Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    This isnt a slam at the mods, but Lately the Mods have been working overtime moving threads to what they consider the "proper place". The Palm Pre section is by far the most popular place here so while its naturally where people would post everytng on their mind, I'm all for keeping the EVO Talk out of there just to minimize the flame wars. BUT, we're also seeing an enormous amount of thread merging and topic movement for stuff that would seem to be posted in the proper areas. In Palm Pre then lots of interesting topics get moved to less popular areas of the boards, any post that mentions EVO gets thrown to that jumbled Evo vs Pre thread even if they're not necessarily only about the EVO.

Again, I'm not trying to tell the mods what to do. But as a forum where everything about the future of the Pre or even the EVO is questionable then wouldn't it be better to let popular threads rise to the top and unwanted topics die naturally? Keep the Pre forum EVO-free but why not let cross-platform run wild (to an extent)? Just because there's a rush to the EVO now doesn't mean people won't come back to Palm at next contract renewal so why push them out the door so quickly by shifting and hiding things that current and former Palm supporters have to say?
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    I, for one, appreciate the thread moving and merging. ESPECIALLY the merging. I do try to use this form as a place to learn and will use search to do that. If I get 10,15,20 thread hits on a topic, I can find that discouraging and 'put-offish'.

So, the mods have my THANK YOU
    I think the Mods are doing a good job so far. A forum with over 377,000 members really needs to stay organized.

Personally, it doesn't matter where a thread is. I only use the 'New Posts' page when browsing the forum.
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    +1 garrett

I primarily use that too
    I can appreciate your wonderment as to why we are doing this right now - perhaps the full Mods can give you a better answer, but right now, the boards are flowing very quickly with the EVO launch. Whenever a big event happens (be it the launch, or a new OS update, etc) we have to quickly group some conversations under a main thread. Yes, there are some differences in the EVO posts, but if they are comparison discussions, we have a main thread we are placing those in to keep the main forums moving. It can seem arbitrary to some members, but if we don't try and maintain some kind of sorting, the new posts will take up pages and pages of space, no one will be able to keep track of discussions, and it will become a madhouse - dogs and cats living together - total chaos.

We do our best to keep the user experience a positive one, and with that comes some decision making as to how to maintain a flowing and balanced forum. We know there will be some who don't agree with some decisions, but we aren't trying to hinder peoples posts and flow of information - just trying to manage it in a smooth way during busy times.

I hope that helps! And we do appreciate your understanding and all of your posts!
    I use the new posts button as well. Props to the mods for keeping the place organized.
    What's the diff. between cross platform chat and other handhelds threads?
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    Thats part of my problem. There are so many subcategories that seem to overlap. This place isn't that busy so to have one thread appear here one day and then suddenly get moved over there the next is odd. But if that's how it works I'll deal with it.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    I think this thread needs to be moved to the site feedback forum .
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    I think this thread needs to be moved to the site feedback forum .
    I noticed that but wasn't going to say anything lol
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    Cross-Platform = comparison discussions about webOS devices vs. another platform

Other Handhelds = specific discussions about other company's devices (ie: iPhone, Evo, etc).
    @ Groovy.... LOL.. I'm done if you want to move it
    I have really appreciated it. Not only does it make the 'new posts' button work better, not it makes searching easier. Most of all you don't have people asking/answering the same question over and over and over. Kudos! What a dirty/thankless job the mods have...

to me, the location isn't the issue- duplicates are the problem...

here is an example of what they are trrying to prevent, from the department of redundancy department:
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 06/05/2010 at 08:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I have really appreciated it. Not only does it make 'new posts' work better, not it makes searching easier. Most of all you don't have people asking/answering the same question over and over and over. Kudos! What a dirty/thankless job...
    Mike Rowe should do an episode of Dirty Jobs about forum moderators! I don't think it would be too interesting though...
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Mike Rowe should do an episode of Dirty Jobs about forum moderators! I don't think it would be too interesting though...
    excellent idea!
    I have mixed feelings. On one hand the merging makes things more organized and searching easier. But on the other hand It makes Precentral forums boring. I mean there isn't any news about palm. So you might as well allow it. It makes things here fun. But organization is more important. Wish there was a better of way of having organization and still being fun instead of that huge Evo thread, with random conversations mixed together.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    ...here is an example of what they are trrying to prevent, from the department of redundancy department:

http://m.forums.precentral.net/palm-...re-800mhz.html
    I understand... but I try and cut a bit more slack to new members. I did the same thing my first time here too. I want to get them excited to come here... then we can beat them over the head with rules
    new threads on the same topic or question keep popping up like whack-a-mole...

you notice it more I you use'new posts' and see the redundancy...
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    I have mixed feelings. On one hand the merging makes things more organized and searching easier. But on the other hand It makes Precentral forums boring. I mean there isn't any news about palm. So you might as well allow it. It makes things here fun. But organization is more important. Wish there was a better of way of having organization and still being fun instead of that huge Evo thread, with random conversations mixed together.
    Totally understand... what you will see us do when there isn't a big launch or OS update keeping the forums busy, is to allow other stuff to stay in the Pre forum for a while because it's popular, and then move it later. Once the EVO posts slow down, we'll be a lot slower to move stuff (not meaning lazy)
    cantaffordit... and you've been great about helping us see them. Sometimes we do have to get up from the computers Just remember, you were new once too... a loooong loooong time ago! lol

Hey! Congrats on hitting the 3K mark! You have now become a Runner! Please report to LastDay...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast