1.    #1  
    Last edited by Garrett92C; 08/21/2012 at 09:30 PM.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    If you left the job on good terms, call somebody there (a person that "gets things done") and ask them if they would consider re-cutting the check with your new GA address.

Legally, i really doubt that they're obligated to do anything at all because the time limit passed.

If they liked you, maybe they'll do it out of courtesy.

Good luck with that.
    Actually, the time limit on checks isn't meant to keep you away from your wages after that time, but to allow corporate accounting a way to keep an accurate track of their books. The wages are yours and all you have to do is contact the A/P department and tell them you just found the check. They will simply issue you another. This happens with companies all the time and they are legally bound to issue another payment. It really isn't a big deal, just give them a call. BTW... this answer is courtesy of the accounting dept mgr at our company.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    That's good news! I'm still excited that I found an old paycheck when i needed money the most lol.

Another question: The bank listed on the check is Bank of America. Can I go to the local BoA here and see if the check is still good?
    Nope.. the bank won't honor it... if they did, there would be no reason to print it on the check If you need the money for this weekend, you are out of luck unless the accounting dept has staff on the weekend. At least you get the cash, less my 30%.... ok.. for you 27%.
    Sorry to hear about your job, what is your field? Any prospects on horizon?
  6. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Nope.. the bank won't honor it... if they did, there would be no reason to print it on the check If you need the money for this weekend, you are out of luck unless the accounting dept has staff on the weekend. At least you get the cash, less my 30%.... ok.. for you 27%.
    The bank should honor the check for whatever duration is established by your state's banking law. Putting some extra text on a check cannot circumvent that law. In fact such a limitation writtin on a check would never hold up in court. ONLY the time limit established by law, or in the absence of such a law in youe state then the policy established by the bank, is a valid time limit. Extra text written on a check like that is purely motivational in nature only.
    buy a few lotto tickets...

you win, donate me a 3rd...
    Last edited by Neva Eva Forget 1984; 06/12/2010 at 12:18 AM. Reason: split...
    I did some digging and found that most states have to cash checks that were issued less than 6 months ago. I called my friend (our firm's accounting manager) and he said it is standard proceedure for companies to put limitations on checks, but he honestly didn't know if a bank was allowed to cash them past that date. He said to take it to the bank and try. I do know that I've had checks turned down by banks that were printed "not valid after" x number of days. But that could simply be due to an under trained teller.

Take it to your bank and let us know what they say! (call them even)

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Another possible problem: I moved to GA back in December. My year-old paycheck has my old PA address on it. I no longer have any forms of ID that state my PA address.
    You should have tax returns or something like that with your old address, don't you? Even an old utility bill. You should be able to access your old utility account on-line through that company's website and print an old bill too. But I would think you would still have a copy of any tax returns showing your address if needed.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/12/2010 at 12:29 AM.
    Best of luck!! With hitting the Friday mark and the job prospects!
    Wow, i didn't know things were this bad for you, Garrett.
    Things really are alot different here in Georgia though. I'm making less than half the money here than i did back in N.Y.C.

What kills me is, i chose to uproot my whole life in New York, where i had all my family and friends along with a 17 year career, to move down here for the weather.

That was three years ago.
    Now every time i wake up to go to work and see ice on my windshield at 4:30 in the morning, i kick myself.
    It was supposed to be warmer down here in the winter.

I didn't leave everything and everybody in New York to make less than half the money and still freeze my off.

Everybody always says the cost of living is less down here. IT'S NOT.
    The only things cheaper are gas and real-estate. That's it, nothing else.

I find it more expensive, actually.
    Even getting a real sandwich (which you could only get from Publix down here) costs $10.
    In NY, you could get that same sandwich for $6 and have a helluva lot more eating places to choose from, instead of getting lunch from a supermarket (which seems to be the thing to do here in ATL).

Try not to let it get you down, i know what ur goin' through over here, believe me.
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 06/12/2010 at 08:07 AM.
    So were you able to get everything done ok at the bank?
    That was what I figured... sorry to hear that!!