1.    #1  
    Since this area of the forum seems to be begging for a name change from "Off-Topic" to "Politics", here is yet another political thread for you debate lovers.

Do you think that the "little people" (the average citizens) of Iraq (NOT the world) are better off now, without Saddam, or were their lives more predictable (and/or safe) with him in control?
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    This is it? A 9 year old debate is going to be rekindled into "The Mother of all threads"? I'm cool with the topic and all, but if you're goal is to start the Mother, you might want move forward a decade or so....
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    This is it? A 9 year old debate is going to be rekindled into "The Mother of all threads"? I'm cool with the topic and all, but if you're goal is to start the Mother, you might want move forward a decade or so....
    It's seven years for this, not nine.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    It's seven years for this, not nine.
    from the actual invasion, yes. the debate was ongoing long before that.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    You do realize that question does not justify the debate right? Your question is far too simplistic for what was actually going inside Iraq before Saddam's regime was toppled.
    By an average citizen, do you refer to a Baghdad citizen, rural farmer from the north of Iraq, Urban Iraqi etc?
    What do you mean by better off? More resources, freedom of speech, less oppression on minorities, more job stability, etc?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    from the actual invasion, yes. the debate was ongoing long before that.
    I see what you're saying. Notice that I didn't state my feelings about it.

I just want to see what other people here think about this.
    I thought the mother of all debates was Ginger or MaryAnne...
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by runukraine View Post
    MaryAnne deeeefinitely!
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I see what you're saying. Notice that I didn't state my feelings about it.

I just want to see what other people here think about this.
    Not sure how to answer you orig post, but I do believe they have a brighter future without a despot who committed genocide on his own people at the helm.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    You do realize that question does not justify the debate right? Your question is far too simplistic for what was actually going inside Iraq before Saddam's regime was toppled.
    By an average citizen, do you refer to a Baghdad citizen, rural farmer from the north of Iraq, Urban Iraqi etc?
    What do you mean by better off? More resources, freedom of speech, less oppression on minorities, more job stability, etc?
    Average means average, no matter how you slice it. I'm talking day-to-day life.

Is the average guy or woman's daily life better now with him or without him.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by runukraine View Post
    I'd be happy with a Corona and either one, lol lol.
    Average means average, no matter how you slice it. I'm talking day-to-day life.

Is the average guy or woman's daily life better now with him or without him.
    Since you're american you will find this very easy. Could you describe an average american to me please?
    I don't mean to be difficult here but your question is far to simple.
    You don't mention whether we are debating long term or short term impact.
  13.    #13  
    Since you're american you will find this very easy. Could you describe an average american to me please?
    I don't mean to be difficult here but your question is far to simple.
    You don't mention whether we are debating long term or short term impact.
    If you're not trying to be difficult, then stop answering my questions with questions, lol.
    Justify the question and I will answer it.
  15.    #15  
    Justify the question and I will answer it.
    What's to justify?
    Your average citizen (shop worker or farmer) wakes up to go to work.
    He/she works.
    He/she eats lunch.
    He/she has dinner with their family.
    He/she goes to sleep.