1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I don't know about the rest of you, however, I don't see Rupert Murdock ever getting, ALL NEWS SITES TO CHARGE FOR CONTENT. As long as there is FREE news content, aren't people just going to go elsewhere, for news content?

At a resent symposium about Internet news, Ariana Huffington addressed the group, just after Mr. Murdock and said something to the effect of:

Please go a head and charge for content Rupert, it will result in many more hits to her site, (which she insists will ALWAYS be free).

Twice the NY Times, has charged for content and twice it dropped it's fees. The NY Times app for the Ipad is not finished, (at least not to the liking of Apple). The NY Times, doesn't want to pour more $ into the project. This b/c, there are not enough readers willing, to pay for NY Times for content, on the Ipad, (not when they can get the same content FREE, on a smart phone, laptop or desktop computer). Apple is so upset with the Times, that it is no longer placing the NY Times app, in as prominent location, on it's Ipad app download pages.

I feel it is much to late in the game to start charging, if they tried this 15 years ago, perhaps it would have worked, but not now.

Another issue to keep in mind, the Wall St Journal, which is now owned by Mr. Murdock's News Corp, has approx 600,000 paid readers. The NY Times has, over 15 million individual readers a month. I see charging for content, is working out real well for the online Rupert & the Wall St Journal.

In all fairness, I should mention the fact that the NY Times, did announce last year, (that it will once again put in a pay structure, but will not reveal the program until 2011). They haven't discussed the issue publicly, since the Ipad app debacle.

It makes me wonder, if the Times will either drop the proposed, yet to be announced pay structure or modify it in anyway, (from what it originally planned).

How do the rest of you feel on this subject???

Take care, Jay

News Corp Continues Online Revenue Push
    By Gabriel Perna, Monday, June 14, 2010 4:39 PM EDT

News Corp Continues Online Revenue Push - International Business Times

News Corp. made another move towards making online journalism pay by acquiring Skiff LLC and a stake in Journalism Online LLC.

An e-reading platform, Skiff was previously a subsidiary of Hearst Corp. The Skiff platform can be used by publishers across a variety of electronic devices such as tablet computers and smartphones. Journalism Online is a venture started by former law writer Steven Brill helping digital journalism publishers collect revenue from their readers. The financial terms of both deals were not disclosed.

These deals signify Rupert Murdoch's News Corp.'s entrance into the e-reader game as well as getting revenue to e-publishers. All of News Corp.'s online publications require paid subscriptions. Skiff says its e-reading platform is friendlier to publishers becuase they get paid directly for the content and can advertise as well. Journalism Online's Press+TM e-commerce platform helps publishers fine-tune options for paid access to their sites.

"Today's developments underscore News Corporation's ongoing commitment to create strong business models that support journalism at a time of great change in our industry. Both Skiff and Journalism Online serve as key building blocks in our strategy to transform the publishing industry and ensure consumers will have continued access to the highest quality journalism," Jon Miller, Chief Digital Officer, News Corporation, said in a statement.

Heading up News Corp.'s digital journalism business will be strategic advisor Jon Housman.

Anna Hunt, Principal Market Analyst at IMS Research, said the move shows News Corp. understands that mobile platforms will be where the revenue comes from. She also said it is more likely News Corp. will sell content on the Skiff e-reading platform rather than attempt to create a specific e-reader device on its own.

"They might try and sell the platform solution to the publisher. That way publishers can sell an originally designed manufactured (ODM) magazine built into a device," Hunt said. "It would give News Corp. a unique solution and a competitive advantage to offer publishers. I don't think they are in the business of making and selling consumer electronics."
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I can't see any reason why I would pay for online news... most of it is rubbish anyway.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
    I can't see any reason why I would pay for online news... most of it is rubbish anyway.
    How true, take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group