Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    No more red ring of death... Its physically impossible on the new 360s.
    it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck its still red ring of death without lights.
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    the 360 is so much better than the ps3. I have both and my ps3 gets no love from anyone in my house.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flak1969 View Post
    it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck its still red ring of death without lights.
    Well, now we need to call it something different lol
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    Oh, how I love how you tantalize me with your insight, and then torture me with your logic, ma chérie...

But forgive please the ramblings of your old monkey as he wonders how many non-gamering facebook users are buying Xboxes ?? And how many of those facebookers are going to fork over an extra $30-40 just for the privilege of tweaking their page via their Xbox console ???

Humans get these boxes to game. Period.

Those extra capabilities are to expand the feature set and utility of the console (and therefore its value proposition). As such it would be far far more rational and valuable to enable net access (and all that that entails) with that Gold membership.

As a gaming arena Live does offer sufficient value to justify its costs.

PS3 etc is not (apparently) anywhere near as successful.

It still remains unfathomable to me why M$ cannot provide browser access -- at the very least when unlocked with the gold card.

It's true people get them to game, but what I mean is MSFT is making the Gold membership look like an exclusive club or something. You buy, you get all this. You don't, you get bare bones. You can still game fine on Silver, but not with your friends, no chat, no this, no that. It's a ploy that actually works apparently. People do not complain so much even if they do have to pay. Sure you have the PS3 gloaters, but no one on Xbox cares. They get cool features, while Sony user get online play only. And the Netfront browser sucks. I have it, so I know.

Almost forgot, lol. If MSFT gives a browser, except for online play, you could likely access much of what they offer through the browser. This makes Gold look like price gouging then, unless they lower the price perhaps. So MSFT keeps it all locked up so you must go through them and pay.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 06/17/2010 at 05:10 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by bsburnham View Post
    My roommate just got the red LED of death on his PS3 the other day. He had the 60gb version so he could play his old PS2 games on there.. (When is Twisted Metal coming out for the PS3 btw?) He put in a movie and it just stopped spinning and the red light came on... I got flashbacks to seeing my ex-roommate and when he got his red ring of death on his Xbox 360.

I was flabbergasted to find out that this actually happened on the PS3! Apparently the red LED of death only happened on the 60gb version...
    Red instead of yellow? Yellow is supposed to be the PS3 color of death. I think the blu-ray drive is messed up when that happens.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Well, apparently Microsoft is still using the flawed X-clamp for its one heatsink mount. (New 2010 xbox 360 250gb xbox 360 system)

That just seems ridiculous to me.

For those who don't know, there's three related factors causing the RROD. (Simplified a little bit for clarity).

1 is heat buildup. Yes, the newer 360 will improve this aspect drastically, but it's not the only reason.

2 is the x-clamp. This unevenly stresses the mainboard and causes tiny amounts of flexing.

3 is the lead-free solder Microsoft uses. The heat and flexing of the board combine to cause the solder joints to crack.

3 is pretty much a necessity nowadays with all the restrictions on electronics. 1 is greatly improved. But they're still using the same system for 2, which just makes no sense.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Flak1969 View Post
    Red ring of death in a different pakage ooohh. PS3 is the way to go. IMO

If they didn't have sense enough to fix that problem this time around, that will be the worst(even worse that Sony constantly lying about keeping PS3 features then removing them, don't forget) and I mean the worst, most boneheaded move ever in gaming!!! Xbox is a running joke because of that problem, even though successful.

But people in the know say the new system should run much cooler.

8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Well, apparently Microsoft is still using the flawed X-clamp for its one heatsink mount. (New 2010 xbox 360 250gb xbox 360 system)

That just seems ridiculous to me.

For those who don't know, there's three related factors causing the RROD. (Simplified a little bit for clarity).

1 is heat buildup. Yes, the newer 360 will improve this aspect drastically, but it's not the only reason.

2 is the x-clamp. This unevenly stresses the mainboard and causes tiny amounts of flexing.

3 is the lead-free solder Microsoft uses. The heat and flexing of the board combine to cause the solder joints to crack.

3 is pretty much a necessity nowadays with all the restrictions on electronics. 1 is greatly improved. But they're still using the same system for 2, which just makes no sense.
    You're scaring me now, lol!

Well, honestly, I'd bet that the issues will be much more infrequent. With the Jasper revision, the RROD frequency decreased drastically, and it should be even more so this time around. I mean, heat buildup is still pretty much the biggest factor. But when for a couple pennies more they could've removed the other factor, it's just ridiculous to me that they haven't.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Still has that big powerbrick! I do like the look though. Looks like a miniature alienware computer.
    I told a friend at work today the EXACT same thing! lol
    "It is innocent, unless found Gu1l7y.
    Anybody getting the Kinect?? I want it but not if it's over $100
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    Anybody getting the Kinect?? I want it but not if it's over $100
    without knowing the games it will be integrated with, or its game play features and interactive fidelity -- its not yet possible to judge its value.

I will be skeptical until there are at least several solid games using it.

BTW -- another of my serious complaints re Xbox is the interface inconsistency -- in most of the games I've tried you cannot customize their controls -- this forces you to relearn the muscle memory for each new game. Ridiculous.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  13.    #33  
    I never got the Wii because I wasn't really interested in those types of games. Now that Sony and MSFT are imitating the Wii but usually offer better games, maybe that will change, but I'm still not convinced entirely.

I gotta give MSFT credit.....I got the "red ring of death" a couple of months ago and my extended warranty had run out back in Dec of '09. I packaged it up, sent it back with a letter requesting that they cover it at no cost, and they sent it back all fixed (actually, a different unit) and never heard a thing about paying for it. So kudos to MSFT for fixing it for free like they should have.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    I don't usually bother with Gamestop but this was a great deal for me. I traded my 20gb xbox I got from Microcenter for $200 and spent only $134 more for the new one. Stupid Ca. taxes...

Gamestop.com - Trade-In Offers
    Am I the only one that doesn't think the original 360 was majorly flawed (with the exception of rrod obviously, but that wasn't intentional on ms's part). For the time it came out, which was 5-6 years ago already, it was a pretty competent system.

I own both a ps3 and a 360 and have to say I can appreciate both, mainly because I am a gamer and just want to play the games available, the hardware is secondary to me. With that said, I understand the ps3's hardware actually IS better, but I find that the 360 has more titles which appeal to me personally, thus making it more valuable imo.

In regards to the xbl vs psn debate, I find the 360's online experience to be much more worthwhile. The games I have tried to play online for ps3 are just such bland experiences, with obvious exceptions like cod and little big planet, and developers who make games for psn don't seem to understand what a decent ui is, they could take a page out of palms book for that one I love the fact that psn is free, but they just need to do more to build a community to compete with that of xbl. My suggestion is to bundle headsets with any new ps3s.
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    I gotta give MSFT credit.....I got the "red ring of death" a couple of months ago and my extended warranty had run out back in Dec of '09. I packaged it up, sent it back with a letter requesting that they cover it at no cost, and they sent it back all fixed (actually, a different unit) and never heard a thing about paying for it. So kudos to MSFT for fixing it for free like they should have.
    more than half of XBoxes had the Red Rings of Death (54%).

It was so common that M$ stopped talking about it as a problem -- and began to describe it as a "feature".

("The Xbox 360 breaks five times as often as its closest failure-prone competitor, the PlayStation 3...")

The headwriter of Anandtech -- in writing about the new XBox -- mentions that he's had: "a total of five Xbox 360s. Four of them have died. Three because of the Red Ring of Death, all out of warranty..."

Really, there's not alot to justify buying the new XBox if you already have one, except for perhaps not having it break repeatedly.

Ever since they allowed games to be loaded from the hard drive instead from the DVD, the "jet plane taking off" noise issue is no longer noticed by me.

(I've heard from good authority btw, that those DVD drives were engineered by the same folks who were responsible for designing Internet Explorer...)
    Last edited by BARYE; 06/18/2010 at 09:16 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    more than half of XBoxes had the Red Rings of Death (54%).

It was so common that M$ stopped talking about it as a problem -- and began to describe it as a "feature".

("The Xbox 360 breaks five times as often as its closest failure-prone competitor, the PlayStation 3...")

The headwriter of Anandtech -- in writing about the new XBox -- mentions that he's had: "a total of five Xbox 360s. Four of them have died. Three because of the Red Ring of Death, all out of warranty..."

Really, there's not alot to justify buying the new XBox if you already have one, except for perhaps not having it break repeatedly.

Ever since they allowed games to be loaded from the hard drive instead from
    the DVD, the "jet plane taking off" noise issue is no longer noticed by me.

(I've heard from good authority btw, that those DVD drives were engineered by the same folks who were responsible for designing Internet Explorer...)
    I'm not going to deny that Microsoft had some issues with console failures, but each generation of the 360 motherboard has improved things quite a bit. Yes, the x-clamp thing still bugs the hell out of me, because changing that might have fixed things even with the old motherboards (look up x-clamp fix to see tons of people who successfully repaired RROD consoles partly by replacing the x-clamps), but I can't deny that they've had continual improvement.

As for the DVD drive, those are pretty much off the shelf parts given to them by various companies... again this has improved drastically, though in the older consoles that depends on whether you got a Lite-On, Hitachi, Samsung, etc.

And who cares about DVD drive noise when you can just install games to the hard drive if you want? (Much prefer the way the 360 does it, as being an option, rather than it being mandatory for some PS3 games, personally).
  19.    #39  
    I never knew what they meant by Xbox noise(never owned one) until they put the DVD in the old Xbox 360 on Engadget. To me that's loud, lol! But I exchanged my first PS3 Slim because it had a loud idling noise. The 2nd isn't so noisy idling, but you still hear it. I saw a video showing how loud the old PS3 was. Less than the old Xbox, but still noisy. The new Xbox isn't exactly quiet either, but it is better than the old, and probably comparable to the PS3 Slim. I'm thinking noisy consoles may be normal.

The new Xbox 360 is here -- we go head-to-head with the 360 Original, PS3 Slim, and Wii -- Engadget

Geez... could you talk more during the sound test on the slim... ? moron. funny part even with him yapping you could tell the difference.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast