Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    The new one's all sold out at the local Clark Street Best Buy. PS3s still sitting there.

Sold out all local Best Buys within convenient distance.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 06/21/2010 at 02:45 AM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  2.    #42  
    New Xbox 360 has red dot of death, instead? Not quite -- Engadget

Let's hope the shut down feature prevents complete failure.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    New Xbox 360 has red dot of death, instead? Not quite -- Engadget

Let's hope the shut down feature prevents complete failure.
    Ms. Diva my sweet -- why has it taken M$ one Billion dollars and nearly 5 years to figure out how to pro-actively address failure from overheating ????!!!

The 360 is nothing more than a simplified purpose built PC.

I guess I can understand M$'s problem -- PCs have only been around since, well -- 1977.

Portable computers since the early 80s.

How was M$ supposed to know anything about the importance of heat and cooling ??

I've had my 360 taken from me 3 times in 4 years. Most every tech writer talking about the 360 has had similar horror stories to report.

M$ gave me total crap when the first failure happened -- I had to make 2-3 calls before they'd take it back for repair.

They knew within the first year they had a problem -- can anyone explain why its taken FIVE YEARS and a billion dollars (in warranty repairs and expansions) to finally address it ???

Like many things, its comprehensible to your aging monkey BARYE...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Yes you knocked it on the head...it is all about Gold Membership.

I'm an original Halo edition Xbox 360 owner and barely use my unit. I bought it originally to play Halo 3 and because I got a great deal coming with standard HDMI interfaces which was not available in all units.

My Gold Membership expired earlier in the year and guess what MS is getting soon...NADA...my renewal has been put on hold since what's the point of Gold Membership??? Facebook, Youtube, yikes are people that bored that they use their Xbox to login and play Farmvile?

I don't play that much online, Netflix is provided Free on my PS3 and Wii so what's the point. Playing online has been enjoyable (loved Left for Dead online), but other than that...I lost interest quickly hearing 10-year-olds online cursing at me in high pitched voices.

The only thing I saw this last week from MS of significance was the Connect. They may have finally gotten this interfacing right and removed the need for our Beloved living room Remote Controls (anyone seen the remote?).

Heck...I even want to try this out, but I'm also too familiar with MS plans of world dominance and can almost guarantee that Connect will only work with original DVDs and online video purchases. Most people know that PS3 and Xbox 360 units provide similar digital media receiver (DMR) as MS calls it using their Windows Media Center control interfacing.

What most people don't know is MS DMR watches and scan your content while your viewing for legal or illegal material. I actually read about this online a few years ago and didn't believe it till I downloaded a movie from the internet and checked my unit directly.

Don't believe me...try it for yourself, if you own a Xbox 360 and Windows Media Center Connect on your PC, download a recent movie in Divx format (something you know is illegal and distributed all over the internet) and then connect your PC and Xbox via DMR connect and begin streaming the movie locally.

All you have to do is Scrub through the content on your Xbox 360 scanning forwards and backwards, which somehow allows MS the opportunity to check what you are watching (probably have to be on the internet for this work). Sooner or later you'll get a Pop-Up warning from the DMR interface saying that this movie has been banned as illegal content and magically the file know longer shows up on your Xbox and is deleted from your PC.

Wow, talk about Big Brother watching. Pretty scary and did anyone see or hear word of this feature at MS press event last week?

Again, I have no clue how MS does this, but sooner then later you'll get a the message and I've switched to playing my backup movies from my Mac to my DMR connected PS3 that does not check content.

To be honest, I like many here prefer converting original DVD's to digital copies so I can play them on my PCs and Pre at my convenience and not having to grab the original media and DVD. MS Connect would make this playback fantastic, but again I suspect MS will block Connect interfacing for viewing and controlling remote content viewing, which lowers their profit margin. Typical and we'll just have to wait and see... Sorli...

There's also a reminder in that article that even using the Xbox Facebook app requires Gold.

BARYE, you really think that MSFT isn't offering all these features to entice more Gold memberships?? Someone even said in that last link, a browser would take care of this. But we know that means many would not need to use Gold as often and it would lose some value. Since it's still free to play online with PS3, even with their new subscription service coming, these features help justify the fee on Xbox. Some people grip about that a lot(why pay for online play), but with the new features, many people shut up and pay. MSFT is subtly "forcing" Gold. You don't need to use it but you miss out on a whole lot if you don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Yes you knocked it on the head...it is all about Gold Membership.

I'm an original Halo edition Xbox 360 owner and barely use my unit. I bought it originally to play Halo 3 and because I got a great deal coming with standard HDMI interfaces which was not available in all units.

My Gold Membership expired earlier in the year and guess what MS is getting soon...NADA...my renewal has been put on hold since what's the point of Gold Membership??? Facebook, Youtube, yikes are people that bored that they use their Xbox to login and play Farmvile?

I don't play that much online, Netflix is provided Free on my PS3 and Wii so what's the point. Playing online has been enjoyable (loved Left for Dead online), but other than that...I lost interest quickly hearing 10-year-olds online cursing at me in high pitched voices.

The only thing I saw this last week from MS of significance was the Connect. They may have finally gotten this interfacing right and removed the need for our Beloved living room Remote Controls (anyone seen the remote?).

Heck...I even want to try this out, but I'm also too familiar with MS plans of world dominance and can almost guarantee that Connect will only work with original DVDs and online video purchases. Most people know that PS3 and Xbox 360 units provide similar digital media receiver (DMR) as MS calls it using their Windows Media Center control interfacing.

What most people don't know is MS DMR watches and scan your content while your viewing for legal or illegal material. I actually read about this online a few years ago and didn't believe it till I downloaded a movie from the internet and checked my unit directly.

Don't believe me...try it for yourself, if you own a Xbox 360 and Windows Media Center Connect on your PC, download a recent movie in Divx format (something you know is illegal and distributed all over the internet) and then connect your PC and Xbox via DMR connect and begin streaming the movie locally.

All you have to do is Scrub through the content on your Xbox 360 scanning forwards and backwards, which somehow allows MS the opportunity to check what you are watching (probably have to be on the internet for this work). Sooner or later you'll get a Pop-Up warning from the DMR interface saying that this movie has been banned as illegal content and magically the file know longer shows up on your Xbox and is deleted from your PC.

Wow, talk about Big Brother watching. Pretty scary and did anyone see or hear word of this feature at MS press event last week?

Again, I have no clue how MS does this, but sooner then later you'll get a the message and I've switched to playing my backup movies from my Mac to my DMR connected PS3 that does not check content.

To be honest, I like many here prefer converting original DVD's to digital copies so I can play them on my PCs and Pre at my convenience and not having to grab the original media and DVD. MS Connect would make this playback fantastic, but again I suspect MS will block Connect interfacing for viewing and controlling remote content viewing, which lowers their profit margin. Typical and we'll just have to wait and see... Sorli...
    sorry to quote such a long post but I'm on my pre. I don't know what has happened to you over there but I have over 400+ movies on my pc. I watch them on my xbox and this has never happened to me nor have I ever heard of this til now... There was a movie burn after reading that now doesn't show up anymore and can't figure out why not but it's hard for me to believe what you wrote in your post.
  6.    #46  

Xbox failure only 2 days after release.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    sorry to quote such a long post but I'm on my pre. I don't know what has happened to you over there but I have over 400+ movies on my pc. I watch them on my xbox and this has never happened to me nor have I ever heard of this til now... There was a movie burn after reading that now doesn't show up anymore and can't figure out why not but it's hard for me to believe what you wrote in your post.
    Yes that is what I thought...why would they bother and keep in mind...all this stuff sounds like conspiracy "big brother watching" stuff, but I'm just passing what happened to me. To be honest, I haven't used Xbox360 media center extender feature since my PS3 went into service, so I have no idea what message they sent besides the fact that it happened and my Xbox360 took control of my Mac running Connect 360 and deleted the file it thought was in question.

My collection of stuff comes from DVD backups of my originals that are easier to view then watching the originals (i.e., LOTR-Fellowship of the Rings - Extended Edition) that come with multiple disks, so I'm not worried about MS or otherwise since as an original DVD Buyers, I have the right and Legal backing to make a back-up of my original purchases.

For that matter, you referenced in your reply that is "it's hard for me to believe what you wrote in your post." Maybe they removed the check/big brother feature and now its not there, but then your reply also places a level of Trust for the largest software developer in the world...Microsoft who makes Millions selling movies via Xbox, Zune or otherwise.

If you don't think it is possible, I hope you are right. Just because you haven't gotten the notices like I did when testing, it doesn't mean MS isn't collecting your consumption/use data.

Actually, I guarantee they are collecting this data, selling it to Media Providers, Movie Studios, etc...everything is about Profit and last I checked it is hard to put a firewall locally on an Xbox 360 to block this type of communication.

Got me, but figured someone would be interested. Sorli...
    Honestly, I suspect those who are posting videos of red-lights already are intentionally causing issues to try to be famous on the internet.

Most likely they're intentionally blocking all the vents with a towel or something of that sort.

It seems highly unlikely that something like that caused by heat buildup would naturally happen so quickly. Of course, it is possible they just received a defective unit as well, but I'd bet they were doing it on purpose.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Honestly, I suspect those who are posting videos of red-lights already are intentionally causing issues to try to be famous on the internet.

Most likely they're intentionally blocking all the vents with a towel or something of that sort.

It seems highly unlikely that something like that caused by heat buildup would naturally happen so quickly. Of course, it is possible they just received a defective unit as well, but I'd bet they were doing it on purpose.
    given M$'s history, your faith is most impressive
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    given M$'s history, your faith is most impressive
    Again, you'll find me pretty cynical about Microsoft in general (see my comment before about the X-clamps), but it's just physics. A 45nm process, with a combined GPU and CPU is going to give off less heat. Combine that with a larger fan, and if the fan is working and if there's external ventilation (ie it isn't being blocked with a towel or the like), there's going to be less heat.

Now, it's possible the fan wasn't working as well, which yes, would be Microsoft's fault, but can't really be helped... there's always going to be a couple defects in a batch.

But I still think it's most likely that someone was doing that intentionally.

Plus, it's my understanding of things that the red light coming on this time, alongside the error message is just a warning that the temperature has gotten too hot, and turns off the console in time to prevent permanent damage.

And I have to add, I find your use of the "M$" moniker a little... annoying. So they're trying to make money, like any other company in the world. This is a bad thing how?
    Xbox failure only 2 days after release.
    $ony fan... girl.
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

So people just waste $300 plus tax and/or shipping to prove something? I can see a few doing this but intentionally messing up your machine is bound to cause more problems in the end. Now you have to go through the trouble of exchanging, or a refund, or a repair, already. I don't know how many people really want this hassle.

13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever92 View Post
    $ony fan... girl.
    Did you see the YouTube? The guy's machine seems busted already. Hopefully that's just a fluke.

It has nothing to do with being a fan of Sony, which I'm not. They lied so much about the PS3 features they were supposed to keep on, I'm glad I bought the Slim so I don't feel shafted as much.

Actually, yeah... I got you mixed up or didn't realize you weren't obviously from the thread but, thought it would be fun to use Fan girl for a change. Anyway, yeah this slim is real nice. It really should've been what they came out with from the start instead of the garbage we've had til this point. I've been not only using mine more than normal but, I've been taking it to work regularly and haven't had a problem. : knock on wood:

I've also become an installing *****. I don't know what to do with myself going from 20gbs and no space at all to 250gbs.
    So people just waste $300 plus tax and/or shipping to prove something?
    Have you seen the type of people that exist on the internet?

But anyway, the Youtube link you posted ended up being resolved, the guy got his replaced. Nobody ever claimed that this new design will have a 0% failure rate, but it should have a much greater average lifespan, and that's really all you can hope for. Besides that, the issues causing the RROD have a gradual effect over an extended period of time. Clearly this person, while they did seem to have a defective console, didn't have the same issues.

Despite the 360's reputation for having a short lifespan, other than the (of course very huge) issues causing the RROD it was pretty solid, so it's those that we should be watching out for anyway.

But also, Sony and Nintendo have some consoles fail on them too, and hopefully for Microsoft's sake as well as gamers, the redesign lowers the rate even further from the improvement we've seen so far with the Jasper.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 06/22/2010 at 03:50 PM.
    I play the part of Smart Guy (a stretch, I know) and my friend plays the part of Doody Head (not a stretch at all).

Doody Head [11:02 AM]:
    but seriously...... wouldnt you really make sure the heat issue will not hurt it this time!
    Doody Head [11:02 AM]:
    come on Microsoft!
    Doody Head [11:49 AM]:
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20008350-17.html
    Smart Guy [11:49 AM]:
    Already read that.
    why would anyone like this..... its like all the notices Windows asks a user Yes and No questions....
    yes
    Smart Guy [11:50 AM]:
    I think it is a good thing. Some users are inherantly stupid and put their devices in closed spaces. The warning is for the stupid people (who not coinicidentally are the most vocal).
    Doody Head [11:51 AM]:
    okay..... you are playing for an hour of gaming, you got pretty far and NOTICE pops up! Kills your SAVE, RIPS you off and WASTES your time....
    Doody Head [11:51 AM]:
    thats where the consumer has the full right to complain
    Doody Head [11:52 AM]:
    thats just my 2-3 bits
    Smart Guy [11:53 AM]:
    The customer that doesn't understand technology has to be taught. That is a good move by MS. Now if Microsoft hadn't provided a warning, what would the outcry be then? MS sucks because my hardware is now broken. Also, most games have save points every few minutes. Add to that, the warning comes in advance of shutdown so you do have the opportunity to save the game.
    Smart Guy [11:53 AM]:
    Also, who said it was an hour before it overheated? Seriously.
    Doody Head [11:56 AM]:
    I dont buy crap to have problems
    errors over and over
    that is what Beta testeing is for
    Smart Guy [11:56 AM]:
    It is not having errors. Sheesh. It is a warning.
    Microsoft and Balmer needs a lesson in that
    Doody Head [11:57 AM]:
    Rushing an error that haunts you already is SAD
    very SAD
    Smart Guy [11:57 AM]:
    If Apple made a game console they would have to deal with the morons as well.
    you mean Beta Testing
    Apple would test the crap out of stuff
    Smart Guy [11:57 AM]:
    No. Consoles with processors need to be in a well ventilated area.
    they could have an error too
    Doody Head [11:58 AM]:
    that would be thier fault
    Smart Guy [11:58 AM]:
    Are you for gun control? I mean is it the gun company s fault when you shoot somone?
    My Dreamcast and Saturn and Wii have never broke down
    well me wii did
    bought it from a SMOKER
    Doody Head [11:59 AM]:
    smoke killed it
    Smart Guy [11:59 AM]:
    If you use the product in a way that is not recommended then you deserve the consequences.
    but not in a WEEK!
    that is horrible
    MY PC is not in a open area
    and I have had no overheating with it
    just virus problems over and over
    Doody Head [12:00 PM]:
    its just crap technology
    Doody Head [12:00 PM]:
    they have good games but CRAP hardware and engineering
    Smart Guy [12:00 PM]:
    You are still opperating on the faulty premise that systems are overheating.
    Doody Head [12:01 PM]:
    I was very close to being sold on the new slim 360
    199 price all the goods
    now Im fully reluctant
    Doody Head [12:02 PM]:
    harware or software I dont care what its termed....

it should be called

IT WORKS!
    right?
    It works, thats all people and myself care about
    Doody Head [12:03 PM]:
    that makes no sense at all
    that means there is never a CRAP product ever
    because how people use the item......
    Doody Head [12:04 PM]:

I got a flat tire on my car
    Geos fault
    but it I bought the CAR brand new and it dies driving off the lot.....
    Doody Head [12:05 PM]:
    yes...... I would be mad....
    anyone would
    thats what is happening here
    Doody Head [12:06 PM]:
    faulty hardware weather it is a notice or warning its still a inconvience for a loyal customer to support it and expect good ness and to find its Broken or has issues already
    Doody Head [12:46 PM]:
    faulty hardware weather it is a notice or warning its still a inconvience for a loyal customer to support it and expect good ness and to find its Broken or has issues already
    Doody Head [12:47 PM]:
    broken or not if its too sensative to heat that is a engineer issue not a user issue
    Smart Guy [12:47 PM]:
    You live in a world where technology is limited. This isn't Star Trek. Things overheat.
    Doody Head [12:48 PM]:
    the tray is too sensative too
    the 360 tray
    barely works
    limited how
    Smart Guy [12:49 PM]:
    I will never buy a 360, but not because of so called hardware issues. I would never use it.
    Doody Head [12:49 PM]:
    I buy what I like, just like everyone does
    everyone is a ****** for anything
    you would use it if there was more time and energy in a Day
    Doody Head [12:50 PM]:
    36 hours instead of 24
    Doody Head [12:50 PM]:
    its just a matter of what a person wants to do with thier time
    Doody Head [1:44 PM]:
    Us married guys with rug rats have no time to waste..... especially if we buy a new slim 360 and it crashes with no save upon the very little time we had to even play
    can you imagine.... you play new zelda on a new system with your boys for hour or 2 and CRASH Notice..... NO SAVE
    Doody Head [1:46 PM]:
    all that time wasted do to Crap overheating
    Smart Guy [1:46 PM]:
    When I play with my kids, I save it all the time.
    Doody Head [1:46 PM]:
    its just frustarting thats all
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Can I get a cliff notes version of that... ? Too many brain cells were dying trying to decipher the first part to start with..
    I have the new 360 and is great lol. I traded my 2 year old 360 60gb to gamestop for $135 so its a great deal. A used 60gb 360 goes for about $80 on ebay. I figure its the best deal im gonna get so I took it. Old xboxs will no doubt be dropping even more in value as the new ones spread around. I also dont expect gamestop to offer a deal like this after they no longer need to take pre-orders. Go buy an xbox slim. Mine has no problems.
    on a side note... I also have the ps3 slim and its good for blueray but xbox has the better online gaming. The ps3 network cant compete with xbox live. I dont buy ps3 games anymore.
  20.    #60  
    I really wish the wifi adapter would drop in price for the older ones. It's still very high.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast