Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    As the World Cup starts,*conservative media declare war on soccer | Media Matters for America

Yes, it's Media Matters...and it's also direct quotes. Gotta love the consistency of the right wing...they are aholes about everything.

Conservatives: "Obama's policies are the World Cup," soccer is "a poor man or poor woman's sport"

Glenn Beck: "Barack Obama's policies are the World Cup." In an extensive rant on the June 11 Glenn Beck Program, Beck purported to explain how President Obama's policies "are the World Cup" of "political thought." Beck stated, "It doesn't matter how you try to sell it to us, it doesn't matter how many celebrities you get, it doesn't matter how many bars open early, it doesn't matter how many beer commercials they run, we don't want the World Cup, we don't like the World Cup, we don't like soccer, we want nothing to do with it." Beck stated that likewise, "the rest of the world likes Barack Obama's policies, we do not."
    Beck added "those who like the World Cup ... they're the most likely to riot," commenting that by contrast, "I haven't seen the baseball riots." He later said of soccer, "I hate it so much, probably because the rest of the world likes it so much, and they riot over it, and they continually try to jam it down our throat."

MRC's Dan Gainor: "Soccer is designed as a poor man or poor woman's sport," "the left is pushing [soccer] in schools across the country." Also on the June 10 G. Gordon Liddy Show, Media Research Center's Dan Gainor said, "the problem here is, soccer is designed as a poor man or poor woman's sport" and that "the left is pushing it in schools across the country." He added: "generally football games in this country don't devolve into riots or wars." He later added that the sport of soccer "is being sold" as necessary due to the "browning of America."
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Why do you think Media Matters quoted Gainor as saying "browning of America"?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    Why do you think Media Matters quoted Gainor as saying "browning of America"?
    Because they are reporting on the blatant racism of the fringe right, appears to me. Are you saying he didn't say it? Or are you complaining because they reported it?
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    Because they are reporting on the blatant racism of the fringe right, appears to me. Are you saying he didn't say it? Or are you complaining because they reported it?
    I'm just wondering why Media Matters didn't this that the context in which he said it would matter. Did you even listen to your own link?
  5.    #5  
    I'm just wondering why Media Matters didn't this that the context in which he said it would matter. Did you even listen to your own link?

Sure did. If you mean that he mentioned it was someone else that developed the terminology and not him, so what? He didn't disagree with it. And he did bring it up. It fit right in with his message.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Sure did. If you mean that he mentioned it was someone else that developed the terminology and not him, so what? He didn't disagree with it. And he did bring it up. It fit right in with his message.
    Actually, I don't think you did listen to it because he did not agree with it.
  7.    #7  
    Actually, I don't think you did listen to it because he did not agree with it.
    You really have no idea whether he did or didn't. He certainly didn't say he disagreed with it, and the clip ends before he finished his thought about the ability to choose to watch it or not. Of course, you can interpret it anyway you want to suit your own purposes, since you usually do. Of course, regardless of what you think, it's clear that the borderline personalities of the right fringe consider the World Cup as a great opportunity to sell their brand of racism, classism, and yes, elitism to their clueless base. Of course, you don't agree with them do you? Do you think the left is pushing soccer down people's throats because it's a poor person's game? Because really, that is so logical. Huh?
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    You really have no idea whether he did or didn't. He certainly didn't say he disagreed with it, and the clip ends before he finished his thought about the ability to choose to watch it or not. Of course, you can interpret it anyway you want to suit your own purposes, since you usually do. Of course, regardless of what you think, it's clear that the borderline personalities of the right fringe consider the World Cup as a great opportunity to sell their brand of racism, classism, and yes, elitism to their clueless base. Of course, you don't agree with them do you? Do you think the left is pushing soccer down people's throats because it's a poor person's game? Because really, that is so logical. Huh?
    It matters because it's Media Matters. If you can, by your own admission, interpret it any way you like then why did Media Matters choose to include such an incendiary quote? Why didn't they make it more clear that he was quoting someone else and he didn't agree with the statement? And why did you automatically choose to interpret it as a racist comment?

Anyway, whatever, davidra. You'll hear what fits into your belief system. I'm just pointing it out for the others here who might want to consider the truth of the matter without all the hysterics. The truth only matters to Media Matters in the very strictest sense. If they can twist something without it technically being an untruth, they will. As you show very well.

Ironically, for what it's worth, Liddy was the only one who sounded anything like a racist. But MM apparently didn't think that mattered.
    Beck is still ****y over loosing the Olympic gold to Canada for both the women and mens lolol.. mind you, look at that fat pig.. i doubt he can tie his own shoes,, let alone see his.....
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
    So a lot of conservatives don't like soccer. What's the big deal?

I don't care for soccer either. Also baseball and basketball. Football is about the only sport I'm interested in. (And not college football, either).
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post

I don't care for soccer either. Also baseball and basketball. Football is about the only sport I'm interested in. (And not college football, either).

It's not my favorite either. But I don't dislike it because it's "for poor people" or because it's being "pushed down our throats by the left" or because it's only played by brown people (I'm sure Germany, Denmark, England and a lot of other countries would have us pegged as idiots, when in fact it's just Beck). Nationalistic jingoists prevail on the right.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts

I like soccer, though I don't follow it closely. That's not the story here. The real story is the blatant attempt by a so-called media-watchdog to paint right wingers as racists.
    So not liking soccer makes one a racist?
  14.    #14  
    I like soccer, though I don't follow it closely. That's not the story here. The real story is the blatant attempt by a so-called media-watchdog to paint right wingers as racists.
    No painting required. Are you a little touchy because you idolize Beck and Liddy? Are they your heroes? Let's be upfront here. You keep rationalizing their comments, but I am pretty sure you don't really believe them. And I don't think you're a racist...but you're a racist apologist unless you call it as you see it and stop hiding behind your verbiage. Just what do you think of Beck and Liddy?
  15.    #15  

I guess you failed to read the post that said it was the reason, not the dislike. Or is that too subtle for you?
    Oh come on.....soccer is boring to watch. If you are sitting in a bar and rather drunk....just staring at it....maybe it gets interesting? My stepson played on a really good local high school team and I'd go and watch it to support him, but holy cow it was boring to watch. Why the rest of the world gets so excited about soccer is beyond me....I guess they got nuttin else to watch?

Soccer = yawn
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    I clicked on the link in the first post, but nothing in it seemed like that big a deal. So I guess it's too subtle for me.
    No....not liking what davidra likes makes you a racist
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    I clicked on the link in the first post, but nothing in it seemed like that big a deal. So I guess it's too subtle for me.
    You're not looking hard enough.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    No painting required. Are you a little touchy because you idolize Beck and Liddy? Are they your heroes? Let's be upfront here. You keep rationalizing their comments, but I am pretty sure you don't really believe them. And I don't think you're a racist...but you're a racist apologist unless you call it as you see it and stop hiding behind your verbiage. Just what do you think of Beck and Liddy?
    I called it exactly as I saw it. Sorry if you missed it.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast