View Poll Results: Should P|C Poll makers try to show less bias in their questions?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 42.86%
  • No

4 28.57%
  • Bias... What bias?

4 28.57%
  1.    #1  
    Essentially my question is, after having looked around at various polls, should people make more of an effort to ask questions that aren't dripping with bias?
    Quote Originally Posted by runukraine View Post
    Essentially my question is, after having looked around at various polls, should people make more of an effort to ask questions that aren't dripping with bias?
    Can you give us an example?
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by runukraine View Post
    I completely agree.

I've noticed it for a long time now, but never said anything. It's not a big deal to me, but I understand where you are coming from...
    It is nature. A lot of people instigate polls to prove their own point and hence the reason we will always see an element of bias in these polls.

Take your poll for example, you have chosen to put 'yes' as the first choice since you believe the answer is yes. Whether this was a conscience or subconscience decision the bias is still evident.
  5.    #5  
    I've noticed it mostly in the off-topic forum... every once in a while it'll sneak into Pre related discussion.

I'll look for an example when I have time and am not at work.

To me it just seems to stymie intelligent discussion. People instantly line up on one side or the other and shut their brain off to any other point of view.

At least that's my perception.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Take your poll for example, you have chosen to put 'yes' as the first choice since you believe the answer is yes. Whether this was a conscience or subconscience decision the bias is still evident.
    True... I'm coming from an anti-bias perspective. It is very difficult to construct a question/poll in a way that doesn't reveal bias in some way (How the question is asked, who the question is asked of, questions that precede a particular question, etc). I'm just asking that people try to tone down the amount of bias revealed in their question, because I believe it produces a more interesting discussion... Instead of questions like "Should we continue to give BILLIONS of your tax dollars to Israel every year?" we could have questions like "Should the United States continue to provide foreign aid to Israel?"

As far as having yes first, I'd imagine 95% (not actual figure) of polls have an affirmative as the first answer. Do you agree or disagree?, Yes or no?, Are you for or against?, etc. I don't know if that's some sort of cultural or linguistic bias revealed there.
    Can we have polls without a bias?

a- No

b- NO

c- NO

d- NO
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    I didn't realize that PC was supposed to be doing scientific polling with serious consequences. Has anyone told Dieter that he is part of a vast media conspiracy to away users to like Palm through a biased agenda?

he needs to know you are on to him...