Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Really nothing surprising here, of course, but it does clarify everything into one nice concise article.

Why Is **** Cheney Silent on the Oil Spill? - Newsweek

The criticisms center on a possible conflicts of interest and cronyism. Cheney received a $34 million payout when he left Halliburton to join George W. Bush's ticket in September 2000. But the Congressional Research Service found that he "retained ties" to the company into 2003, while in government, through "unexercised stock options and deferred salary."
    In 2001 Cheney headed a team tasked with developing national energy policy. The Washington Post reported that many of those consulted were from big oil and gas companies, some also donors to the Bush campaign and the Republican Party. The task force's executive director, Andrew D. Lundquist, subsequently became a lobbyist representing companies who appeared before him—including, according to the Post, BP, Duke Energy, and the American Petroleum Institute. Critics accused the administration of cronyism, and argued that the National Energy Policy Report, issued by the White House in May 2001, was unfairly lax toward the "dirty energy" companies at the expense of renewable and sustainable alternatives.
    In 2005 President Bush signed the Energy Policy Act, which retained the focus of Cheney's report, into law. It included what has become known as "the Halliburton loophole," which removed authority from the Environmental Protection Agency to regulate a potentially dangerous gas-drilling process invented by Halliburton.
    These links, the fact that Cheney's former campaign press secretary Ann Womack-Colton has recently become BP's head of U.S. media relations, and the general pro-oil, anti-regulation atmosphere in the Bush years have not escaped the attention of the pundits. MSNBC's Chris Matthews highlighted the Halliburton-Cheney connection in an interview with Jay Leno on the BP spill. Frank Rich, in The New York Times, pointed out that the Interior Department degenerated into a "cesspool of corruption," under Bush and Cheney, and that the pair bequeathed Obama "a Minerals Management Service as broken as the Bush-Cheney FEMA exposed by Katrina."
    His ears ringing with the cries of "Cheney's Katrina," a title many are striving to bestow on the gulf oil spill, one might expect the former VP to convene journalists for a speech, like he did in May last year at the right-wing American Enterprise Institute to talk about national security. That lengthy rebuttal was timed specially to coincide with a speech President Obama gave on the same topic—a ploy calculated to get the maximum press attention. The closest we have this time is Liz Cheney, ****'s daughter, arguing with Arianna Huffington on ABC's This Week.
    We wondered why. Are the claims too substantial to refute? Is Cheney so incensed that he cannot trust himself to speak? Or, conversely, is he perhaps so sanguine about the entire issue that he doesn't feel it merits comment? We reached out to Cheney, via the American Enterprise Institute, to ask. But, perhaps unsurprisingly, there was no response by the time we posted this.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    At what point does Obama stop blaming everyone else, and start actually doing something? Someone clue me in, cause his watch is almost half over and I haven't seen issue one that he's stepped up to the plate on and taken responsibility.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    At what point does Obama stop blaming everyone else, and start actually doing something? Someone clue me in, cause his watch is almost half over and I haven't seen issue one that he's stepped up to the plate on and taken responsibility.
    I think Obama is set to waive his magic wand next week and make all our problems go away.
    Obama is likely to go down as the biggest joke of a President, well, since Carter. But you know, when you vote for some one with NO EXPERIENCE, this is what you get. I guess I shouldn't be too hard on him, I'm hearing he is having some of the best White House parties in years. ROFL....I'm still laughing about him having Paul McCartney for a party when we have all this crap going on.....good grief.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    no president that has been elected for there first term has any EXPERIENCE.. OR Is it a school they go to learn to be one . If you didn't like him why vote for him? @clemgrad 85. WHO CAres who he's eating dinner with if your not happy with how he's handling the BP thing come help out down here instead of complaining.. Yes I do live in PCOLA.
    Last edited by gangland; 06/11/2010 at 05:10 PM.
  6.    #6  
    Did you hear Obama blaming anyone else? I must have missed something, since he said the buck stops with him. On the other hand, I have no problem blaming a significant part of the disaster on Cheney. Of course, you don't actually have to read the post, you can just respond with the same lame comments you always use. Are you denying anything that the link states? Do you really not think the authors make an excellent point? Do you REALLY think that Cheney shares no blame whatsoever for the disaster? If so, have some more KoolAid.
  7.    #7  

Yeah...I don't blame you for ignoring the most important health care legislation in over 50 years. Oh, and doing away with DADT, and pulling troops out of Iraq. But you keep your blinders on, because that's what we expect from you.
    ummm just what hasnt he stepped up to...ie the spill..
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
    Quote Originally Posted by gangland View Post
    no president that has been elected for there first term has any EXPERIENCE.. OR Is it a school they go to learn to be one . If you didn't like him why vote for him? @clemgrad 85. WHO CAres who he's eating dinner with if your not happy with how he's handling the BP thing come help out down here instead of complaining.. Yes I do live in PCOLA.
    Duh.....I'm talking about having experience running anything....you know, a business, a state......something. Heck, even maybe having some experience of actually seeing how politics works. Obama had NO experience other than as a some type of part time professor and being a community organizer. But no experience in managing any type of entity.

And I didn't vote for him....let's get that straight. As for helping down there, I'll save that for when the oil spill makes it's way around to the SC coast, but thanks for the invite. There should be plenty of people available who are unfortunately out of work directly due to the spill and the oil drilling workers whom Obama has put out of work (drilling moratorium). As for the good parties.....I was just trying to say something good about the guy....the guy apparently knows how to throw good parties. for that.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    Obama is likely to go down as the biggest joke of a President, well, since Carter. But you know, when you vote for some one with NO EXPERIENCE, this is what you get. I guess I shouldn't be too hard on him, I'm hearing he is having some of the best White House parties in years. ROFL....I'm still laughing about him having Paul McCartney for a party when we have all this crap going on.....good grief.
    '

So you are very supportive of the job Cheney did, correct, since the post was about him, not Obama.

As far as your post, it's pretty funny. How much would you like to bet? Obama won't even have to breathe hard to do better than his predecessor. You keep talking about his approval ratings; at the very worse, his approval ratings are twice what Bush's were near the end of his term. If the republicants will let him govern, he will be in the top third....unlike the bottom ten with W. And as was pointed out, experience is hardly what it's cracked up to be. He has more than met my expectations. Is he perfect by my criteria? Far from it...but he could have been a pinhead and performed at a higher level than Bush. Just do your best to try and remember....just because you and the rest of the fogheads on here hate what he does, that doesn't mean the rest of the country does....and guess what? They don't. The percent disapproval and approval have varied about three percentage points in the past year...hardly suspicious of dropping support over time. Of course, you were never supportive, so you wouldn't really know.

Presidential Approval Ratings -- Barack Obama
    Nothing will ever disgrace this country like Bush-Chaney. There is no comparison.
    you really think that as of January 20th all of the policies and instruments of the outgoing president stop? Come on, Bushes impact will be felt for generations, just like obama's will be, just like every president since Washington. Imagine a world where American Domestic and Foreign policy is rebooted with every president. That is a silly thought. I know you want to forget bushes legacy, but you don't get to rewrite history.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.

If he would only be like bush, and show the people of the Gulf how to turn their frowns upside down.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    If he would only be like bush, and show the people of the Gulf how to turn their frowns upside down.
    Well....Obama could probably throw one heck of a party down there and get them happy. He seems to be really good at having parties and celebrities at the WH. And you thought I couldn't say something good about him, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by gangland View Post
    Wow.... To answer your question, no, there is no president school. Prior experience generally includes successfully guiding several large or multinational corporations, serving multiple legislative terms, governing a state, military experience, etc. etc. I'm still not sure if you were kidding or if you actually think incoming presidents are devoid of any beneficial and therefore qualifying prior experiences....?
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    Nothing will ever disgrace this country like Bush-Chaney. There is no comparison.
    We'll see what everyone says when Obama/Biden are out for the count after 1 term

Just a little pie chart, I like to call...

... and the Historians say...

And **** Cheney IS awefully quiet, wonder if he is busy planning the Haliburton Holiday party
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    We'll see what everyone says when Obama/Biden are out for the count after 1 term
    Who is Going to beat the Obama/Biden ticket?
    Palin...BAAAHAAAAHAAA!!!!
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedcas View Post
    Who is Going to beat the Obama/Biden ticket?
    I'm thinking Vitter/Ensign. Unless Larry Craig decides to throw his shoe under the divider. But of course, the real power would indeed be the Bachman/Palin ticket. Hear me roar indeed.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast