    "Brace yourself, you beautiful *****. I am about to **** you up with some truth!" - Kenny Powers

    "I don't mind paying taxes. With taxes, I purchase civilization."
    - H.L. Mencken
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by bsburnham View Post
    Don't underestimate how tough soccer is. You try running for 70 mins (you need a few mins to rest out of the 90+ min game) and kicking a ball around (roughly 65-90 mph) and all the while reading the defensive players and judge how quickly/precisely they will react to make your next move.
    I swam 2.4 miles in an open water swim a couple of weekends ago....won my age division (old)....so I think I could handle it. Granted, it didn't involve a whole lot of thinking, but them thar currents can be tricky!
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

    "It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

    "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions