Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well until the reviews come in anyway, we have to see how well it performs. But looking good so far!! Built in wifi, cooler, less noise(supposedly confirmed by Joystiq), swappable hard drive(although it may be proprietary, still not sure); about time MSFT!!

New Xbox 360 gets official at $299, shipping today, looks angular and ominous (video hands-on!) -- Engadget

Xbox 360 250GB first unboxing! -- Engadget
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I saw that story on Engadget. It really is impressive. They finally got it right.
    Still has that big powerbrick! I do like the look though. Looks like a miniature alienware computer.
    finally!!! I'm sure all those people who recently bought a 100$ wifi adapter are pretty ****ed lol. Looks very nice, how the 360 should have been from the start. I love the new look and the integration of everything else.
  5.    #5  
    $80-$100 for a wifi adapter certainly was a huge "bend over" by MSFT. That was the biggest reason I got the PS3, along with blu-ray. But you may be able to hook a blu-ray drive up to the USB on the new one. I'm not sure though, someone just suggested it's possible.

P.S. Hide the powerbrick behind your TV, lol! That's the least of the worries when it comes to Xbox 360.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    when my xbox dies, im getting it replaced and selling it

my ps3 has been awesome and my xbox has decided to freeze up 3 times recently
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
  7.    #7  
    A Kensington security feature is included(look at the chart). That's not bad!!

New Xbox 360 loses ability to flash a red ring, can still probably die a fiery death -- Engadget

i got one today i work at best buy and we had a shipment early for some weird reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    $80-$100 for a wifi adapter certainly was a huge "bend over" by MSFT. That was the biggest reason I got the PS3, along with blu-ray. But you may be able to hook a blu-ray drive up to the USB on the new one. I'm not sure though, someone just suggested it's possible.

P.S. Hide the powerbrick behind your TV, lol! That's the least of the worries when it comes to Xbox 360.
    Ms. Diva, my love -- its my understanding that the brick has become "smaller" and more efficient. We'll have to see ...

My biggest unrequited complaint (other than Ms. Diva's completely unjustified TROs) is the XBox's lack of a browser. Its friggin brainless that M$ couldn't provide for some at least modest internet connectivity along with their game computer -- something both Sony and Nintendo readily do.

The Xbox already is a servicable (though certainly not perfect) remote Media Center -- it ably connects through the network to act as a conduit to the primary media computer and its network. It works decently as a DVR interface.

But with this now quiet Xbox already attached to a flat screen in the media room -- why compel users to also get a netbook / PC to do basic internet browsing ????
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  10.    #10  
    It's an enclosed system for a rea$$$on. They want you with them, using their services they negotiated for(paid money lol). Apple's not the only one closed, they're just more extreme to a fault.

But MSFT knows full well what they're doing, keep people buying Gold memberships. If they gave you a browser, someone would be hacking to get in Hulu and maybe even Netflix and other streaming sites, making a lot of MSFT's negotiations useless. ESPN just made an agreement and I think last.fm has one too. With a browser, you may be able to bypass these official Xbox "apps"(for lack of a better term).

I'm impressed that they finally fixed the hardware competitively though, that was a bigger sticking point with me. Gold memberships can be bought for cheaper if you check and are for those who must use these media services or play online.

It's an enclosed system for a rea$$$on. They want you with them, using their services they negotiated for(paid money lol). Apple's not the only one closed, they're just more extreme to a fault.

But MSFT knows full well what they're doing, keep people buying Gold memberships. If they gave you a browser, someone would be hacking to get in Hulu and maybe even Netflix and other streaming sites, making a lot of MSFT's negotiations useless. ESPN just made an agreement and I think last.fm has one too. With a browser, you may be able to bypass these official Xbox "apps"(for lack of a better term).

I'm impressed that they finally fixed the hardware competitively though, that was a bigger sticking point with me. Gold memberships can be bought for cheaper if you check and are for those who must use these media services or play online.
    valid explanations all, my darling.

And true -- Apple does evil similarly, in how they handcuff their customers to their proprietary junk yards -- err walled gardens...

Though it pains me to disagree with you my Diva, I must say that I highly doubt that M$ is making anything equivalent to what Apple makes from iTunes or its Apps store. How much do you suppose Netfilix, Hulu etc. "pay" M$ for porting their wares to Xbox Live ?? (not much I'd guess).

The secondary Xbox ecosystem is small, and for the most part and it serves mostly as frosting on the Xbox's gaming platform's cake.

Humans buy those boxes to shoot each other virtually (unfortunately) -- not to use as Hulu/Netflix viewers.

Why is it that Sony and Nintendo do not have a problem enabling internet access -- why are they not troubled by enabling a browser ??

Oh I get it -- all M$ has is IE.

Could it be that M$ is so incapable of writing a robust secure version of a browser, that it dares not offer it for the Xbox, lest the Xbox be plagued by viruses ????

You are right though about their Gold Xbox Live system. Its for the most part an amazingly successful gaming arena. Somehow its able to decently synchronize players from around the planet in nightly combat. A 12 month pass can routinely be bought for $25-30 (I've had good luck getting valid passes on ebay.) A good bargain -- especially when understood by the unlimited basis of the membership.

