Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    OK, I didn't watch any of the videos linked to. But don't really have time to, at least not today.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    No....not liking what davidra likes makes you a racist

Not surprisingly, your lack of attention to detail missed the fact that I don't like soccer that much either. What makes you a racist is saying that soccer is being "pushed down the throats of Americans" because of the "browning of America". It's interesting that all you apologists have not mentioned once the specifics of the comments that were made, and Groovy specifically avoided any comments regarding his opinion of Beck and Liddy. You just keep saying you don't like soccer. If you really think that's the point, I'm not surprised, but you might at least try and address the topic...the racist nationalistic elitist attitude of the right wing toward the rest of the world.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    It's interesting that all you apologists have not mentioned once the specifics of the comments that were made, and Groovy specifically avoided any comments regarding his opinion of Beck and Liddy. You just keep saying you don't like soccer.
    You still missed it, which is somewhat surprising since it's still up there in black and white. Please revisit those posts before widening the circle of untruths.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    You still missed it, which is somewhat surprising since it's still up there in black and white. Please revisit those posts before widening the circle of untruths.
    Excuse me. You did say that Liddy was "the only one who sounded anything like a racist". Yes, you are correct, he does. Beck just sounded ignorant, as usual, but he avoided any comment from you. I think we can assume you are a huge supporter.
    Personally.....I think trying to ram this soccer down our throat is just another way to try and paint the world as one big happy family. There are some people who really do want one world government and one world currency. Why do they try and get Americans to jump on this soccer band wagon? The vast majority of Americans just don't care about who wins this soccer "event".....but yet they spend all this money and hope we turn in and watch. I may be wrong, but I just don't think it is going to happen. I was talking to this guy at swim practice this morning and says it was so annoying watching the game this past weekend that he understands why it isn't popular here. I would have preferred ESPN and the major networks put the NCAA baseball Super Regionals on rather than some goofy foreign soccer teams....good grief. (By the way, congrats to davidra's Gator team making it to Omaha. Tigers gotta beat Bama today to follow them there)

As for what some conservative talk show hosts said....why should I care about that? You (davidra) seem to have this idea that we Republicans are zombies that walk around and repeat whatever some talk show hosts say. Do I agree with what they say some times? You bet. But I don't agree with all their comments. Do you agree with what every left wing talk show host says?
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    OK, this thread continues to puzzle me. I went back to the original post, clicked on the link, and listened to the audio clips. While a lot of what I heard was most likely factually incorrect, I certainly didn't hear anything I would consider racist.

The gist of what they are saying seems to be that soccer is a sport favored by liberals. This may, or may not, be true.

They also mentioned that soccer is being "pushed on America" via the schools. This also may, or may not, be true. (I know that soccer is popular in schools - I know I sat through a lot of boring games when my son played soccer in high school).

But why not dispute the factual accuracy of these opinions, rather than label those who hold them as racist?

As a footnote, the bit about soccer originating with indigenous peoples using the head of a defeated warrior is almost certainly incorrect. A brief check on Wikipedia will debunk that. (Soccer is referred to as "association football" in Wikipedia).
    History of association football - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Still don't see how that makes someone a racist. Just wrong on history.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    OK, this thread continues to puzzle me. I went back to the original post, clicked on the link, and listened to the audio clips. While a lot of what I heard was most likely factually incorrect, I certainly didn't hear anything I would consider racist.

The gist of what they are saying seems to be that soccer is a sport favored by liberals. This may, or may not, be true.

They also mentioned that soccer is being "pushed on America" via the schools. This also may, or may not, be true. (I know that soccer is popular in schools - I know I sat through a lot of boring games when my son played soccer in high school).

But why not dispute the factual accuracy of these opinions, rather than label those who hold them as racist?

As a footnote, the bit about soccer originating with indigenous peoples using the head of a defeated warrior is almost certainly incorrect. A brief check on Wikipedia will debunk that. (Soccer is referred to as "association football" in Wikipedia).
    History of association football - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Still don't see how that makes someone a racist. Just wrong on history.
    Again...you miss the point...if you think differently from davidra on almost any matter, there is a chance you are a racist. I've learned to deal with that with davidra and I don't take it personally....it's just the way he "thinks" these things through. If word comes out that Obama is really into soccer, and then you dare come out against soccer, well....I don't think I need to say what you will be called....but it begins with an "r" (can't disagree with Obama on anything....or else....). I guess what I'm saying is you aren't crazy and you aren't really missing anything, you just need to understand the source of this Topic.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    Again...you miss the point...if you think differently from davidra on almost any matter, there is a chance you are a racist. I've learned to deal with that with davidra and I don't take it personally....it's just the way he "thinks" these things through. ..... I guess what I'm saying is you aren't crazy and you aren't really missing anything, you just need to understand the source of this Topic.
    You may be correct. I looked up some info on this "media matters" outfit cited in the first post, and it certainly appears to be a left-wing organization. So I would consider any of their stories to be biased.

According to Wikipedia:

Funding sources
    Media Matters initially received "more than $2 million in donations from wealthy liberals" with ties to the Democratic party (including Peter Lewis of Progressive Insurance, Steve Bing, Marcy Carsey, Susie Tompkins Buell, Leo Hindrey, Gail Furman, and James Hormel) and "was developed with help from the newly formed Center for American Progress".[23][24][25] It also has received significant funding from Democracy Alliance (funded in large measure by George Soros), MoveOn.org, and the New Democrat Network.[26][25]
    My device history:

- Jim J.

Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    Excuse me. You did say that Liddy was "the only one who sounded anything like a racist". Yes, you are correct, he does. Beck just sounded ignorant, as usual, but he avoided any comment from you. I think we can assume you are a huge supporter.
    Assume all you like. I can't tell you the last time I watched/listened to Beck but I think it was a couple months ago. Personally, I think he's a bit melodramatic but I don't automatically discount everything he says because of it. I don't let him tell me what to think just like I don't let Media Matters tell me what to think, despite their ridiculous 501c3 status.
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    I can't tell you the last time I watched/listened to Beck.
    I never listen to Beck, because he comes on at the same time as Laura Ingraham in my area.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

Quote Originally Posted by tcrunner View Post
    I'd hate to go on a roadtrip with you as navigator. Observational skills just aren't present.

"The browning of America" seems to be a popular rant among these folks. In public or private. Is fear really the only weapon in the conservative arsenal?
    What the heck does "The browning of America" even mean? That's a phrase that means nothing to me.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

I like soccer. Go USA! One of the funnest matches I have seen. (England vs. USA)
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    I'd hate to go on a roadtrip with you as navigator. Observational skills just aren't present.
    The navigation system in my car works quite well, why would you think it wouldn't be working? Feel free to go on a trip with me and I will get you there.

"The browning of America" seems to be a popular rant among these folks. In public or private. Is fear really the only weapon in the conservative arsenal?
    As for "the browning of America"....to quote my favorite commercial right now, "what does that even mean"? Seriously, I have no idea what they are saying by "the browning of America". Any details would be appreciated.

Oh....ROFL....since you attack "fear" as being a conservative weapon, I'll assume you are a liberal? And liberals no nothing about fear tactics, huh? ROFL Wait....have you been hanging out with davidra? Good one....democrates would never use fear as a tactic....ROFL. Oh....this forum does provide some good laughs. Thanks for that one....funny.

EDIT: Jeffcoat....didn't see your same question....I'm glad I wasn't the only one that didn't understand that.

Since you and clem have no idea what it refers to, yet you have each made your own errant assessment of this thread's subject, there is clearly no point in explanation.
    Okay....so you don't understand it's meaning either. So 3 of us don't....could someone please explain the meaning of "the browning of America"?

Since you and clem have no idea what it refers to, yet you have each made your own errant assessment of this thread's subject, there is clearly no point in explanation.
    No, that is precisely the point of explanation. Perhaps it would correct my "errant" assessment of this thread's subject.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

The time for explanation was before you and clem made your errant assessments. An already closed mind which spouts its beliefs like it's gospel is a dangerous thing. Google is your friend.
    Okay....I "binged" the phrase and apparently comes from a book written by Richard Rodriguez? So people are upset with that phrase being used in regards to the World Cup because Liddy is saying it is mixing in different cultures and/or races into America? I don't really get where this is a racist statement. I really don't think we need more french culture brought into the US....does that mean I'm a racist towards French people? (as an aside, my ancestors apparently came from France, but I'll admit, not big fans of the French) Let's see....the Brits are in the World Cup....I think we have enough of their culture mixed in here. Japen? Brazil? North Korea? Algeria? Italy? Lots of countries....so anyone that doesn't want more of these cultures mixed in is racist? Still not sure I see the problem with that statement unless someone is trying to make it an issue....you know....that fear factor that only Republicans use, right?

The time for explanation was before you and clem made your errant assessments. An already closed mind which spouts its beliefs like it's gospel is a dangerous thing. Google is your friend.
    Very lame response.

My mind is quite open. Please enlighten me.

I googled "browning of america" and here are the first 5 links (I didn't bother to look further):

1. Yet another story from "Media Matters" (which I would classify as a left-wing biased organization) criticizing Bill O'Reilly;

2. A Wikipedia article on Richard Rodriguez, a hispanic author;

3. A book review on Ronald R. Sundstrom, an african-american philosopher, author of a book called "The Browning of America and the Evasion of Social Justice";

4. A PBS link with Jim Lehrer talking about Richard Rodriguez, mentioned above;

and
    5. Yet another article on Richard Rodriguez, this one from salon.com

MediaMatters, PBS, Salon.com - none of those could be classified as "conservative".

So it would seem from my brief googling that "Browning of America" is primarily a left-wing term. And while the possible meanings of that phrase seem pretty diverse, I didn't see anything related to "racism".

And yet, because I have the temerity to ask what you mean by "Browning of America", you say I have a closed mind.

I don't buy it.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

Why yes. Yes, I do.

I'm terribly sorry that "the browning of America" even required that you had to look into it in order to understand its meaning. "Liberal term"?? You been sniffing clem's thumbs?
    Why no, I've been using Google. (As you suggested).

And I've "looked into it" and I still don't understand its meaning.

And the fact that you seem unwilling to explain it to me tells me that you are the one with a closed mind.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Why no, I've been using Google. (As you suggested).

And I've "looked into it" and I still don't understand its meaning.

And the fact that you seem unwilling to explain it to me tells me that you are the one with a closed mind.
    Jim, the rabbit hole will run deep, the platitudes great but the actual answers very few. Just my $0.02.
    Whatever.

You seem to me to be of the "Right Wing = racist" camp, but unwilling to back up your position.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast