Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Surely you knew it was coming....those South Carolina scalawag republicans are at it again, with their hilarious hijinks and wonderful plot lines. Why is there absolutely not one thing the least bit surprising about any of this?

It sure seemed that South Carolina politics had reached its zenith of weirdness, with Mark Sanford still in the governor's mansion and the leading Republican gubernatorial candidate denying accusations of not one but two extramarital affairs.

But as Gaggle special South Carolina correspondent Carl Sullivan has said time and again, you can't underestimate the Palmetto State. To wit:
    A lawmaker on Thursday called a Republican gubernatorial candidate of Indian descent a "rag*head," saying we have one in the White House, we don't need one in the governor's mansion.
    For background, Republican state Sen. Jake Knotts was referring to Nikki Haley, a Tea Party–backed candidate for governor who was born to Sikh parents and later converted to Methodism. Obvious, unveiled racism like this is appalling, but individual comments like this aren't particularly interesting—it's the banality of racism, if you will.
    But it's worth wondering whether Knotts would have made the comment if Haley had been, say, black. While it's true there have been some high-profile cases of racist statements against President Obama—but there have been swift repercussions, too—CEOs have been fired and politicians have been forced to resign after circulating racist e-mails and images. The optimistic discussion about "post-racial America" may have been premature, but it's increasingly clear that racist statements about African-Americans aren't OK in public discourse.
    There's still space for racism, in different levels of clarity, though. Many observers seem to think Muslims are fair game. That's partly a legacy of history. Because of the painful, centuries-long relationship between white and black Americans—from the Atlantic slave trade to the civil-rights movement—white-on-black racism draws fast and angry responses. Muslims, meanwhile, don't have that history in the U.S., and have traditionally not been subject to the same sort of racism.

We've seen the willingness to attack Middle Easterners and Muslims in the conspiracy theory that Barack Obama is either a Muslim or an Arab—neither of which, of course, would affect his legal ability to do his job. There's also the right-wing writer who's determined to prove that the Council on American-Islamic Relations is an anti-American movement. You won't see similar books on CAIR's equally mainstream equivalent, the NAACP. More recently, there's been an outcry against opening a mosque near Ground Zero in New York.

Haley, being of Indian descent, is apparently close enough to Middle Eastern to fit. No one's denying that it's racist, but there's a middle ground—yes, it's racist, but it's harmless, you see? See, for example, the laissez-faire, "boys will be boys" mentality of a comment on wltx.com, a local news site, spotted by Wonkette: "Oh give me a break. Everyone in South Carolina knows Jake as a bull **** redneck from Lexington County. So freakin’ what if he called them rag*heads."
    In reality, of course, it's not harmless at all. It's not even so-called benevolent racism, but a plainly inflammatory slur.
    Knotts is now trying to disavow the comments, but it appears that this wasn't a one-time thing: he's made similar comments in the past, TPM reports. Despite the widespread condemnation his comments on Haley have drawn, and will draw, Knotts is living proof that for some people, it's still OK to be racist—as long as your targets are carefully chosen.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Maybe he'll join that other bigot Helen Thomas and retire?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    lol I'm from South Carolina and I want to go to Clemson.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post

Well, first you have to be an Obama hater. I think that may be a prerequisite. Second, you have to show an incredibly naive attitude toward the world outside of South Carolina. Third, you have to be emotionally ready to deal with the fact that Clemson hasn't beaten North Carolina in basketball in Chapel Hill ever....and they have been playing since 1926. If you have those characteristics, maybe you can get Clemgrad to write you a letter of support.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    ooo, brutal! lol
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    Well, first you have to be an Obama hater. I think that may be a prerequisite. Second, you have to show an incredibly naive attitude toward the world outside of South Carolina. Third, you have to be emotionally ready to deal with the fact that Clemson hasn't beaten North Carolina in basketball in Chapel Hill ever....and they have been playing since 1926. If you have those characteristics, maybe you can get Clemgrad to write you a letter of support.
    Sounds like me.
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Well....first....I don't "hate" Obama, but you clearly hate folks from SC, and that is very clear. I understand that your definition of "hate" means "one who disagrees with another", but that is not how I look at it. Do I hate many of his views....that would be a reasonable comment....but do I hate Obama? I have no reason to hate him as a person. I would have liked to have knocked his jumper into yesterday, but I doubt I'll ever get that opportunity.

Second, you have decided recently to say I am naive to anything outside of SC. In fact, you really got mad last week when I pointed how how poorly Obama's poll ratings were. You threw Gallup Polls in my face to show how good he was doing, but if you look at their polls, he has been on a steady downward trend. As I mentioned last week, if he was a stock, you would be very hesitant to buy him. In fact, here is the latest gem from Gallup: Americans Rate Obama 7 Points Worse on Spill Than Overall About the only good thing you can possibly say about his poll numbers is that he seems to have leveled off, until his core backers also start to abandon ship. Until then, likely not much change. Oh, and again, compared to the previous 8 Presidents, only 2 of the Presidents did worse in the polls after the same time period: Obama Weekly Approval Average Dips to New Low of 46%

Third....not much I can say here....I would brag about beating UNC last year, but heck, everyone beat UNC last year, including my second team, College of Charleston (they of the powerful Southern Conference). Again...can't defend this....point to you. However, not many folks head to Clemson for the basketball, if it was for a sport it would be football. The last 6 games against UNC we've won 5 of those 6, and the last game was a toasty 52-7 win (yawn).

As far as the comment about Obama and Nikki Haley, well, I didn't say say it. The Governor's race has gotten quite nasty with two men coming forward (they happen to support other canditates, but I'm sure that is just a coincident) with one claiming to have had "inappropriate" contact with her and the other a "one night stand". She denies this (she is married), and apparently no proof is available...but...that is how this race is going. I'm actully going to vote for Nikki Haley....I guess I don't have the same opinon as Jake Knotts, huh? Unfortunately, sometimes people in the same party don't see "eye-to-eye" on things and make comments they wish they hadn't....like when Jesse Jackson said, in referring to Obama, "I want to cut his nuts off." Oops....or maybe ouch? Or maybe when Jesse referred to NY City as "hymietown". Yup....sometimes people just don't think through what they are saying.

And finally....I'm extremely honored that you would take the time to make a thread that goes directly at me! I had no idea that I had gotten under your skin like I apparently have I guess that means I'm doing my job Of course, had I done a similar thread directed at attacking you, it would have been taken off and I would have gotten a PM from the moderators saying I was attacking someone and put on double secret probation. For the record, I'm a big boy and can handle davidra's attacks.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    You are a smart man young Jake....you will do well at Clemson....or as I like to pronounce it...."Clempson". Gotta have that "p" sound in there. Of course, it is very tough to get into Clempson, so I hope you got the grades. Good luck If your grades are poor, and you have a horrible SAT, well....there's always the Gamecocks. They will take about anyone there.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    You are a smart man young Jake....you will do well at Clemson....or as I like to pronounce it...."Clempson". Gotta have that "p" sound in there. Of course, it is very tough to get into Clempson, so I hope you got the grades. Good luck If your grades are poor, and you have a horrible SAT, well....there's always the Gamecocks. They will take about anyone there.
    1160 SAT
    25 ACT

Taking both again
    A/B Student at high school, take mainly Honors/AP classes.
  10.    #10  
    1160 SAT
    25 ACT

Taking both again
    A/B Student at high school, take mainly Honors/AP classes.
    Get into a real conference....Go Cocks!
  11.    #11  
    Well....first....I don't "hate" Obama, but you clearly hate folks from SC, and that is very clear. I understand that your definition of "hate" means "one who disagrees with another", but that is not how I look at it. Do I hate many of his views....that would be a reasonable comment....but do I hate Obama? I have no reason to hate him as a person. I would have liked to have knocked his jumper into yesterday, but I doubt I'll ever get that opportunity.

Second, you have decided recently to say I am naive to anything outside of SC. In fact, you really got mad last week when I pointed how how poorly Obama's poll ratings were. You threw Gallup Polls in my face to show how good he was doing, but if you look at their polls, he has been on a steady downward trend. As I mentioned last week, if he was a stock, you would be very hesitant to buy him. In fact, here is the latest gem from Gallup: Americans Rate Obama 7 Points Worse on Spill Than Overall About the only good thing you can possibly say about his poll numbers is that he seems to have leveled off, until his core backers also start to abandon ship. Until then, likely not much change. Oh, and again, compared to the previous 8 Presidents, only 2 of the Presidents did worse in the polls after the same time period: Obama Weekly Approval Average Dips to New Low of 46%

Third....not much I can say here....I would brag about beating UNC last year, but heck, everyone beat UNC last year, including my second team, College of Charleston (they of the powerful Southern Conference). Again...can't defend this....point to you. However, not many folks head to Clemson for the basketball, if it was for a sport it would be football. The last 6 games against UNC we've won 5 of those 6, and the last game was a toasty 52-7 win (yawn).

As far as the comment about Obama and Nikki Haley, well, I didn't say say it. The Governor's race has gotten quite nasty with two men coming forward (they happen to support other canditates, but I'm sure that is just a coincident) with one claiming to have had "inappropriate" contact with her and the other a "one night stand". She denies this (she is married), and apparently no proof is available...but...that is how this race is going. I'm actully going to vote for Nikki Haley....I guess I don't have the same opinon as Jake Knotts, huh? Unfortunately, sometimes people in the same party don't see "eye-to-eye" on things and make comments they wish they hadn't....like when Jesse Jackson said, in referring to Obama, "I want to cut his nuts off." Oops....or maybe ouch? Or maybe when Jesse referred to NY City as "hymietown". Yup....sometimes people just don't think through what they are saying.

And finally....I'm extremely honored that you would take the time to make a thread that goes directly at me! I had no idea that I had gotten under your skin like I apparently have I guess that means I'm doing my job Of course, had I done a similar thread directed at attacking you, it would have been taken off and I would have gotten a PM from the moderators saying I was attacking someone and put on double secret probation. For the record, I'm a big boy and can handle davidra's attacks.
    Ahhh...but no matter how bad the Heels are, the Tigers just can't seem to win in Chapel Hill. Just won't happen. EVER.

Seems like whenever poll standings come up, nobody ever seems to respond to my simple question: tell me about one politician anywhere, or any party, that has a higher approval rating than Obama. In fact, the republican leadership polls miserably.

The Republican Party may have a big election year anyway, but Americans sure don't think much of it or its leadership.

Only 28% of voters in the country say they approve of the current direction of the GOP with 51% disapproving. Even among voters who identify with the party just 54% say they like where it's headed. It's predictable that Democrats would give it very low marks but even among independents just 18% think the Republicans are headed in the right direction while 49% dissent.

One person who's not doing the party any favors is Michael Steele. Only 10% of Americans have a favorable opinion of him while 33% see him unfavorably. Even in his own party a plurality of voters have a negative view of him, with 19% saying they have an unfavorable opinion of him to 15% with a positive one.

Any thought that having Steele as the chair might help the party reach out to African Americans can be tossed away- only 5% of them have a favorable opinion of him to 53% with a negative one.

Mitch McConnell and John Boehner aren't real popular either, but they do better than Steele. Each of them is seen favorably by 15% of Americans, with 25% in Boehner's case and 26% in McConnell's viewing each of them in a negative light. They both at least, in contrast to Steele, are generally held in positive regard by Republicans. It's a 28/9 spread for Boehner and a 25/8 one for McConnell.
    Public Policy Polling: Republicans in Disarray

See, all this supposed handwringing that you righties would like to see happening among Obama supporters just isn't happening...because there are no national republicans that are seen in any kind of positive light. I'll be glad to take him against any republican in national polling....any bets?

And finally, I don't hate people from South Carolina. I even have relatives that probably live not too far from you. As a former Tarheel and current Gator, however, I would describe my feelings about South Carolina as disinterest with maybe a bit of pity.
    Get into a real conference....Go Cocks!
    You know....I don't know why, but you do give me some good laughs. On a football note, you heard of a RB from Punta Gorda name Mike Bellamy? 5 Star RB who has given an early commit to Clempson. He said he would only play in the SEC or at Clempson. If he is like other early commits, he'll change his mind 10 times between now and signing day, but, he certainly likes what he sees at Clemson. Oh, and yes, he was offered a scholarship from FL....but....oh well.

You know....I don't know why, but you do give me some good laughs. On a football note, you heard of a RB from Punta Gorda name Mike Bellamy? 5 Star RB who has given an early commit to Clempson. He said he would only play in the SEC or at Clempson. If he is like other early commits, he'll change his mind 10 times between now and signing day, but, he certainly likes what he sees at Clemson. Oh, and yes, he was offered a scholarship from FL....but....oh well.
    So my scores are okay?
  14.    #14  
    He won't get any playing time at a top level school....
    Ahhh...but no matter how bad the Heels are, the Tigers just can't seem to win in Chapel Hill. Just won't happen. EVER..
    I would take you up on that and bet against "ever", but really a silly bet as you would never really pay me.

Seems like whenever poll standings come up, nobody ever seems to respond to my simple question: tell me about one politician anywhere, or any party, that has a higher approval rating than Obama. In fact, the republican leadership polls miserably.

Public Policy Polling: Republicans in Disarray

See, all this supposed handwringing that you righties would like to see happening among Obama supporters just isn't happening...because there are no national republicans that are seen in any kind of positive light. I'll be glad to take him against any republican in national polling....any bets?
    I'm not aware that any Republican has stepped up in the National spot light. Has anyone even come out and said they were running yet? This doesn't worry me at all, as Obama continues to ruin the country, the polls will begin to turn more favorably towards Republicans because Americans can only take poor leadership for so long. The only chance Obama has is if Republicans take over Congress and Obama is forced back towards the middle. Otherwise, he will be toast. And before you get too cocky, let's wait until November, okay? Until then....all we can do is see if his approval ratings will get as low as Carter.

And finally, I don't hate people from South Carolina. I even have relatives that probably live not too far from you. As a former Tarheel and current Gator, however, I would describe my feelings about South Carolina as disinterest with maybe a bit of pity.
    So....let me get this straight....when you continue to cut down the people of SC (other than your relatives, I guess), you should not be said to "hate" such people. When I criticize Obama, I should be considered a hater. Now be honest, am I a hater because he is black? If I was criticizing a white guy, would I hate him to? Once again, a double standart.....you can criticize and love people and yet I criticize and hate. Interesting how your mind works some time.

So my scores are okay?
    Well....to be honest....I'm not real sure what the ranges are, but here is a link that gives an idea: WikiAnswers - What are the SAT score requirements to get into Clemson University It would probably depend on what major you were going to declare. My step-son was not able to get in under the major he wanted, but was able to slip in under another major and that was about 12 years ago. I've heard it has gotten more difficult since then. So, just keep working on those scores.

So my scores are okay?
    Compared to what? I'm pretty sure that the scores have been adjusted slightly since I took them, but those would have been the minimum to get a scholarship at most local colleges in my day. Then again, that was pre-TOPS. Not that it means anything in SC context.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  18.    #18  

So....let me get this straight....when you continue to cut down the people of SC (other than your relatives, I guess), you should not be said to "hate" such people. When I criticize Obama, I should be considered a hater. Now be honest, am I a hater because he is black? If I was criticizing a white guy, would I hate him to? Once again, a double standart.....you can criticize and love people and yet I criticize and hate. Interesting how your mind works some time.
    Sorry, but I didn't criticize the "people" of South Carolina. I made fun of the republican party in South Carolina (which appears to be an unending source of hilarity). Believe it or not, there is a difference. Of course, I threw in a few jabs at Clemson. BTW, I have three nieces that graduated from Clemson. One is a nurse, one a nurse midwife and one an architect. Somehow two of them turned out to be active democrats. Just lucky, I guess.
    Sorry, but I didn't criticize the "people" of South Carolina. I made fun of the republican party in South Carolina (which appears to be an unending source of hilarity). Believe it or not, there is a difference. Of course, I threw in a few jabs at Clemson. BTW, I have three nieces that graduated from Clemson. One is a nurse, one a nurse midwife and one an architect. Somehow two of them turned out to be active democrats. Just lucky, I guess.
    Grrrrrr....I hate to hear a democrat came out of Clempson.....just makes me want to cuss the darn school. By the way.....both your FL team and my Tigers advanced to the Super Regionals. Congrats to your Gators. Another by the way, I think FL and Clemson were 2 of 8 schools that had teams make a bowl game, March Madness, and the baseball playoffs. Not bad for a little ACC school, huh? Did the Tarheels make March Madness?

20.    #20  
    Grrrrrr....I hate to hear a democrat came out of Clempson.....just makes me want to cuss the darn school. By the way.....both your FL team and my Tigers advanced to the Super Regionals. Congrats to your Gators. Another by the way, I think FL and Clemson were 2 of 8 schools that had teams make a bowl game, March Madness, and the baseball playoffs. Not bad for a little ACC school, huh? Did the Tarheels make March Madness?
    Nope. They just won the National Championship the year before last and graduated all their players so they had a rebuilding year. In fact, it's been quite nice being at two schools that have won national championships, and one that held both football and basketball at the same time. Let's see....when did Clemson win the national championship? Oh, that's right...NEVER. However, even with a horrible record and not making the tournament, the Heels still beat Clemson in Chapel Hill....as always.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast