1.    #1  
    I'm starting law school in late August.

I currently have a 17" laptop which I was essentially using as my home desktop. It's feature rich but incredibly heavy and completely impractical for classroom use. I plan to hook this beast up to my TV as an infotainment center, especially since I'm not getting cable tv.

I'm looking to pick up an ultraportable laptop. Screen 11"-14". Has a solid state drive. Good - great battery life. Multi-tasks well (I don't want it to slow to a crawl if I have Nexis Lexis and MS Word and MS Excel open at the same time). As far as costs go I'd like to keep it under 2k.

I was hoping that some of my friends in the webOS community might advise me on excellent ultraportable laptops.

I appreciate any advice you can throw my way.
    Last edited by runukraine; 06/15/2010 at 01:35 PM.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    If all you want to do is take notes while in class and browse the web, then why not look into the Macbook Air.

Macs have amazing battery life so you can't go wrong there, unless you buy a 12cell battery with a pc, which then adds bulk and weight.

I personally run with a Thinkpad T61p. But I'm also in the visualization field and it's a great on the go PC to have because it can handle a lot of things I would want to show people. But because of the visualization power it has, I have to trade off for battery life.. which is poor
    Last edited by bsburnham; 06/15/2010 at 01:50 PM. Reason: add my own laptop
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    engadget just talked about it a few days ago. There's new toshiba satellites such as the t400 that are coming soon for $450. Might wait for a review but in general toshiba laptops are decent that can and will most likely last for two years. The build quality is sturdy and sometimes a you get what you pay for.

my own preferences are to stuck with asus. They tend to take greater care in creating their laptops. The ul series is nice for 700 to 1200, ultra thin, great batterlife and good quality laptop.

acer timelines are a popular budget alternative to asus. With a sacrifice for some style for the same specs and performance and good few hundred drop in price.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    OKZ
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for your thoughts.

I've been looking at the Asus ultralight series. They look like great laptops, but I don't think any of them have SSD. I'm just worried about the greater potential for a scratched hard disk in an ultralight notebook. I don't know if this is an unfounded worry or not.

I hadn't thought about the MacBook Air. I know Apple generally makes solid products, but I haven't used a Mac since the old PowerPC days. I don't know that I'd be comfortable switching back over at this point. I don't know that I'd want to have to buy all new licenses instead of transferring my old ones (Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, etc.) to my new computer.

I'm leaning towards the Asus line at this point. Anyone have any impressions of the Sony Z series or the Dell Adamo series?
  6.    #6  
    I ended up buying a Lenovo Thinkpad X201 customized with a 128 GB SSD.

Great price for Father's Day, added a 10% of coupon, getting 10% cashback through Bing Cashback and paid with my Fidelity American Express which puts 2% cashback into my IRA.

Not bad methinks. Well... I hope.