Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    Well, it seems Radioshack has hired the same group to take care of their sale. Blackstone group is in the running for the purcahse, somewhere in the 3 billion mark. The article states that it could be possible that BestBuy is in the running the expand its mobile offerings. (so more of the BestBuy Mobile stores)

    My question is, do you think HP should take a bid on this? Why not? They seem to have enough product line to fill a radioshack 4 times over. not to mention, we wouldn't have to worry so much about "Trained personal" to sell our wonderful Palm Pre(+)'s.

    Is RadioShack for sale? - Dallas Business Journal

    What do you think?
  2. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPre View Post
    Well, it seems Radioshack has hired the same group to take care of their sale. Blackstone group is in the running for the purcahse, somewhere in the 3 billion mark. The article states that it could be possible that BestBuy is in the running the expand its mobile offerings. (so more of the BestBuy Mobile stores)

    My question is, do you think HP should take a bid on this? Why not? They seem to have enough product line to fill a radioshack 4 times over. not to mention, we wouldn't have to worry so much about "Trained personal" to sell our wonderful Palm Pre(+)'s.

    Is RadioShack for sale? - Dallas Business Journal

    What do you think?
    Only if HP kept it open to other brands. If it becomes simply an HP products shop, it'll collapse under it's own weight and die a quick death.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  3. #3  
    I think HP buying RadioShack would be like Nike buying Foot Locker. Why expend the cash to run a company that already sells your stuff? If HP was looking for a place to hawk their mechandise, then maybe this makes sense.

    Now the BestBuy thing actually might have some merit.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Only if HP kept it open to other brands. If it becomes simply an HP products shop, it'll collapse under it's own weight and die a quick death.
    Should someone mention that to those other guys...

    Microsoft Pri0 | Microsoft store coming to Bellevue Square | Seattle Times Newspaper

    Anything is possible..... HP has such a huge line of products.... They could fill a Costco with Printers & toasters! (oh wait, still waiting for the toaster, but, if it comes, I'm sure there will be over a million heat cartridges..
  5. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    I think HP buying RadioShack would be like Nike buying Foot Locker. Why expend the cash to run a company that already sells your stuff? If HP was looking for a place to hawk their mechandise, then maybe this makes sense.

    Now the BestBuy thing actually might have some merit.
    +1
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  6. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPre View Post
    Should someone mention that to those other guys...

    Microsoft Pri0 | Microsoft store coming to Bellevue Square | Seattle Times Newspaper

    Anything is possible..... HP has such a huge line of products.... They could fill a Costco with Printers & toasters! (oh wait, still waiting for the toaster, but, if it comes, I'm sure there will be over a million heat cartridges..
    Stop and think about. They already are on just about every distributors and outlet's shelf. It would make more sense for someone looking to gain share. HP would be overkill if they made it into an HP store. Not saying they shouldn't consider acquiring, just that if they do, they should keep it multibrand.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  7. #7  
    I would have thought no to HP but the apple stores have been a huge success... You could be on to something...
  8. bjs188's Avatar
    Posts
    188 Posts
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I would have thought no to HP but the apple stores have been a huge success... You could be on to something...
    +1
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I would have thought no to HP but the apple stores have been a huge success... You could be on to something...
    Anyone remember the Gateway stores? Ah, childhood memories When I was a kid I always wanted to go in there to buy a computer (even though I rarely even had enough money to buy a gameboy game )
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Anyone remember the Gateway stores? Ah, childhood memories When I was a kid I always wanted to go in there to buy a computer (even though I rarely even had enough money to buy a gameboy game )
    I remember them -- catastrophic concept.

    Customers could go to see and feel the machines -- but could only order online.

    Completely missed the reasons Apple succeeded (despite near universal belief at the time that they would also fail).

    HP would be be Fiorina stupid to buy RS --- the only thing RS has is leases --a presence in a million mini and mega malls.

    Trouble is most of those were negotiated when space was at a premium.

    RS is a useful resource for me when a need a cable or adapter right now -- I would never buy anything significant there. But I hope they survive.

    Their stores are too small to compete with BestBuy, Walmart, or Target. What is their competitive advantage ?? Why do they exist ???

    Remember Palm's attempt at its own stores ????

    Disastrous.

    I hate HP but I can't imagine that Hurd is as dumb as Fiorina -- so dumb as to think of buying them -- it would be unimaginably stupid.

    (nor can I see a legit rationalization for Best Buy acquiring them --- what would they be getting -- a million mini outlet phone stores ??? for 3 BILLION ????.

    Give me a break -- if they want to go that way --- stupid, but maybe -- they could open up from a fresh slate, new leases, new BB trained staff, no legacy costs associated with RS.

    BB stock price would fall 15-25% on an acquisition.
    Last edited by BARYE; 06/02/2010 at 04:29 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Only if HP kept it open to other brands. If it becomes simply an HP products shop, it'll collapse under it's own weight and die a quick death.
    Totally agree!
  12. RPFTW's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    I remember them -- catastrophic concept.

    Customers could go to see and feel the machines -- but could only order online.

    Completely missed the reasons Apple succeeded (despite near universal belief at the time that they would also fail).

    HP would be be Fiorina stupid to buy RS --- the only thing RS has is leases --a presence in a million mini and mega malls.

    Trouble is most of those were negotiated when space was at a premium.

    RS is a useful resource for me when a need a cable or adapter right now -- I would never buy anything significant there. But I hope they survive.

    Their stores are too small to compete with BestBuy, Walmart, or Target. What is their competitive advantage ?? Why do they exist ???

    Remember Palm's attempt at its own stores ????

    Disastrous.

    I hate HP but I can't imagine that Hurd is as dumb as Fiorina -- so dumb as to think of buying them -- it would be unimaginably stupid.

    (nor can I see a legit rationalization for Best Buy acquiring them --- what would they be getting -- a million mini outlet phone stores ??? for 3 BILLION ????.

    Give me a break -- if they want to go that way --- stupid, but maybe -- they could open up from a fresh slate, new leases, new BB trained staff, no legacy costs associated with RS.

    BB stock price would fall 15-25% on an acquisition.
    Radioshack has the best deals on cellphones for AT&T, SPRINT, and T-MOBILE.
  13. #13  
    thank goodness there is a Fry's Electronics nearby. And ever since AL Gore invented those internets, I've been able to find most things on-line if Fry's doesn't have them...

Posting Permissions