Sheepishly I confess that I commonly watch 5 hours of news a night -- all while simultaneously playing crazed game after game after game on Xbox live ...
    Last edited by BARYE; 06/17/2010 at 05:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan23945bulls View Post
    i got one today i work at best buy and we had a shipment early for some weird reason.
    lols @ weird reason...u best buy guys always get 1st dibs
  13.    #13  
    Technically Hulu is not available on any console at this time, but you used to be able to get it through the browser on PS3, until Hulu blocked it. But PlayOn still works, supposedly. I'm not sure you can do this workaround with Xbox though. But Reuters: Hulu plans to expand to iPad, Xbox 360, offer subscription service -- Engadget

Then there's ESPN3 comes exclusively to Xbox 360 -- Engadget

There's also a reminder in that article that even using the Xbox Facebook app requires Gold.

From last year: Xbox Live gets 1080p Zune video store, Netflix browsing, Twitter and Facebook integration -- Engadget

Then there's this, confirms for sure you need Gold for social networking: Twitter and Facebook for Xbox Live will be free for Gold members, 'free trial' for Silver -- Engadget

BARYE, you really think that MSFT isn't offering all these features to entice more Gold memberships?? Someone even said in that last link, a browser would take care of this. But we know that means many would not need to use Gold as often and it would lose some value. Since it's still free to play online with PS3, even with their new subscription service coming, these features help justify the fee on Xbox. Some people grip about that a lot(why pay for online play), but with the new features, many people shut up and pay. MSFT is subtly "forcing" Gold. You don't need to use it but you miss out on a whole lot if you don't.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 06/17/2010 at 06:14 AM.

I don't understand why they left the memory card slots off of the new version??? I have some games where the game save CANNOT be transfered to a different media device (Damn you Team Ninja). I knew about this going in and opted to same to a memory card vs. the HD for portability. Guess no reason for me to upgrade.
  15.    #15  
    Leaving memory card slots off is obvious. $$$, buy new console and new accessories. Also why do you think the transfer cable is $20?

Although I say if you have friends also getting a new Xbox, split the cost between you and use the cable among yourselves.

Technically Hulu is not available on any console at this time, but you used to be able to get it through the browser on PS3, until Hulu blocked it. But PlayOn still works, supposedly. I'm not sure you can do this workaround with Xbox though. But Reuters: Hulu plans to expand to iPad, Xbox 360, offer subscription service -- Engadget

Then there's ESPN3 comes exclusively to Xbox 360 -- Engadget

There's also a reminder in that article that even using the Xbox Facebook app requires Gold.

From last year: Xbox Live gets 1080p Zune video store, Netflix browsing, Twitter and Facebook integration -- Engadget

Then there's this, confirms for sure you need Gold for social networking: Twitter and Facebook for Xbox Live will be free for Gold members, 'free trial' for Silver -- Engadget

BARYE, you really think that MSFT isn't offering all these features to entice more Gold memberships?? Someone even said in that last link, a browser would take care of this. But we know that means many would not need to use Gold as often and it would lose some value. Since it's still free to play online with PS3, even with their new subscription service coming, these features help justify the fee on Xbox. Some people grip about that a lot(why pay for online play), but with the new features, many people shut up and pay. MSFT is subtly "forcing" Gold. You don't need to use it but you miss out on a whole lot if you don't.
    Oh, how I love how you tantalize me with your insight, and then torture me with your logic, ma chérie...

But forgive please the ramblings of your old monkey as he wonders how many non-gamering facebook users are buying Xboxes ?? And how many of those facebookers are going to fork over an extra $30-40 just for the privilege of tweaking their page via their Xbox console ???

Humans get these boxes to game. Period.

Those extra capabilities are to expand the feature set and utility of the console (and therefore its value proposition). As such it would be far far more rational and valuable to enable net access (and all that that entails) with that Gold membership.

As a gaming arena Live does offer sufficient value to justify its costs.

PS3 etc is not (apparently) anywhere near as successful.

It still remains unfathomable to me why M$ cannot provide browser access -- at the very least when unlocked with the gold card.
    The memory card slots are left off, but you can now partition any USB drive up to I believe 16GB to use as a memory card, so you're better off anyway.

The hard drive is in a proprietary cartridge, which sucks, but I'm not surprised on that one.

There's no red ring of death possible anymore.... because there's no longer any red LEDs there. But seriously, the Valhalla chipset uses a integrated CPU / GPU at 45nm die size, which should mean that the issues that cause the RROD are hopefully gone (though who knows if they still use the horrible X-clamp cooler mounting system, hopefully not.)

The power brick is smaller and 135w compared to 170w for the Jasper iteration, and 235w for the original Xenon version (those numbers are by memory, so might be a little off, but around there).
    Red ring of death in a different pakage ooohh. PS3 is the way to go. IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by Flak1969 View Post
    Red ring of death in a different pakage ooohh. PS3 is the way to go. IMO
    No more red ring of death... Its physically impossible on the new 360s.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    My roommate just got the red LED of death on his PS3 the other day. He had the 60gb version so he could play his old PS2 games on there.. (When is Twisted Metal coming out for the PS3 btw?) He put in a movie and it just stopped spinning and the red light came on... I got flashbacks to seeing my ex-roommate and when he got his red ring of death on his Xbox 360.

I was flabbergasted to find out that this actually happened on the PS3! Apparently the red LED of death only happened on the 60gb version...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast