1.    #1  
    Disabling "Switch User" From Logoff Menu on Windows XP

Hi All,

Is it possible to disable the "Switch User" icon when someone hits the Logoff Button on the Start Menu?

I'm not talking about disabling fast user switching - I want to keep that - but I just want to make it so no one can hit the "Switch User" and keep that userID logged in. I want each person to completely logoff.

Is there some sort of registry hack or option to do this?

Thank you all for the help
    Originally posted by MitzEclipse
    Disabling "Switch User" From Logoff Menu on Windows XP

Hi All,

Is it possible to disable the "Switch User" icon when someone hits the Logoff Button on the Start Menu?
    IanP gave you the correct answer (at the bottom of the page he links to).
    I'm not talking about disabling fast user switching - I want to keep that - but I just want to make it so no one can hit the "Switch User" and keep that userID logged in. I want each person to completely logoff.
    Um...actually, you _are_ talking about fast user switching. That's what it is. It lets you change to another user without having to log out or close any programs.
    Is there some sort of registry hack or option to do this?
    Turn off fast user switching.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  4.    #4  
    Well I guess the question is "How do I FORCE users to LOGOUT rather then to "Switch User" ?

Thanks for the link guys, but I already knew how to activate/deactivate fast user switching.... the reason I want people to log off rather then "Switch user" is because I don't have enough CPU resources to keep mutiple userID's logged in. Making sure everyone logs out keeps resource requirements low so the current user can have a faster machine.

Anyone? Thanks
    A post-it note.
    -Bernie

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
    -Dan Quayle
  6.    #6  
    LOL ernieba1, but I'd like to seriously figure this out... there's gotta be a way!
    Well I guess the question is "How do I FORCE users to LOGOUT rather then to "Switch User" ?
    By deactivating fast user switching, and not giving them that option anymore.
    Thanks for the link guys, but I already knew how to activate/deactivate fast user switching....
    Then what's the problem? That should give you exactly the results you're asking about.
    the reason I want people to log off rather then "Switch user" is because I don't have enough CPU resources to keep mutiple userID's logged in. Making sure everyone logs out keeps resource requirements low so the current user can have a faster machine.

Anyone? Thanks
    Deactivating fast user switching _will_ force them to logout. It's called 'fast user switching' because it switches users without logging out the original user, thus reducing the amount of time it takes for logging that user off and then the other user to log back on. If you disable it, it will do a complete log off and log on every time.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Previous posters are right.

Can't have both.

Remember also:

• Cannot enable Fast user switching if Network Offline Files enabled.
      Cannot enable Fast user switching while multiple users logged in.
      SerialKey devices will not work while fast switching is enabled.
      Only workgroups, not domains, can enable fast user switching.
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by Toby
    Deactivating fast user switching _will_ force them to logout. It's called 'fast user switching' because it switches users without logging out the original user, thus reducing the amount of time it takes for logging that user off and then the other user to log back on. If you disable it, it will do a complete log off and log on every time. [/B]
    Yes, what I want them to do is do a complete log off and log on every time, BUT, I want the menu for them to just click on their login name so they don't have to type in their user ID to login.

So basically it's either we figure out a way to ENABLE the menu at startup so they can click on their own user id and not type in anything

...or...

figure out a way to DISABLE the "SWITCH USER" button and just allow the LOG OFF button.
    Yes, what I want them to do is do a complete log off and log on every time, BUT, I want the menu for them to just click on their login name so they don't have to type in their user ID to login.

So basically it's either we figure out a way to ENABLE the menu at startup so they can click on their own user id and not type in anything

...or...

figure out a way to DISABLE the "SWITCH USER" button and just allow the LOG OFF button.
    Have you actually looked at the dialog box we're talking about? Fast User Switching and the Welcome Screen are two different things. You can selectively enable or disable either independently. The only way that you lose both is if you join a domain. Here's a screen shot of what I'm talking about...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Here's a screen shot of what I'm talking about...
    Hey toby, where did you get the MacOS theme you're using? The buttons look better than the one I'm using. Any chance you could post a link or the zip files?
    Originally posted by IanP
    Hey toby, where did you get the MacOS theme you're using? The buttons look better than the one I'm using. Any chance you could post a link or the zip files?
    Here it is. I like it because the button orientation is the only one I've found where it's actually intuitive (yellow for minimize, green for maximize/restore, and red for close). There's also a link on ThemeXP to DeskMod where if you search for OS X, there are some more neat icons and stuff. The funny thing is that there's even an OS X theme that will make a Mac look more like XP Luna! lol
  13.    #13  
    Have you actually looked at the dialog box we're talking about? Fast User Switching and the Welcome Screen are two different things. You can selectively enable or disable either independently. The only way that you lose both is if you join a domain. Here's a screen shot of what I'm talking about...
    Toby and all - you guys are absolutely correct. I would have posted on this earlier, but I didn't go over to my parent's house for quite some time to work on their computer.

I flipped that check box and bam! It works!

Thanks again, and sorry for all the grief!
    Toby and all - you guys are absolutely correct. I would have posted on this earlier, but I didn't go over to my parent's house for quite some time to work on their computer.

I flipped that check box and bam! It works!

Thanks again, and sorry for all the grief!
    heh...you're welcome and no problem. Glad it worked. I actually tried it myself at the point that I took that screen shot, because at that point I was wondering if XP had a bug where the behavior wasn't what it should have been.